Help with speaker planning / selection for family room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I must preface this by stating that the "heard, but not seen" adage definitely applies here. Wife just decided to add a tv to the main entertainment area in our house. It's a large (20x35ft) room with high, vaulted ceilings. Seating position is about 13ft from the tv and the tv is on one of the long walls of the room. Use will primarily be tv and movies (but we already have a theater in the basement). Speakers will be powered by a marantz nr1603.

The main constraints are created by the tv stand (pics to follow). From what i can think of, It essentially requires a low-profile center channel to be housed either above or below the tv. I was tentatively planning this design for the center channel and something similar mounted in the wall on either side of the stand for a 3.0 system.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, help, & critique!

Thanks,

-john

The little Magnepans might look good in there if you need something that's not a box, but they're a little anemic without a sub.

Maybe something like this: Dayton Audio ES80W 8" 2-Way In-Wall Speaker Pair 300-372

Edit: The design using the markaudio drivers is kinda cool, but again, as stated by the designer of the markaudio drivers, "They are not woofers." They're not really designed to play much below 50-60 cycles with any amount of authority and asking them to play loud is probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
update: on-walls are out. a sub is out.

so i'm basically left with in-wall speakers on either side of that tv stand thing and one center channel under the tv. The CC seems rather straightforward given that i have plenty of depth and don't need it to go below ~80 or 100 hz.

I'm stumped and would definitely appreciate a nudge in the right direction on the in-wall speakers. i can't find anything anyone has built/designed that narrow (3.5in - 4in) that is still going to have decent bass response. another constraint: any port needs to be close to the driver so i can cover with one grill.

is this possible?

update: on-walls are out. a sub is out.

so i'm basically left with in-wall speakers on either side of that tv stand thing and one center channel under the tv. The CC seems rather straightforward given that i have plenty of depth and don't need it to go below ~80 or 100 hz.

I'm stumped and would definitely appreciate a nudge in the right direction on the in-wall speakers. i can't find anything anyone has built/designed that narrow (3.5in - 4in) that is still going to have decent bass response. another constraint: any port needs to be close to the driver so i can cover with one grill.

is this possible?

As far as I know, In wall speakers are all of the infinite baffle type, so you won't have to worry about ports. If you're looking for a diy in-wall setup, I'd send you to the page mentioned by sreten, here: Zaph|Audio - ZA5 Speaker Designs with ZA14W08 woofer and Vifa DQ25SC16-04 tweeter

There are some variations of these if you scroll down that are designed for in-wall.

Edit: You'll probably have a tough time with ~4" of width, your life gets a lot better around the 7-8" widths for main speakers.

Edit: You'll probably have a tough time with ~4" of width, your life gets a lot better around the 7-8" widths for main speakers.

In case it isn't clear in the way i phrased things-- i have 16" of width (between the studs), essentially unlimited height (height of the wall), but only 3.5-4" of depth (thickness of the wall).

i have seen quite a few full range examples (although i'm unsure about bass response) that meet the geometric requirements (ie. Mileva)

John, if you go in-wall you must choose a design without baffle step and/or baffle diffraction factored into the xo. That means anything designed to go in a box is out.

The Zaph designs suggested by sreten fit the bill well. You can do L and R in-wall's plus an accompanying CC box designed to match. If you're going without a sub, why limit yourself to 80 - 100Hz? Go as deep as you can. Or add an in-wall sub as well - if they'll be covered with grill cloth, none of the drivers are going to be seen.

Personally however I wouldn't choose to cut up my walls, take off the baseboards to run cable etc unless it was the absolute last resort, especially when this isn't even your main viewing area.

Some things to consider if you haven't done so already:
What are your listening objectives here?
How loud do they need to go?
What's your budget?
Are you limiting yourself to a proven design?
Is this an AV application only or also for music?

Can you not perhaps compromise with the boss and go with a couple of small L and R speakers on the wall unit's shelves? If the TV is small enough and you're not too critical for this application, don't even bother with the CC. Or not....

If the shelves are out of the question for L and R (but not the CC?) take a look at this thread, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/225622-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can.html for something completely out of the box.

See those bird prints you have framed in the corner of the room? How would something similar mounted on each side of your wall unit go down? And without a sub, the added LF of these cornu spirals might be just what you're looking for.

An 8' stud filled with fiberglass has an effective interior volume of like 3.3 cubic feet.

But forget all that in-wall, sounds like your wife will hate it.

Just build some L/Rs that will fit onto the shelves adjacent to the middle of the TV. There is enough volume there for decent bass. Forget the center with such narrow spacing.*

You could maybe fit a decent sub onto the bottom shelf-or two! Ideally, you would make them look EXACTLY like the drawers on either side (or redo those drawers to match!). Again, there is a fair amount of cubic footage on each shelf to make like a rear-facing manifold/slot-load where the woofers face each other to cancel vibration (or one faces the other's back, wired out-of-phase).

It will look really really slick and your wife will be super happy.

Now...to power those subs, too bad receivers generally won't let you wire extra channels lowpassed...but you can get a variety of power amps from eBay or even Guitar Center that will work, probably cheaper than a Class D plate amp from Parts Express.

If you're not happy about the somewhat narrow image compared to in-walls, let me say:
- Eh, a few years, she'll want to change everything anyway, don't do anything permanent to the walls.
- Put some drivers on the side a la Bose or Definitive.
- But hey, you said you had a theater, this is NOT the ultimate experience, you're just looking for better sound.

*Unless you put the L/Rs on the shelves towards the top of the TV, drop the TV down off it's stand, and hang a matching center above the TV, same height as the L/Rs. Then you'd have a monolithic grille appearance across, nice and neat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.