Mundorf supreme silver/oil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sorry Frank but that is not true. Production is scarce.

Why? Just because Bayer AG decides to stop producing the PC film doesn't make'm obsolete overnight, does it?

Same for polystyrenes really, Philips decided to let them go and than Siemens makes'em.

No big deal when you think that PIO was banned for environmental reasons so many years ago and realise there are still a few manufacturers around and have ASC that found a good workaround too.

From a DIY POV this shouldn't worry me one single bit or I wouldn't toy with tubes either....
Hey, I have it from the horse's mouth Svetlana is in financial trouble too...Not surprisingly, if I may say so...

Believe me, polycarbs are going to be around for the next twenty years.

Ero polycarbonate sounded right to my ears and they didn't fail.

My preferred industrial brandname together with the Siemens-Epcos.

Try to get your hands on the former while they last, you won't regret it.

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Frank, if it is true that Bayer is the only producer then production of caps will be difficult after they stop producing the film when stock is nil. Wima already stopped making MKC caps and others did as well.

Polystyrene *film* is not produced anymore as well, Siemens make MKP types as a replacement. Some manufacturers make them as long as they have stock.

I found this at the LCR site:

We wish to dispel rumours that polystyrene capacitors are now obsolete. Although polystyrene material is no longer available we at LCR have aquired sufficient material to manufacture at the present scheduled rate for a minimum of 15-20 years.

And this at BASF:

BASF Restructure Styrenics Business

BASF will cease production of many of their polystyrene resin grades from their Ludwigshafen plant as of July 1, 2004. This will effectively reduce their sales volume from the compounds market by 100,000 metric tons.

Electel:

Die Basisfolie Polystyrol ist nicht mehr beschaffbar, damit ist in nächster Zeit mit einer schrittweisen
Zurückziehung der Kondensatoren mit dem Dielektrikum "Polystyrol" zu rechnen.
Erfragen Sie bitte unsere Liefermöglichkeiten, sprechen Sie mit uns über Alternativen !

Teflon seems to be on the environmental list too.

Mmm, the 20 years to come won't be without polystyrene/polystyrol and polycarbonate caps :D

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Hi Frank, if it is true that Bayer is the only producer then production of caps will be difficult after they stop producing the film. Wima already stopped making MKC caps and others did as well.

As much as Bayer would like you to think they're the only one, they're not.

Polystyrene *film* is not produced anymore, Siemens make MKP types as a replacement.

You can have styrenes made in the US and Italy....Is there a relationship here?:angel:

Mmm, the 20 years to come won't be without polystyrene/polystyrol and polycarbonate caps

Now you're talking...;)

II heard the story many years ago that Bayer was the only manufacture of some of these films. I had an engineer tell me that from TRW how use to make some of the world's best caps back in the mid 80's and sold out to ASC.

Therefore, what Jean say just could be true that some of our favorite caps or on the endangered species list now. The demand for this stuff has to be going down.

In addition, you all need to try some other types manufactures caps. I have tried to use WIMA's and Rosenstein in the pass, however they are just not that great. I have listed my favorite vendor of caps; try some of these next time.

1) TRT's DynamiCap: metallized capacitors Low current signal Cap
Reliable Capacitor: Polystyrene & Polypropylene Foil Makes High Current and small signal.
2) Crescendo’s Polystyrene: Foil and Metallized High Current speakers and small signal
3) Component Research Corporation, CRC Teflon & Polystyrene and Polypropylene Small signal.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Is it any comfort to anyone if I guarantee personally that PC caps are still going to be with us for the next 20 years?

Probably not...

Oh...BTW...One of my favourite manufacturer just happens to be F-Dyne...

Another fav is the Italian ICEL company...

25 years ago the best coupling caps were made in Japan by Taitsu ( or something like that) and tadaa...Shizuki...

Nowadays, the better electrolytes for audio use still come from Japan with Black Gate, Rubicon, Nichicon, Elna and so on.

Most of the European topflyers have been taken over by or merged with American companies...
All the good stuff will go into the garbage can...That much I can guarantee you.

RIP: EPCOS, ROEDERSTEIN, BEYSCHLAG, WELWYN ad infinitum...

Are we going to pay with our own blood for quality in the next decennia?

Guess not, we'll all be playing DOOM by than, won't we.

Chin up, :D

Polyphenylene Sulfide is supposed to be a direct replacement for polycarb. I am planning to get samples from a friend at Electronic Concepts (ECI).
IMHO caps designed for switchers should not be dismissed out of hand. Large pulse currents can really be a problem for a cap in a switcher. There are some caps that are acoustically quiet and some that are not. The quiet ones should be desirable for audio purposes (microphonics). In as much as audiophiles want the best there is and are willing to spend unusual amounts on silver/oil caps and the like, metal foil would not seem to be overkill.
I am still intrigued by the muscle caps from ECI. I just don't have a project for them right now.:rolleyes:

Tony

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

am still intrigued by the muscle caps from ECI. I just don't have a project for them right now.

