Fostex full ranges as Midranges? in sealed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fx120 has rated 10w as pow input but with music pow 30w so 10 is seriously low as it might blow up isnt it? or do we need to consider 30w?
nice pic. Thats exactly how i was thinking of using the FW137, but it maybe unavailable (didnt check and probably should). Ive even considered using my A5s 300-10k or so with the ribbons0i have. I think i should cross higher to avoid their slight resonance at ~600 hz, and a bit of cone edge at 400hz that mine have. The woofer is my problem. OT anyway. The FX120 does look like an even better mid than i thought. (and FR too). Budget is key though i guess.

Look at the breakup problems. My testing found that the compromises made to try and force extended highs in the 125 cause serious midrange issues. The smaller ones, 105's, look far better. So do the smaller Fountek FR88's. Look at the TB's. As much as I want a Mark to fit the bill, I just don't think they are flat enough.

Why is the power low? Because they made the vc light with thin wire so it could produce upper mids and excite the cone into breakup giving the impression of high frequency balance. Don't be fooled by this. 10W at 2K will split your head open. They should be able to do 500 to 5K just fine.

The Fostex FE126En has a voice coil diameter of only 20 mm and thus a low power rating. Nevertheless, due to the high sensitivity it makes more than 100 dB and the 15 watts are not really an issue. More problematic is the low xmax, limiting the maximum spl below 400 Hz. For that reason it is a pure midrange driver and should not be used as fullrange (even when some people do). Unfortunately the range above 1 kHz is quite ragged, no reason to expect the nirvana.

MaxSPLFostexFE126En.jpg

im not looking at loudness im looking at the resolution and super details and open mids. I am not looking at hurting mids.

I agree that we really do not need too much of power for mids.

I used wavecor wf16 driver which was very good for midrange and very weak for bass.

The main noticed parameter vc ind = 0.16 which is rare for 6 1/4 drivers.

there is another vifa Ne driver with .08 mH which might still give decent transients but I have a gut feeling that if a driver can perform well as full range then it will be very good for midrange as we are using a portion of its full ability. I see alot of midrange has some sort of rolloff when it reaches 4k and moreover im looking in time domain...

where waterfall plot matter alot that how fast its decaying...

I dont have any prob using the mid a db or two lower than the bass or tweet so that it can fit well...

my question is..

Iam looking for these for the mids which one would you recommend me

1. Fostex 126
2. vifa ne 5.5 inch midbass
3. wavecor 5.5 inch

since I have a wavecor i can say for mids they are very good so thought to use them only as only midrange than anything else but still there is rolloff at 4khz..

what do you recommend in the above..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.