Great speaker tool: REAL-TIME DSP crossover adjustment! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Great speaker tool: REAL-TIME DSP crossover adjustment!

It's ... miniDSP! I saw the ads but I didn't realize it has a 'synchronize' function so you can adjust the crossovers in real time while listening!

The 2x4 (miniDSP Kits | miniDSP), for $100 + $10 for the 2 way software plugin, takes 2 analog inputs and puts out ... you guessed it, 4! Perfect for a simple, easy stereo two-way.

I had a BLAST over the break playing with my old open baffles; the most audio fun I've had in years!

Beta15 on the bottom and on top: FE83, RS1197, PR170MO + APT80, Beta12LT + RS pod tweet and then Wayne's 1 Pi, 2 Pi (sort of) and 3 Pi front baffle.

the whole gang.jpg

Fostex FE83 and RS 1197.jpg

yep RS 1197!.jpg

Audax PR170MO w APT80.jpg

Eminence Beta12LT with RS pod tweet.jpg

Wayne's 1 Pi and 3 Pi front baffle.jpg

Eminence Beta15 with wings.jpg

miniDSP screen.jpg

High level of flexibility: correct open baffle, notch resonances, correct driver response, xover point, slopes (BW6-24, LR12-48, Bessel ..), delay, attenuation ...

The 2 way plugin interface starts with digital atten, then 6 filters of pre eq, then crossovers, then 6 more filters of eq, then atten and delay. Whew!!!

Awesome! Doing this analog would take forever (passive), awhile (active), or a bit (Pass/Marchant variable xover) but with DSP it's click click click ... go!

The 2x4 puts out 0.9v and accepts 2v or 0.9v in (jumper!) so I was able to hook up my CD player, DACS, USB DAC and turntable too! I didn't get into it but you could add a rumble filter etc ... and also shape frequency response of your phono! !

I was using it mostly as a lower crossover at 100 to 500 Hz but also tried 1.6k on the 3 Pi.

Oh yeah, it also has a digital (24bit) vol control ($5 pot) so you can use the top part of volume knob without touching the actual 16bit CD resolution! !! !

Next I'm going to try 3 and 4 way by getting the 4-way plugin for an extra $10. With it the 2x4 can be easily reprogrammed to become a 1x4 (1 in and 4 out). !!! !!!! !! This of course means it's not stereo anymore but that's ok for testing for now.

Then I'll get another 2x4 so I'll have a stereo 3/4 way and then go full digital with the $70 miniDigi (2 coax and 2 optical SPDIF ins that connect directly to one or two 2x4s)!!! !!

More to come!

Cheers,
Jeff

PS Just a happy customer, not with the company blah blah blah ...

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 18th January 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: move pics, add extra !!! 'cause I'm so happy!
Old 21st March 2015, 01:00 PM   #2
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Totally agree. MiniDSP changed my life. Seriously.

So easy and so fast to make a good FAST.

Nice assortment of drivers there. What did you think of the RS1197?
Old 21st March 2015, 01:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've been using one for two years, and I just recently built my first passive crossover speaker. I did all the crossover frequency and slope selection, driver level adjustment and voicing using the miniDSP. It is really fantastic to be able to listen to one potential crossover and nearly instantly (about 1/2 sec) switch to another while listening to music by using the save/load features..

After I am satisfied, I measure the response of each driver with the dsp crossover in place, and then make the passive match on each driver as well as I can.

You can also do a single three or four way by using an RCA Y-splitter and feeding the same signal to input 1 and 2. I have done that, before I got my second 2x4.

Marc

Last edited by msibilia; 21st March 2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 21st March 2015, 03:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

i cant think of a product with better price/performance ratio than the 2x4. even some "high end" passive brandnames could be somewhat improved with this one. since they are all restricted by ohms law, box physics etc.

Last edited by multitask; 21st March 2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 21st March 2015, 06:24 PM   #5
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msibilia View Post
I've been using one for two years, and I just recently built my first passive crossover speaker. I did all the crossover frequency and slope selection, driver level adjustment and voicing using the miniDSP. It is really fantastic to be able to listen to one potential crossover and nearly instantly (about 1/2 sec) switch to another while listening to music by using the save/load features..

After I am satisfied, I measure the response of each driver with the dsp crossover in place, and then make the passive match on each driver as well as I can.

You can also do a single three or four way by using an RCA Y-splitter and feeding the same signal to input 1 and 2. I have done that, before I got my second 2x4.

Marc
They also sell a 1x4 advanced 4-way XO plugin for $10. Almost as cheap as a Y splitter plus you don't lose signal amplitude.

I agree that even for people who are passive xo diehards - the miniDSP is great for testing and picking the optimal one and for voicing before making a passive implementation.
Old 21st March 2015, 07:12 PM   #6
SaSi is offline SaSi  Greece
diyAudio Member

To the OP, a quick question:
I understand that settings can be viewed and altered from a computer via USB. Once happy with the settings, is it possible to disconnect and let the minidsp run by itself disconnected from the laptop?
Old 21st March 2015, 07:16 PM   #7
pguerin is offline pguerin  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Short answer : yes
Old 22nd March 2015, 12:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

With the 4x10HD, you can have four different configurations loaded up and switch between them with one click. It has been interesting to compare two configs with identical EQ on each driver, but different xover slopes.

Bill
Old 22nd March 2015, 01:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You should note that the 4way advanced plugin XRK mentioned allows you to switch between two inputs the 2x4 has. I've used this config for the last two years.

Also note you cannot control more than one 2x4 via usb at a time. So tweaking in stereo will not happen. It's a small pain to deal with.
Old 22nd March 2015, 01:17 AM   #10
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

They also have an OpenDRC series that can do the same type parametric EQs as well as FIR filtering or crossovers. For if you want to independently adjust phase responses, too, using Rephase freeware. Also lots of fun (though a mic and measuring setup is needed to take full advantage).

Hide this!Advertise here!