Looking for recomendations on 15" woofers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 07:02 PM   #1
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for recomendations on 15" woofers

I have 3 high efficiency projects planed. For all 3 I was thinking I might be able to use the same 15" Woofer.
I have 2 15" sub-woofers, so this would be mid-woofers.

1: Vision B200 full-range OB with Woofer. XO 150 Hz to 400 Hz.

2: SEOS 12 or SEOS 15 "Econowave" style with Woofer. XO 800 Hz - 1200 HZ In 6 to 8 Cu FT box

3: JMLC 400 1.4" Mid horn with ~ 800 Hz XO In 6 to 8 Cu FT box.

Research indicated that "Pro" style drivers are designed for all 3 apps.

I wanted to keep the Budget around $100 per driver

Research indicates several high end drivers might fit, except for cost:
AE TD15M
Altec 416
Altec 515
JBL 2226H
B&C 15TBX100

Just for reference, I am currently Running a DCX2496 / Class D amps/ OB with Low Q drivers, so I am aware that there are trade-offs on driver Q.

I know the Eminence Beta 15 would work for the OB, but will it sound good at 1K Hz?

Any thought or recommendations on a suitable driver would be appreciated..
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I really suggest dropping to an 8 for a mid woofer. You are just not going to get really clean sound into the lower mids from a 15. There are a ton of very high efficiency 8 inch "pro" mids and you are far more likely to hit your price point. A $100 15 is just plain not going to be very good.

I would discourage OB unless you are doing something exotic like a Linkwitz Orion. They invented boxes for very good reasons. I really doubt the DCX will do as much as you think for an OB. You run out of memory real quick. Mine is relegated to the test bench.
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
I really suggest dropping to an 8 for a mid woofer. You are just not going to get really clean sound into the lower mids from a 15. There are a ton of very high efficiency 8 inch "pro" mids and you are far more likely to hit your price point. A $100 15 is just plain not going to be very good.

I would discourage OB unless you are doing something exotic like a Linkwitz Orion. They invented boxes for very good reasons. I really doubt the DCX will do as much as you think for an OB. You run out of memory real quick. Mine is relegated to the test bench.
I disagree. A 15" can do superb low mids, it has the advantage over smaller drivers of inherent directivity and thus lower diffraction and room artifacts. I've used the 2226h, BD BD15, and Eminence Magnum 15HO all up to about 1k and had great success matching these to horn systems above them. The TD15M is known particularly for having superb mids.
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response.

So no good options for an inexpensive 15" mid-woofer?

I would do a different design rather than use an 8" driver and end up with a 4 way with weird power response.

I have an OB running now.
I currently run a 3 way OB, so going to a 2 way should be straightforward

Last edited by DougL; 23rd January 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I disagree. A 15" can do superb low mids, it has the advantage over smaller drivers of inherent directivity and thus lower diffraction and room artifacts. I've used the 2226h, BD BD15, and Eminence Magnum 15HO all up to about 1k and had great success matching these to horn systems above them. The TD15M is known particularly for having superb mids.
Thanks Badman for the encouragement.
I hope it can be done, but I have no experience with pro woofers.
I have read good things on the forum about the JBL 2226H and the AE TD15M.
I was hoping the Eminence line had something that might be a good compromise.
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:45 PM   #6
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe for one of the projects you'd consider a vintage 12" driver. Usually pretty cheap to get a pair ... even off ebay. Pioneer would be a good starting point.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:28 PM   #7
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't used them yet but the spec sheet on the new dayton pro 15"s sure makes it look like a very nice driver on the cheap.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

There's a pair of 2226H for $300 in the sale section. Buzzford or someone. Can't recall the exact spelling of his nick.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe for one of the projects you'd consider a vintage 12" driver. Usually pretty cheap to get a pair ... even off ebay. Pioneer would be a good starting point
If I was using 3 separate woofers, I would take your suggestion in a heartbeat for the econowave.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I haven't used them yet but the spec sheet on the new Dayton pro 15"s sure makes it look like a very nice driver on the cheap.
I was looking at them.
Hopefully someone has used them.

Hide this!Advertise here!