Input wanted on Speaker build ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just brainstorming at the minute, but would like some input from the experienced. My last speakers where a pair of XTZ speakers and I really liked them. Being a DIY fan I would love to build some of my own speakers, so was looking at the XTZ divine range and thought it would be cool to see if I could sort of copy those.

There speakers I was thinking of copying are these.

So for each speaker, two of these, and one of these I reckon.

I figured a mini dsp for each speaker to create active crossovers, and with a bit of tweaking and measuring, maybe I an come up with a high end design?

What do you guys think. The goal is for a high end bookshelf type speaker that would be great for music and movies, with my own subs being used for the low end.

speaker enclosure clone

I'm just brainstorming at the minute, but would like some input from the experienced. My last speakers where a pair of XTZ speakers and I really liked them. Being a DIY fan I would love to build some of my own speakers, so was looking at the XTZ divine range and thought it would be cool to see if I could sort of copy those.
What do you guys think. The goal is for a high end bookshelf type speaker that would be great for music and movies, with my own subs being used for the low end.

Hi there M: A place to start is Partsexpress, enter part number: 302-753 0r 302-751 for a curved sided enclosure. Next click on speaker components and choose woofers, pick a size to match your requirements/budget, also tweeters/crossovers to compare to others you may looked at. regards, have fun, welcome to Diyaudio, hope you post your system, listning experience and measuremens if you get further into this hobby.....Michael

Is there a reason you want to use the exact drivers that the commercial product uses? These appear to be nice MTM type speakers. I can think of a number of drivers that would serve this purpose very well and probably the whole MTM set would cost as much as a single driver.

Hi,

well I was going to save up to buy those speakers, but I like the DIY side of things and like to learn, so thought it would be cool to try emulate them myself. One thing by copying the driver choices is that the drivers are already determined to work together well. I plugged the mid/woofers numbers into WinISD and they look great in that model. With the MiniDSP I can make trial and error crossover testing as painless as possible, and of course I can design a cabinet however I like.

I am after high performance ultimately, and dont mind spending on quality parts. I also have an EL70 kit I am going to build initially to gain a little experience before I jump in on something like this. For the moment I want to talk about this and learn all I can before spending on expensive drivers. If there are cheaper options that will be as good, I am more than open to discussing them.

I was also thinking about some sort of line array floor stander like this, but obviously I would probably have to change the tweeter for a ribbon, which I am more than happy to do as I really like ribbons.

Last edited:
Hi there M: A place to start is Partsexpress, enter part number: 302-753 0r 302-751 for a curved sided enclosure. Next click on speaker components and choose woofers, pick a size to match your requirements/budget, also tweeters/crossovers to compare to others you may looked at. regards, have fun, welcome to Diyaudio, hope you post your system, listning experience and measuremens if you get further into this hobby.....Michael

Hi Michael,

I really fancy doing the cabinets myself. Ive built quite a few subs over the last couple of years so cabinet building doesnt frighten me. I really fancy doing an system with active crossovers rather than passive. With passive I will have to design it, build it, install it, test it, tweak it, then hope I get the best end result. At least if I utilise the MiniDSP I dont have to build anything and can tweak to my hearts content until I am sure I have got the best from the system. Thats how I see things anyway, but although not totally whet behind the ears, I am new to speaker building, so feel free to correct me at any point.

I have REW, so I have some ability to do measurements etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.