Fostex full ranges as Midranges? in sealed? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 05:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex full ranges as Midranges? in sealed?

Fostex driver specs are amazing want to look at using the fostex 4 inch full range as midrange by limiting it from 400Hz to 4khz but in a sealed enclosure..

can I do that? using in sealed enclosure?like FE126 driver
Old 24th January 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

i dont see why that would be a problem. Maybe someone else will give a reason why not to do that, but i cant see one. Thats actually how i would use a fostex.
Old 24th January 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can.
Getting the crossover right is the big problem, which is why it is often avoided.
If the crossover is not right, most any advantage of a good driver is thrown away.
Old 24th January 2013, 06:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

the specs are way too good and I think that when it comes to mids I really dont see any scanspeak can do the resolution as what this driver can deliver... what say ?
Old 24th January 2013, 06:14 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

yup - you could quite possibly go even lower with the LF XO - in a small box sealed or otherwise, the FE126E won't dig very deep, but 200-300 should easily be achievable.

As weltersys notes, getting the XO "right" (whatever exactly that means ) is the most fun part of multi-ways - with the proliferation of affordable digital XO/EQ, and downright silly inexpensive digital maps, active would be my first suggestion .

Note that if you're looking for dynamics, colourful and forward presentation throughout the midrange, the FE126 is a great choice - but super-smooth in the 3000-8000 range it's not - and some folks might consider the top above 15K to be dry.

If you do decide to carry this through, I'd suggest you try to avoid HF XO as low as 4K - indeed a smaller Fostex such as the FF85WK* could very likely eliminate the need for a tweeter at all .

* amazing little bugger this one is

Last edited by chrisb; 24th January 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 24th January 2013, 06:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

i want to use them in 3 way.... I would be using vifa XTSC 1" tweeter crossed at 4k or 5k but im just looking phenomenally smooth mid im completely fedup with most of the mids... please show me the Nirvana..
Old 24th January 2013, 06:20 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
i want to use them in 3 way.... I would be using vifa XTSC 1" tweeter crossed at 4k or 5k but im just looking phenomenally smooth mid im completely fedup with most of the mids... please show me the Nirvana..

"phenomenally smooth" and any of the FE /FF series I've heard except for the FE108EZ would be contradictory - now the Alpair 7.3 is a different story - "Nirvana?", who knows but you?
Old 24th January 2013, 06:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

so FE108EZ is bad driver?
Old 24th January 2013, 06:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

one strange question why is the power handling of these drivers is very small? i feel very surprise that is that the real wattage? like for FE126 its 15W? strange I feel...
Old 24th January 2013, 06:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

which one will give the best mids please tell me...

Hide this!Advertise here!