DiAural series crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
had anyone implemented the diaural series crossover? i implemented a test circuit for use in a 3-way and measured spl against the original 2.5 way xover in the original setup. (diy speakers). not much difference but a little high in the treble. i like it because it's very simple, but am wondering if anyone has done any more involved measuring and how this topology compares sonically to other series xover schemes.

thanks for any input,
cheers,
scott

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sriegel said:
had anyone implemented the diaural series crossover? i implemented a test circuit for use in a 3-way and measured spl against the original 2.5 way xover in the original setup. (diy speakers). not much difference but a little high in the treble. i like it because it's very simple, but am wondering if anyone has done any more involved measuring and how this topology compares sonically to other series xover schemes.

There has been a number of threads over on the Madisound (look for posts by "Friend")forum related to this -- even Ray Kimber chimed in (and got beat-up). The diaural will be quite driver dependent and IMHO there are better series implementations you can use.

dave

dave,
i checked out the spice sim. that's exactly what i experienced, i (and my wife) noticed a lack of midrange detail compared to my parallel xover. i think i'll try some other designs, maybe acoustic reality or lcaudio. i guess i'm trying to better my parallel setup.
thanks for the help!!
cheers,
scott

dave,
thanks, i stumbled onto that site several days ago, that's when i started the whole series xover adventure. i will try the acoustic reality 3-way. i made a test channel and it sounded really good, very coherent sound, and no equalization required for my drivers, which i like very much!
thanks for all the help,
cheers,
scott

:D
well, i got the parts for a 3-way acoustic reality x-over for my speakers and LOVE it. i had to add a 3 ohm resistor to the tweet to even it out, but the sound is great. i must say that it's not much, if at all, noticeably better-sounding than my old 2.5 way, but i feel that the more balanced impedance is worth the effort to make my home-brew class-A amp happy.
thanks all who responded!

cheers,
scott

I have been reading about these Acoustic Reality Crossovers and I want to give them a shot. I have looked at the pages and all of the links, but I cannot seems to figure out what values I need for my setup. this is actually going into a car stereo. I have Focal TN51 Tweeters (4 ohm) and I have Focal Polykevlar 165K2 Woofers (4 ohm). I would like the final ohm load to be somewhere between 3 and 4 ohms. But I am totally drawing a blank here as to how to figure out the values. I want to cross the tweeters over at about 2700Hz and I have an active crossover that will cross the midbass over at about 60 or so. Can anyone direct me as to what values to order for the power resistor and the two coils. I am not planning on using the cap in this setup so I will order the High power resistors also. thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.