help needed with WinIsd - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Xmax of 7 meter? Wow

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th January 2013, 12:41 PM   #12
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Using a driver of 437L / 15.6cuft Vas leads to the
very silly sized box for doing 100Hz to 500Hz.

You can build a very decent sub in 121L.

Driver choice here is poor. I'm not sure what the
15" is designed for, but certainly not this job.

rgds, sreten.
Old 28th January 2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by more10 View Post
Then you should simulate using Hornresp. Winisd is completely useless in this case.
Uh thanks for the tip, but I'm just like Alies in Wonderland when I open Hornresp is there any specific thread about this software?
Old 28th January 2013, 01:50 PM   #14
more10 is offline more10  Sweden
diyAudio Member

hornresp thread. You are not allowed to ask any questions before reading the whole thread . Just kidding :-).

It is not as difficult at it seems when you start. Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone
Old 28th January 2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
hornresp thread. You are not allowed to ask any questions before reading the whole thread . Just kidding :-).

It is not as difficult at it seems when you start. Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone
Uh thanks a lot seems my first post would be some years after next ice age I should read all the post before that
Old 28th January 2013, 03:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
The reason for horn loading is efficiency. That gives you both lower harmonic distortion and higher SPLs, all things being equal. All things are not equal in the behavior of the cone. Build both and let us know.
We probably disagree on the best (or just reasonably effective) current ways to meet the same goals, but it doesn't matter here because I misread the OP's post - I was thinking this was a direct-radiating 15" handing off to a midrange horn at 500Hz. Now I see it's supposed to be a 100-500Hz front-loaded mid so... yes I agree with you, and sreten, and more10.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
We probably disagree on the best (or just reasonably effective) current ways to meet the same goals, but it doesn't matter here because I misread the OP's post - I was thinking this was a direct-radiating 15" handing off to a midrange horn at 500Hz. Now I see it's supposed to be a 100-500Hz front-loaded mid so... yes I agree with you, and sreten, and more10.

what if use it in a direct radiating cab and use DCX2496 to cross the lows to do some +db or just turn up the woofer amplifier to meet the higher efficiency of HF section (~110db/w/m)?

or

what if we use this 15 incher from 100hz - 300hz and let the rest top to the hf? Radian 950PB is capable to be crossed at about 300hz in a home use as micro watt amps could be used. am I wrong?
Old 28th January 2013, 04:31 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Seems like it's probably the wrong woofer for the job for several reasons, but what is it anyway? The parameters seem a bit unusual.. Do you have an HF horn already, or this all hypothetical?
Old 28th January 2013, 04:58 PM   #19
more10 is offline more10  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Horn loading from say 400 Hz and up is quite difficult with cone drivers. You will also need to take care of baffle step fenomenon, around 300 Hz that is. Myself I am planning to use a straight 180 Hz horn with a compression driver from 300 to 2,5 kHz. Ready made horns of this size are available from DIY-soundgroup if you don't want to make them yourself. Possible drivers are Radian, JBL cores with radian diaphragms, JBL with phenolium diaphragms and BMS. The Radian driver has an exit angle that isn't optimal for this kind of horn though. Go for the BMS if you have the money, else JBL with Radian diaphragm.

Below 300 cone drivers are the only option for horn loading, but they will be very big. They will sound better than any other enclosure in my opinion, but you need the space. If you donīt have the space you will have to figure out something else.

What is the 15 inch you have?
Old 29th January 2013, 05:16 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Horn loading from say 400 Hz and up is quite difficult with cone drivers. You will also need to take care of baffle step fenomenon, around 300 Hz that is. Myself I am planning to use a straight 180 Hz horn with a compression driver from 300 to 2,5 kHz. Ready made horns of this size are available from DIY-soundgroup if you don't want to make them yourself. Possible drivers are Radian, JBL cores with radian diaphragms, JBL with phenolium diaphragms and BMS. The Radian driver has an exit angle that isn't optimal for this kind of horn though. Go for the BMS if you have the money, else JBL with Radian diaphragm.

Below 300 cone drivers are the only option for horn loading, but they will be very big. They will sound better than any other enclosure in my opinion, but you need the space. If you donīt have the space you will have to figure out something else.

What is the 15 inch you have?

Uh thanks buddy for the good info
did you mean that Radian 950PB won't work in Autotech horns because of the exit angle and horn length?

Hide this!Advertise here!