Refurbishment of my Yamaha NS-1000Ms

I have started to work on an extensive refurbishment of my Yamaha NS-1000M speakers and a friend suggested that forum members may be interested. The work is in progress and I am taking lots of pictures of each stage. I've already done a lot of planing but the actual physical work has only just begun.

The pictures and all details can be found here:

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=159

I've already made some speaker stands for the Yamaha's and anti-diffraction rings for the mid and tweeter.

I intend to make the crossovers external and upgrade them, laminate the cabinets in gloss black, replace the L-pads with fixed resistors and fill the cabinet holes, re-make the back connection panels, re-wire them and address a few other minor issues (make new badges, gaskets etc.).

Last edited:
Very, very nice :) Keep the pictures coming, please. From what I have read and understood, the NS-1000 can sound fantastic with the right (read compatible) amplifier, and absolutely terrible with the wrong amplifier. What do you use to drive them, and what has your experience been?

Thanks,
Deon

Hi, thanks for the encouragement :) I've made the replacement back plates for the speakers and the front and rear terminal panels for the external crossovers. I've also made reinforcement rings to go behind the mid drivers inside the cabinet. Will post pictures this evening.

I've heard NS-1000M a couple of time in the past with valve amplification and, although I realise this is a popular pairing, I've not been very impressed - too soft at the frequency extremes for my taste.

I am using modified Naim pre-amplification and Naim Nap135 mono power amps (75 watts each in to 8ohms anf 135 each in to 4ohms). The Yamaha's are not kind to sources as such, or rutheless, they are just truthful.

I'm not sure I have huge patience - in fact, I'm rather notoriously short tempered.

Tasks like this do need to be planned carefully though and there was a lot of CAD to do - but these days I enjoy all that more than the practical element (which I have done many, many, many times). I'm looking forward to the laminating, but only really because I want to get it out of the way.

fasciapanels_zpsf8fc81ac.jpg

Blimey that's some work right there, they look immaculate. What's the plan for the tweeter output?

Many thanks sq225917 :)

I'm quite pleased with the tweeter output idea - which was a late addition.

The idea is that the tweeter on the NS-1000M is known to roll off steeply above 15K, therefore is seems an ideal proposition to augment its out put with a ribbon super-tweeter. The problem with using ribbons in many applications is that they don't handle power well and don't go very low. However, in this case neither of these problems would be an issue.

I intend to make a super-tweeter that can be positioned on top of the cabinet and adjusted for angle, position, time alignment etc. It will be much easier to connect by just connecting it to the Tweeter Aux Out sockets on the back panel.

Hi Mark

I missed the discussion about the super tweeter. Have you decided which one yet? IMHO, if you want the best, and the NS-1000s deserve the best, buy a pair of the small RAAL tweeters. These are the best there is, especially the amorphous core versions. :)

Enjoy,
Deon

I've not got much in the way of new pictures to post yet - but have been busy.

Sanded the back edge of the cabinets level.
Filled the screw heads.
Made and fitted the reinforcing brace for the mid driver mounting.
Made the plugs for the L-pads and glued them in sanded them flat and filled them.
Sanded the cabinets back.
Pretty much finalised the crossover support.