Let me take you aside for a sec.

If you need tremendous ( from an electrolyte at least) transient response from your PSU think class AB, think OTL using tubes or similar topologies with FETs.

Think Class B operation a la Mc Intosh and I don't know what SS amp.

In short, think about situations where you need current bursts fast and you don't want to spend ten times or more on it coming from film caps.

IOW, think fast electrolytes and don't forget your powerxformer in the process and you'll likely end up with a good amp.

Cheers,;)

P.S. I said this at least a year ago already...This time,I hope someone out there really listens.

Let me take you aside for a sec.....
I said this at least a year ago already...This time,I hope someone out there really listens.

You realize how that sounds, don't you? ("Dad") ;)

As I said, very often in the audio biz people find that "overkill" sounds better. That being said, the caps I mentioned might sound awful. Just something to consider.

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

You realize how that sounds, don't you? ("Dad")

Yep...I know..Taking my chances.
(Patronizing, he? Want to sit on my side of the fence trying to help desperate cases?)

As I said, very often in the audio biz people find that "overkill" sounds better.

People not understanding what goes on, yeah...I do sin too, occasionally, although I usually do think it through.

That being said, the caps I mentioned might sound awful. Just something to consider.

As said before, I know them to sound good for what I suggest you'd use them for...

I'm just not rich enough to replace several tens of thousands of µFs with polyprops, if I were I might...
Maybe, just maybe, provided they came in the right sizes.

RELAX OR DIE?

Cheers, ;)

Fair enough.

I am not rich enough either. All my money goes into braces, fieldtrips to other cities, etc..:xeye: ...and someday, into rebuilding my plasma speakers.

I once built a low impedance delay line (sub Ohm) with GE 40L series caps and recommended them to someone who was rebuilding a passive xover. He used a lot of them and silver wire ($$$!!), but he said they sounded fantastic. I later found out that they are made by Arcotronics.
Some years later, I met my friend at ECI who filled me in on a lot of the cap biz. He had also indicated that Bayer was just about the only game in town for PC film, and that ECI was phasing in the PPS caps to replace them. (in case anyone is interested).

Tony

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Some years later, I met my friend at ECI who filled me in on a lot of the cap biz. He had also indicated that Bayer was just about the only game in town for PC film, and that ECI was phasing in the PPS caps to replace them. (in case anyone is interested).

Tony,

This is not about me, believe me....
As stated before, your information is only partially correct and this may give people the wrong impression.

FWIW, I was defending ECI wasn't I?

Anything else you want to know, just feel free to send me an e-mail.

Cheers,;)

Hi

I have been so impressed with the American Sonicaps that I became a agent for their capacitors in South Africa. I have found that as I improved the capacitors in my passive crossovers the sound became more natural sounding. I suspect that the poorer quality caps tend to distort the sound and phasing characteristics of the drivers at certain frequencies.

I also replaced my bypass caps in my Nelson Pass Aleph amp and the results were simply stunning. It liteally upgraded the entire sound spectrum of the amp. In a certain sense it is scary as one just starts to wonder what results can be obtained if manufacturers start to use high end caps in the entire signal chain.

So if anybody is looking for high end caps they are welcome to contact me.

Jozua

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

i find solen sweeter than supreme but with less detail.

Sorry to say so but I still have to hear a single Solen cap that actually sounds half decent.

What I fear you're hearing with the Mundorf caps is the sound of the system as it is currently set up.
If it really bothers you that much try toeing the speakers a little more inwards.

Cheers,;)

Siemens capacitors.... i tried many polystyrols, polyprop.,mkt of siemens never had any luck... None stayed in my gear and i never buy them again.
Roederstein is the best of the european caps.But not all.Only the 2 % . Siemens never made caps for audio and they laugh their head off when they notice people using them in high end gear.

Take a siemens and place it in a crossover. Listen to the difference when changing to audyn, mundorf , sonicap ,russian, trt,jensen or even a Solen.
Siemens gives you the blues.....twice.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Sorry to say so but I still have to hear a single Solen cap that actually sounds half decent.

this is only your problem,sorry.
probably if you say that solen don't sound good,must do a deeper comparison and firts of all changing the two caps with a "live" switch,in real time.
only how you can say that you have compared two caps.

What I fear you're hearing with the Mundorf caps is the sound of the system as it is currently set up.
If it really bothers you that much try toeing the speakers a little more inwards.

Cheers,;)

no i don't,sorry.
my system is always too sweet....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.