Yamaha NS-1 vibrating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just noticed that there is some vibration at certain frequencies/volumes on one of my Yamaha NS-1 speakers.

Looking for some advice on where to start looking for a fix, as I am otherwise very happy with them.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

These were not new to me and I'm not sure if someone has worked on them before.

The dial in the last image, I assume is to control treble via the crossover ?

Anything to be aware of before I break out the screwdriver and look inside ?

Thanks

ianp

re:" Damn " - I concur :D
if it is a split you could try gluing some fabric or heavy paper across the split (artists canvas works well),
obviously it would be more aesthetically acceptible to do this on the rear of the cone...
what is the cone material? some plastics are a pita to glue to

I see that you are not UK. Do you have a household glue that is "rubbery" in texture? We have one called Evostik. It is petroleum based and is ised for sticking vinyl tiles to floors and coverings on cabinets and other things. Just dab a bit of glue on the split. It is quite flexible and will last for some time,after it has dried.
There are companies out there that supply the outer polyethylene for this type of loud speaker, so look around the net for a supplier. :)

Last edited:
The Vynil adhesive is almost right but you are fixing polythene and that is not suitable.
In the UK we have a petroleum based solvent contact adhesive called Evostik. It is used for fixing carpets to floors and is very flexible when dry.
EVO STIK - IMPACT 32g Tube Stick Contact Adhesive Glue on eBay!

It is thixotropic, which means is dries and remains sticky to itself only.

Hope that helps.

Genius. I believe I have some puncture repair kits in the garage. Hopefully not the ones with the pre-glued patches.

So just the adhesive or should I also look at using part of an unsoiled French letter or some other form of patch?

Thanks

Ianp

Last edited:
Some images of the interior.

Even after removing the 3 screws holding in the lower speaker it remains well stuck into the enclosure. I decided to just apply the rubber cement to the outside of the speaker at this point. It should be possible to dab some glue on the split from the inside without removing the speaker, but it would be an ugly blob. That'll be the next step I guess.

ianp

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.