Small and thiele dynaudio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2013, 12:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Small and thiele dynaudio

I am not a speaker builder. Hoping for some help. Can I use this mid woofer in a sealed enclosure? Can I use it with Dynaudio D28/2?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MW160.pdf (121.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 21st January 2013, 01:56 AM   #2
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

You CAN. Sealed boxes are very forgiving. The question is if you will get the results you are looking for. Will the LF response meet your needs? Is the box size what you are looking for? You can use the tweeter, but again, will it do what you want?

Punch the values into WinISD and see what it tells you. Play with it. This seems to be a high end car driver. Its trade offs may not be the best for a home speaker. You have not described what you are tryig to do.
Old 28th January 2013, 12:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am looking for a very tight accurate desktop speaker. Will probably run a sub @80Hz
Old 28th January 2013, 05:19 AM   #4
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Aren't we all.

What you are looking for is what we called a nearfield monitor before we had computers with sound cards.

Mine are Fountec 85's with some dopeing modifications. Full ranges. I will swap in some 88's one of these days and maybe add a tweeter. Look at the little full range on Zaph Audio.

Let's talk constraints:
80 Hz on a desktop needs a pretty large desktop. That is why I have 3 inch full ranges that don't quite do 100. Nice for desktops, listing to woodworking DIY videos, news etc. Just the face size of a cabinet that does an honest 80 is too big for my desk. Working on a pair right now. Zaph 5" three ways. The baffel is 8 x 14 inches. No way can that go on my desk. The 5 x 10 baffle is as large as I could do. Now, just to my left is my office system with "real" speakers. That is for music.

Here is the real problem. If you are not a speaker builder, don't have measurement tools, don't have a garage full of parts , don't have a complete wood shop, you maybe should be looking at established designs or looking for some used LS35a's. How were you intending to design the crossover and compensation networks? In hindsight, I should have kept my baby Warfdal Diamonds. Amazing speakers for $100 a pair But then again I am a speaker builder. So, if you happen to have the drivers already, toss together a box and see how it works. Maybe we can make a speaker builder out of you. Otherwise, I fear you are taking on a lot more than you realize. My little 85's are in their third boxes and took about a month of fine tuning the balance. Yes, even a full range that has no crossover still has to have compensation for baffle step and balance.

Just thought, what do you intend to use to drive them with? You will need a real amplifier. I used to use an old Kenwood I had but switched to a Chinese Class D DAC/Amp that is about the size of a paperback book and taped to the back of my monitor. Not the fidelity of my Creek, but does the desktop job quite well.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

What was I thinking. They definately won't go 80 espescially if they are sealed. I just picked up the MW160s. Was heading toward the "FOCCUS" design. I was contemplating active crossover with 2 STK4044s in each speaker because I got some PCBs with 2 STK4044 on each. The Foccus design uses a 6dB slope on a passive crossover. I am not certain whether I can modify the slope of an active crossover or if 18 or 24 dB is ok. I am tempted to go with the passive 6dB reccommended by dynaudio. It may be nicer anyway.
I sold my Blue sky System One last week and am currently using my Tag Band 4" driven by a small orion car amp powered by an XBOX 360 power supply. I am quite surprised and please with this accidental hifi. I bought the car amp for $10 at a pawn shop. When I brought it home I tested it. I liked it so much that I bought a blown onew to match for $20 in the event that I strap one stero amp on the back of each speaker and use each of the channels to bi-amp. Just a thought. I have much to learn. I have learned this much. My haphazard creation sounds nicer than the 2.1 set that cost me $2000 except for the missing sub. I really like big bass for fun but when listening objectively, I rarely want the sub turned on.

Last edited by argonrepublic; 28th January 2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: correction

Hide this!Advertise here!