help needed with WinIsd - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2013, 10:18 AM   #21
more10 is offline more10  Sweden
diyAudio Member

It will work. But there will be small resonances in the response curve because of the difference in angles. The driver has a wider exit angle than the horns entry angle.

The BMS 4591 has the same but opposite problem, compression driver throats, the driver has a narrower exit angle than the horn. Maybe the driver delivers a plane wave at the exit, then not a big problem.

One thing about the Auto-Tech horns. The have an exit diameter of exactly 2" (51,8 mm). The exit diameter of a JBL 2" driver is 49 mm. So you may have to make an adapter.

You also have the option to get 1.4" drivers and horns. The 4594ND-MID might have a 3 degrees exit just as 4594ND.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:20 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by more10 View Post
It will work. But there will be small resonances in the response curve because of the difference in angles. The driver has a wider exit angle than the horns entry angle.

The BMS 4591 has the same but opposite problem, compression driver throats, the driver has a narrower exit angle than the horn. Maybe the driver delivers a plane wave at the exit, then not a big problem.

One thing about the Auto-Tech horns. The have an exit diameter of exactly 2" (51,8 mm). The exit diameter of a JBL 2" driver is 49 mm. So you may have to make an adapter.

You also have the option to get 1.4" drivers and horns. The 4594ND-MID might have a 3 degrees exit just as 4594ND.

nice info. thanks.
I'm not expert in horns and I don't know anything about exit angles. you probably know Oris horns. Oris guy sells modified BMS 4592ND. I can afford t buy a pair of those but I can't buy a pair of Oris horns for about 800 Euros. do you think 4592ND will work in any of the Auto-tech horns which are less expensive (and look better IMO)?
4592ND reaches 114-115db of efficiency in Oris horns. I don't know if they will do the same thing in Autotech
Old 29th January 2013, 12:11 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The have an exit diameter of exactly 2" (51,8 mm)
Should be 50,8
Old 29th January 2013, 12:33 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oris guy sells modified BMS 4592ND
This is a coaxial extended range driver. It will not work well on a traditional horn. Maybe on a waveguide.

Go for two traditional drivers instead, one with 2" exit and another with 1" exit. Use two horns. The Auto-tech JMLC-200T is excellent. The JMLC-1000 is also very good and can be used from 2kHz and up.

The Radian 650PB will fit the JMLC-1000. Or use the BMS 4550. Same problem here with exit and entry angles. The Radian has a nice exit angle, but the BMS has too wide exit angle. You can get BMS from USSpeaker (you are US citicen?).
Old 29th January 2013, 02:40 PM   #25
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Xmax of 7 meter? Wow

Click the image to open in full size.
LOL! I didn't look at the specs, but considering it has a 380 meter diameter, especially with no Sd, a 7 m Xmax isn't unreasonable!

A program that only uses Fs, Vas, Qts can calculate some totally unreal alignments!

GM
Old 29th January 2013, 03:57 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
This is a coaxial extended range driver. It will not work well on a traditional horn. Maybe on a waveguide.

Go for two traditional drivers instead, one with 2" exit and another with 1" exit. Use two horns. The Auto-tech JMLC-200T is excellent. The JMLC-1000 is also very good and can be used from 2kHz and up.

The Radian 650PB will fit the JMLC-1000. Or use the BMS 4550. Same problem here with exit and entry angles. The Radian has a nice exit angle, but the BMS has too wide exit angle. You can get BMS from USSpeaker (you are US citicen?).
I know I can go for 2way in hf section. BUT, is Oris a waveguide or a horn? 4592ND works fine in Oris horn so I thought it might work is a Autotech too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
LOL! I didn't look at the specs, but considering it has a 380 meter diameter, especially with no Sd, a 7 m Xmax isn't unreasonable!

A program that only uses Fs, Vas, Qts can calculate some totally unreal alignments!

GM
Uh come on guys don't be like that. first time on WinIsd.
Old 29th January 2013, 04:10 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Still keeping the woofer a secret huh?
Old 29th January 2013, 04:15 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
Still keeping the woofer a secret huh?
Uh actually after 9/11 it's among the top secret classified files in Pentagon no I'm kiddin'. it's just Bob's CW1526 made by Eminence as a replacement for Klipsch K-33. that's it
Old 29th January 2013, 04:25 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BUT, is Oris a waveguide or a horn?
DIY Oris horns. Looks like tractrix horn to me.

Trust me, the 4592ND will not work well on these. You will get a very very small sweetspot. There is also something not quite right with this driver, if I remember correctly there is some problem with the transition from one diaphragm to the other. It probably works ok for pro applications, but I doubt it is suitable for HiFi.

Quote:
Uh come on guys don't be like that. first time on WinIsd.
Well he starts with a LOL! Probably only thought it was amusing.
Old 29th January 2013, 04:39 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
DIY Oris horns. Looks like tractrix horn to me.

Trust me, the 4592ND will not work well on these. You will get a very very small sweetspot. There is also something not quite right with this driver, if I remember correctly there is some problem with the transition from one diaphragm to the other. It probably works ok for pro applications, but I doubt it is suitable for HiFi.

Well he starts with a LOL! Probably only thought it was amusing.
a 380 meter diagram woofer in a well tuned cab will probably move the moon from planet! or maybe a climate warming remedy as it might be able to shot back the Sun a bit

Hide this!Advertise here!