Great speaker tool: REAL-TIME DSP crossover adjustment! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Great speaker tool: REAL-TIME DSP crossover adjustment!

It's ... miniDSP! I saw the ads but I didn't realize it has a 'synchronize' function so you can adjust the crossovers in real time while listening!

The 2x4 (miniDSP Kits | miniDSP), for $100 + $10 for the 2 way software plugin, takes 2 analog inputs and puts out ... you guessed it, 4! Perfect for a simple, easy stereo two-way.

I had a BLAST over the break playing with my old open baffles; the most audio fun I've had in years!

Beta15 on the bottom and on top: FE83, RS1197, PR170MO + APT80, Beta12LT + RS pod tweet and then Wayne's 1 Pi, 2 Pi (sort of) and 3 Pi front baffle.

the whole gang.jpg

Fostex FE83 and RS 1197.jpg

yep RS 1197!.jpg

Audax PR170MO w APT80.jpg

Eminence Beta12LT with RS pod tweet.jpg

Wayne's 1 Pi and 3 Pi front baffle.jpg

Eminence Beta15 with wings.jpg

miniDSP screen.jpg

High level of flexibility: correct open baffle, notch resonances, correct driver response, xover point, slopes (BW6-24, LR12-48, Bessel ..), delay, attenuation ...

The 2 way plugin interface starts with digital atten, then 6 filters of pre eq, then crossovers, then 6 more filters of eq, then atten and delay. Whew!!!

Awesome! Doing this analog would take forever (passive), awhile (active), or a bit (Pass/Marchant variable xover) but with DSP it's click click click ... go!

The 2x4 puts out 0.9v and accepts 2v or 0.9v in (jumper!) so I was able to hook up my CD player, DACS, USB DAC and turntable too! I didn't get into it but you could add a rumble filter etc ... and also shape frequency response of your phono! !

I was using it mostly as a lower crossover at 100 to 500 Hz but also tried 1.6k on the 3 Pi.

Oh yeah, it also has a digital (24bit) vol control ($5 pot) so you can use the top part of volume knob without touching the actual 16bit CD resolution! !! !

Next I'm going to try 3 and 4 way by getting the 4-way plugin for an extra $10. With it the 2x4 can be easily reprogrammed to become a 1x4 (1 in and 4 out). !!! !!!! !! This of course means it's not stereo anymore but that's ok for testing for now.

Then I'll get another 2x4 so I'll have a stereo 3/4 way and then go full digital with the $70 miniDigi (2 coax and 2 optical SPDIF ins that connect directly to one or two 2x4s)!!! !!

More to come!

Cheers,
Jeff

PS Just a happy customer, not with the company blah blah blah ...

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 18th January 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: move pics, add extra !!! 'cause I'm so happy!

Hide this!Advertise here!