Line Array Tweeter line length? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 07:48 PM   #51
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
Your thoughts on OB vs Sealed? With such a high Qt, I think at least aperiodic will be needed to flatten the hump in the lower midbass.
My preference is for Aperiodic for both.

Basically the tweeter should have a tapered line with a resistive "vent" at the end - bisecting or moving through the cabinet with the midbass line, terminating at the rear baffle (outside the enclosure, flush to the rear panel).

The cabinet for the midbass line should be a relatively large volume (relative to the all the driver's Vas) with a substantial "rounding" of the the edges on the vertical sides of the baffle (..i.e. closer to a "cylinder" when viewed from the front baffle). Rear resistive venting.

IF it's just a tweeter line then use the approach in the midbass line.

IF you can't do a large enclosure, then open baffle would be the alternative - but that would likely require a midbass line.

Last edited by ScottG; 23rd January 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 25th January 2013, 04:46 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

....pretty easy to do with a wide say 12" baffle....and minimize diffraction in the process...Hmmm.
Old 4th February 2013, 04:08 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Ok so while awaiting the arrival of the Vifa's, I've been considering the midbass possibilities. Since I'll be using very capable subwoofers, I have been considering an OB approach to the midbass as well. I'm thinking about a very narrow tweeter line enclosure with a taper to point in the rear in front of a line of 6 8" midwoofer on a 12 U shape baffle with an open back. The midwoofers I have in mind are very smooth to 1.5khz bit I'm thinking a cross 1st order around 500hz on the midwoofers with 2nd order on the tweeter line.
Old 12th February 2013, 12:08 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

So in comparing the two inch to the three inch Vifa's, with just four grouped in a simple test box without any shaping components, the 2" drivers sound more cohesive. The weather here is pretty horrible so outside measurements will have to wait a bit. In the meantime, Madisound has the Neo version on sale so I'm going to order up a few as well.
From a practicality standpoint, it's clear that I want to keep this project manageable....I mean less than a floor to ceiling array. I've been a big fan of WMTMW type systems for a while now, and can't help applying this hybrid alignment in conjunction with an array. Since I can't do any reliable measurements, I'm going to try a vertical array of 16 of the 2" Vifa's with an 8" woofer on the top and bottom...call it a WTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTW. I've got a sheet and a half of some nice 3/4 Auraco plywood to mock a cabinet. I'm thinking around 6ft or two meters tall with the drivers all offset 18" from the floor. I'm also thinking of the benefits of the wider baffle of 12" the entire length of the enclosure. Certainly less diffraction for the little Vifa's that will have enough of that from placement so close to each other. Also less BSC required. I'll try a target sim of 350hz second order for the cross. By the time the little Vifa's are down to 200hz, HD should be well under control, especially with 16 in service.

Now taking a page from one of PaulW's attempts with the 3" drivers, I'm considering the advantages of a slight horn loading of the array. If nothing else, it will align the drivers acoustic centers with the 8" woofers on the baffle, a strong benefit to an LR2 topology. Last night I opened a 2.25" channel in the middle of a 12" ply strip intended as a baffle. At the top and bottom of the channel, I continued the cut horizontal to within 1" of the edges. I'm gonna try and jig up a press that will push/pull the flaps inwards, creating a slight 1" depression....sort of a horn. We'll see how it goes.
Old 9th July 2014, 01:43 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

so what about the horn on your 2" line array ...

Hide this!Advertise here!