audiophile midrange ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Id agree that the visaton AL130 M version is worth consideration, Ive used the normal version up to nearly 4k with success, but the M version reaches far enough beyond that to make them far easier to use as a dedicted mid. Audax HM130ZO or 100ZO also look ok to me, but more costly than the Visaton (i think). The 50mm domes appeal to me but id fear that their low end power handling/THD wouldnt keep up with a cone mid, but i havent heard or seen data that proves this. I have also heard good things about that Tangband.

Last edited:
WoW!! Thanks for all the excellent suggestions !! I never even thought about going plannar (though I must confess I'm not brave enough to try :p ) This is the most indecisive I've ever been :(

In the past I've always gone for Low XO points.. My current system for example (12" sub, 7" scan speak revelator & 1" ss rev twt) is crossed over at 70 & 2800 Htz. and it shows weakness with midbass, and imaging..

This time around I want tight tight bass, and great imaging... I don't care much for the 20-30 htz range (anymore), and Im hoping some quality woofers crossed-over much higher (150-300) , along with a mid that has excellent dispersion in the 3000-4000.. might do the trick...

So far:
-I've decided on my enclosure design and decided to go with dual 10" woofers, (exact volumes yet determined)
- I'll use etheir the 1" accuton ceramic, or the 1" scanspeak berlynium tweet..
-I still researching all the excellent mids you guys suggested !!!!

Most importantly I want to determine whether to go with 1 mid, or 2!?!!?!
so I can finalize the enclosure design and send it off to be made !! (cnc)

You guys gave such excellent suggestions on the mids!!!
I wonder what you think about going Single or dual???

-dual 5" (im leaning this way)
-single 7" (queezy on typical 7" dispersion 3200 htz)
- single / dual 6" ?!?!

Any votes and comments??

Thanks so much guys!! Over the years I've built close to a hundred pair of speakers (my profession in the late 90's) This will be my 5th set for myself... I recently bought a Bryston 2.5b (20 year warrenty!!!!) , and Linx Hilo, I'm honestly hoping I will happy enough with these speakers and system, that it will be the last system i build.. :)

Cheers!
-Justin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.