Fostex full ranges as Midranges? in sealed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yup - you could quite possibly go even lower with the LF XO - in a small box sealed or otherwise, the FE126E won't dig very deep, but 200-300 should easily be achievable.

As weltersys notes, getting the XO "right" (whatever exactly that means ;)) is the most fun part of multi-ways - with the proliferation of affordable digital XO/EQ, and downright silly inexpensive digital maps, active would be my first suggestion .

Note that if you're looking for dynamics, colourful and forward presentation throughout the midrange, the FE126 is a great choice - but super-smooth in the 3000-8000 range it's not - and some folks might consider the top above 15K to be dry.

If you do decide to carry this through, I'd suggest you try to avoid HF XO as low as 4K - indeed a smaller Fostex such as the FF85WK* could very likely eliminate the need for a tweeter at all .

* amazing little bugger this one is

Last edited:
i want to use them in 3 way.... I would be using vifa XTSC 1" tweeter crossed at 4k or 5k but im just looking phenomenally smooth mid im completely fedup with most of the mids... please show me the Nirvana..

"phenomenally smooth" and any of the FE /FF series I've heard except for the FE108EZ would be contradictory - now the Alpair 7.3 is a different story - "Nirvana?", who knows but you?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
one strange question why is the power handling of these drivers is very small? i feel very surprise that is that the real wattage? like for FE126 its 15W? strange I feel...

There is no standard for measuring power handling, so it ends up really being the domain of the marketing department. I ignore that number.

What Chris meant when he mentioned the FE108eS is that it might well be the best choice ($$ not considered) Fostex to use as a midrange.

dave

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I like FF125K full range as mid for 3-way speakers
Audio Pages: The way I like speakers these days
however, my aplication was a little bit different, I put the mid on open baffle, and used the mid in much large region, I crossed it from 180Hz up...it can hand it quite well, it is specified for 16 watts continuoes and 50 watts music, which is plenty considering its 92 dB sensitivity, I never play more than watt or two on it...
http://www.einklang-audio.com/treiber/fostex/ff125k.pdf
sadly its discontinued now, but if you select something similar from new fostex line, like FF125WK, you should have no problem to cover 400-4k, you can even go lower, I personaly like to cover widest possible response by midrange, and if you are using fullrange for the mid duties, why not...
The Madisound Speaker Store

Don't worry too much about the power rating - by chopping off the signal at both ends, you effectively up-rate the driver as its receiving less overall power to achieve the same midband SPL.

I'd second everything Chris said about the FE126 and its presentation. IMO, you'd be better off with a dedicated midrange.

Don't worry too much about the power rating - by chopping off the signal at both ends, you effectively up-rate the driver as its receiving less overall power to achieve the same midband SPL.

How do you do that? increase the sensitivity

I'd second everything Chris said about the FE126 and its presentation. IMO, you'd be better off with a dedicated midrange.

so you dont want FE126 to be used as midrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.