Great speaker tool: REAL-TIME DSP crossover adjustment!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's ... miniDSP! I saw the ads but I didn't realize it has a 'synchronize' function so you can adjust the crossovers in real time while listening!

The 2x4 (miniDSP Kits | miniDSP), for $100 + $10 for the 2 way software plugin, takes 2 analog inputs and puts out ... you guessed it, 4! Perfect for a simple, easy stereo two-way.

I had a BLAST over the break playing with my old open baffles; the most audio fun I've had in years!

Beta15 on the bottom and on top: FE83, RS1197, PR170MO + APT80, Beta12LT + RS pod tweet and then Wayne's 1 Pi, 2 Pi (sort of) and 3 Pi front baffle.

the whole gang.jpg

Fostex FE83 and RS 1197.jpg

yep RS 1197!.jpg

Audax PR170MO w APT80.jpg

Eminence Beta12LT with RS pod tweet.jpg

Wayne's 1 Pi and 3 Pi front baffle.jpg

Eminence Beta15 with wings.jpg

miniDSP screen.jpg

High level of flexibility: correct open baffle, notch resonances, correct driver response, xover point, slopes (BW6-24, LR12-48, Bessel ..), delay, attenuation ...

The 2 way plugin interface starts with digital atten, then 6 filters of pre eq, then crossovers, then 6 more filters of eq, then atten and delay. Whew!!!

Awesome! Doing this analog would take forever (passive), awhile (active), or a bit (Pass/Marchant variable xover) but with DSP it's click click click ... go!

The 2x4 puts out 0.9v and accepts 2v or 0.9v in (jumper!) so I was able to hook up my CD player, DACS, USB DAC and turntable too! I didn't get into it but you could add a rumble filter etc ... and also shape frequency response of your phono! !

I was using it mostly as a lower crossover at 100 to 500 Hz but also tried 1.6k on the 3 Pi.

Oh yeah, it also has a digital (24bit) vol control ($5 pot) so you can use the top part of volume knob without touching the actual 16bit CD resolution! !! !

Next I'm going to try 3 and 4 way by getting the 4-way plugin for an extra $10. With it the 2x4 can be easily reprogrammed to become a 1x4 (1 in and 4 out). !!! !!!! !! This of course means it's not stereo anymore but that's ok for testing for now.

Then I'll get another 2x4 so I'll have a stereo 3/4 way and then go full digital with the $70 miniDigi (2 coax and 2 optical SPDIF ins that connect directly to one or two 2x4s)!!! !!

More to come!

Cheers,
Jeff

PS Just a happy customer, not with the company blah blah blah ...

Last edited:
I've been using one for two years, and I just recently built my first passive crossover speaker. I did all the crossover frequency and slope selection, driver level adjustment and voicing using the miniDSP. It is really fantastic to be able to listen to one potential crossover and nearly instantly (about 1/2 sec) switch to another while listening to music by using the save/load features..

After I am satisfied, I measure the response of each driver with the dsp crossover in place, and then make the passive match on each driver as well as I can.

You can also do a single three or four way by using an RCA Y-splitter and feeding the same signal to input 1 and 2. I have done that, before I got my second 2x4.

Marc

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I've been using one for two years, and I just recently built my first passive crossover speaker. I did all the crossover frequency and slope selection, driver level adjustment and voicing using the miniDSP. It is really fantastic to be able to listen to one potential crossover and nearly instantly (about 1/2 sec) switch to another while listening to music by using the save/load features..

After I am satisfied, I measure the response of each driver with the dsp crossover in place, and then make the passive match on each driver as well as I can.

You can also do a single three or four way by using an RCA Y-splitter and feeding the same signal to input 1 and 2. I have done that, before I got my second 2x4.

Marc

They also sell a 1x4 advanced 4-way XO plugin for $10. Almost as cheap as a Y splitter plus you don't lose signal amplitude.

I agree that even for people who are passive xo diehards - the miniDSP is great for testing and picking the optimal one and for voicing before making a passive implementation.

You should note that the 4way advanced plugin XRK mentioned allows you to switch between two inputs the 2x4 has. I've used this config for the last two years.

Also note you cannot control more than one 2x4 via usb at a time. So tweaking in stereo will not happen. It's a small pain to deal with.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Has anyone tried connecting two 2x4 miniDSP's to the same PC with two separate plugins running? Seems like USB ports know how to sort themselves out. Question is can two plugins run at once?

Kind of lame how a 2x8 costs $300 but qnty 2, 2x4 costs $160. We all have lots of old laptops or netbooks lying around for dual control.

Two computers? .... just use two usb cables. Mark them with a small sign with "left" and "right". Then simply plug in the cable to the "channel" you need to modify. usualy both channels are set up alike. But if otherwise, then just load the other filtersetup first. Keep it simple ;)

But be carefull... heard of some that had problems with the minidsp, when loading filters. If they lose communication during loading, they might crash and render useless.

But I could be wrong.... it's been a while since I worked with minidsp. I now use Groundsound DSP, and they work differently and better IMO.
Besides, I would not advise to change the filter drastically during listening. Ok for tweaking, but the "primary" filter should be setup with the help of good measuring equipment. You can easily kill a tweeter or the like, if you make a small mistake in the filter during playback - just saying :)

Kind of lame how a 2x8 costs $300 but qnty 2, 2x4 costs $160. We all have lots of old laptops or netbooks lying around for dual control.

The 2x8 is a more powerful and feature laden board. It has a matrix router, four configurations, analog and digital I/O, and both balanced and unbalanced I/O. I think it has "better" DAC and ADC chips, too. They may have fixed the turn on/off thump, too. (I recently picked up a new 10x10HD that doesn't have it. My old one did.) IMO it's worth the price difference.

Also, why would one keep old laptops around?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.