Looking for recomendations on 15" woofers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wheaton IL.
Blog Entries: 30
Quote:
There's a pair of 2226H for $300 in the sale section. Buzzford or someone. Can't recall the exact spelling of his nick.
Thats a fair price for those.
__________________
Scienta sine ars nihil est - Science without Art is nothing. (Implies the converse as well)
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:15 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default JBL 2226

I think you have an excellent candidate here.
Low distortion, smooth and flat, efficient, excellent output capacity with minimal power compression. It is a mainstay of the JBL pro line for a reason.
Whether the same driver is optimal for all your applications will create (interminable) debate but this one will do it.
Specifications show they are very well matched to 1.5" throat compression drivers. JBL practice and my own system verify this.

Best wishes
David
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
JRKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: U.K.
Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Faital Pro 15FH510 ferrite

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 15FH510

or 15FH500 neo

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 15FH500
__________________
In the interests of full disclosure JRKO = James Rupert Kingsley Osborne. And yes, my parents will pay for it when I choose their retirement home
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
1audiohack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
I don't know anything about your DCX2496, does it have EQ? If so do/will you use it?

My 2bits, since you have subs and don't need the bottom corner, consider the JBL 2220. My absolute favorite 15" mid bass driver, very clean. It has rising response and requires some shaping to be flat but when integrated properly its near impossible to beat.

My opinion is formed from long term listening/ownership of the following JBL 15's:
2220
2225
2226
2227
E130
E140

You should be able to find a clean pair within your budget.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:43 PM   #15
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wheaton IL.
Blog Entries: 30
Quote:
Faital Pro 15FH510 ferrite

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 15FH510
Nice. A bit out of my price range, but a posibility used.
__________________
Scienta sine ars nihil est - Science without Art is nothing. (Implies the converse as well)
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:48 PM   #16
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
There is no one right answer. Badman and I seem to have quite a different view of a great midrange. The advantage of this forum is you get several ideas to think about. I will agree the value of the Dayton is excellent. It has features you don't get at twice the cost like the copper shunt and with the exception of my Titanic III's I have been very happy with all the Dayton's I have used. Mostly RS series.

You did not say if you were building a PA system or a home music system. I stand by my view of 15's as they will have breakup problems way before you get to the mids. Beaming is only an advantage in a PA. Yea, the market is full of 12 or 15 inchers and a horn for a cheap PA, and well, to my ears, they are horrid. Even the not so cheap JBL's. So for a PA, I would use my favorite solution, a line array. Not always cheap though. For a home music system, all of what is discussed here is completely against my preferences.

For a home system in the vain of a big cone PA, go look at the GEDLEE work. Now their stuff is not cheap, but it has valid ideas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:51 PM   #17
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wheaton IL.
Blog Entries: 30
Quote:
I don't know anything about your DCX2496, does it have EQ? If so do/will you use it?

My 2bits, since you have subs and don't need the bottom corner, consider the JBL 2220. My absolute favorite 15" mid bass driver, very clean. It has rising response and requires some shaping to be flat but when integrated properly its near impossible to beat.
Thanks for the response. The DCX 2496 has extensive but not unlimited parametric EQ.
I will look at the JBL 2220. Also I'll see if any are currently up for auction.

I do see JBL 2225 H/J close to my price range. What is your experience with them?
__________________
Scienta sine ars nihil est - Science without Art is nothing. (Implies the converse as well)
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:10 PM   #18
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
The DCX has very poor eq capabilities and you run out of memory real quick. Basically, it can do a three way crossover, one notch and maybe have enough left over for a delay. For the input channels, it can only notch, not boost. They want to sell you a DEQ for that. Remember, it is designed to help tame PA speakers as one step up from a simple analog crossover. That it can do more is quite a complement. I find it noisy, ugly when it turns on, and not at all a hi-fi component. Really handy on my test bench as it allows asymmetrical crossovers where the simple analog ones do not. The A2D, D2A is not the biggest problem in it. At least the DAC portion is not half bad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:19 PM   #19
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wheaton IL.
Blog Entries: 30
Quote:
There is no one right answer. Badman and I seem to have quite a different view of a great midrange. The advantage of this forum is you get several ideas to think about. I will agree the value of the Dayton is excellent. It has features you don't get at twice the cost like the copper shunt and with the exception of my Titanic III's I have been very happy with all the Dayton's I have used. Mostly RS series.

You did not say if you were building a PA system or a home music system. I stand by my view of 15's as they will have breakup problems way before you get to the mids. Beaming is only an advantage in a PA. Yea, the market is full of 12 or 15 inchers and a horn for a cheap PA, and well, to my ears, they are horrid. Even the not so cheap JBL's. So for a PA, I would use my favorite solution, a line array. Not always cheap though. For a home music system, all of what is discussed here is completely against my preferences.

For a home system in the vain of a big cone PA, go look at the GEDLEE work. Now their stuff is not cheap, but it has valid ideas.
This is a home system. The waveguide discussions on DIYAudio have made me want to see for myself what I like.
Since I have an electronic crossover and 6 channels of amplification, I want to try some of these things for myself.
The SEOS project (#2) is a variant on the GEDLEE technology, being a Super Elliptical Oblate Spheroid waveguide.
The third project is a cost reduced Lynn Olson inspired project.
Both of these push a 15" driver until the directivity matches the horn / waveguide.


I agree the Dayton RS drivers have been a great Value.
However, The cone breakup on the metal drivers severely limits their use at extended frequencies.

At this point I am more interested in trying different approaches than anything else.

Thanks for your experience.
__________________
Scienta sine ars nihil est - Science without Art is nothing. (Implies the converse as well)
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:33 PM   #20
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wheaton IL.
Blog Entries: 30
Quote:
e DCX has very poor eq capabilities and you run out of memory real quick. Basically, it can do a three way crossover, one notch and maybe have enough left over for a delay. For the input channels, it can only notch, not boost. They want to sell you a DEQ for that. Remember, it is designed to help tame PA speakers as one step up from a simple analog crossover. That it can do more is quite a complement. I find it noisy, ugly when it turns on, and not at all a hi-fi component. Really handy on my test bench as it allows asymmetrical crossovers where the simple analog ones do not. The A2D, D2A is not the biggest problem in it. At least the DAC portion is not half bad.
I am doing a 3 way with a base shelf, a mid-base low Q notch and some HF boost.
I am probably close to the memory limits. I will look.
I applied some cleaner to the ribbon cable and its been quiet for the last 3 or 4 years.
There are probably lots of crossovers that sound better, but up till now it hasn't bothered me.
__________________
Scienta sine ars nihil est - Science without Art is nothing. (Implies the converse as well)
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Four (4) 15" GRS Woofers john65b Swap Meet 3 25th October 2012 05:02 PM
using a wall of 15" woofers for bass. noviygera Subwoofers 2 25th August 2009 03:53 AM
FS: Vintage high-Qts 15" woofers like Eminence Alpha 15 nl Swap Meet 2 10th June 2009 10:15 PM
F.S.: (2)15" Magnavox Woofers and (2)Tweeters Sal Brisindi Swap Meet 1 1st September 2007 02:26 PM
Anyone used Selenium 15" Woofers? Cal Weldon Multi-Way 0 17th January 2004 12:12 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:42 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2