SoundEasy or LspCad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Vg

Joined 2002
I'm currently thinking about buying one of the speaker packages around, and SoundEasy or LspCad standard seems to be the best alternatives that is reasonably priced.

Is SoundEasy really worth the extra $$$? In LspCad you have JustMLS, do SoundEasy have somethink like that, or if not; what measurement programs are compatible? I have access to ETF 5.

I also think that LspCad Pro's ability to draw polarplots is very useful, do SoundEasy have something like it?

I hope that you have answers to my questions :)

Thanks in advance,
Viktor

If you are an EE and know a lot about loudspeaker/crossover construction you will feel at home with Sound Easy. Very powerful but not intuitive.
If you are a beginer to intermediate loudspeaker builder and would like to learn more about crossovers, get immediate feedback on "what if..." scenarios and roll your own crossovers the first week, get lspCAD. Both of them will give you the same results given the same input.
Sound Easy seem to have more input fields though.

I use lspCAD pro and grew to love certain features of the program that are unique to it.
For one, the structure of the program allows you to see how changing one parameter affects multiple aspects of the design. This is a priceless feature for guys who like to experiment. For example, you have the "combined frequency response", "polar pattern", "individual phase response" windows open at the same time and tiled on your desktop.
You skip through crossover components values using your arrow keys (another priceless feature) and see immediatetely what happens to all the graphs. You can't do that in Sound Easy. There you have to generate graphs in succession. Not as intuitive to work with.

A new version of lspCAD is coming. It will keep all the cool features of the current version and add a few others that Sound Easy don't have.
My advice would be get lspCAD now, learn it, and upgrade when ver. 6 is out.

Go for it. I can't speak much about SE. There were like 3 major versions since I played with it.
I remember when I first looked into getting loudspeaker software 3 years ago there was a group buy on Madisound board, and everybody was weighing the pros and cons of those two packages (some things seem to never change ;) ). Of the people that went with the more "advanced" package- which was a big majority- only a few ended up using it on a regular basis. Other than John K.'s (who is a consultant to Bohdan- the author of SE) I have seen only a couple of projects that were posted on the internet that originated in SE. You can tell right away by the look of graphs.
LspCAD on the other hand makes people stick with it and generate projects quickly. I think that a big majority of projects that you can view or download off the web were done in lspCAD.
If you are looking for a truly state of the art software ask Santa for Leap 5. The latest version written for Windows seem to be the most advanced and complete of them all.

Vg

Joined 2002
Now I am even more confused, but at a higher level :) I'd probably be better off with LspCad, because actually I could probably get away with just using FRD tools and speaker workshop but I would like something more comprehensive and easy to use. But I'd really like to have the possibility to calculate vertical response graphs, isn't that a feature that SE has?? Someone must know this :) And LspCad Pro is expensive in comparison with SE...

And isn't Leap VERY expensive?

Vg said:
Now I am even more confused, but at a higher level :) I'd probably be better off with LspCad, because actually I could probably get away with just using FRD tools and speaker workshop but I would like something more comprehensive and easy to use. But I'd really like to have the possibility to calculate vertical response graphs, isn't that a feature that SE has?? Someone must know this :) And LspCad Pro is expensive in comparison with SE...

And isn't Leap VERY expensive?

Yes Leap is like $1500.00 for both enclosure and crossover designer. Each one is $800.00 separatly.

As to vertical polar plots, you are right. I didn't realize that the vertical polar plot graphs are not a part of the standard lspCAD. I only used the pro version and was under the impression that except for emulator and certain utilitarian functions (i.e. E12 or E24 snap) they are identical. It turns out that a few functions that I like a lot are only in the pro version.
Yes, it is expensive. $500.00 is a lot for a tool that doesn't make you money. That's why it's called pro, I guess.

SE does offer a lot for $200.00. You get the emulator (but only for a few supported sound cards- lspCAD pro works with any card that works within Windows).
If the emulator is important to you then the lspCAD pro is again ahead of the rest. You can tweak your crossovers while playing your music through the emulator, or switch between multiple crossover versions that you saved in advance. Nothing like hearing two settings back to back without stopping the music.

Did you try the Filter Maker and Digital Player from FRD Consortium? If those work for you, then you could get most of the functionality of lspCAD pro out of the standard version. I know that one of the reasons you are looking for a software package is the fact that you do the whole thing in one application as opposed to a bunch of spreadsheets.
I guess you will have to get some more opinions.

SE's interface has had a bit of an overhaul, making it easier to use. It has everything LspCAD Pro has to offer and more... at a significantly lower price. Emulation, digital equalization, linear/non-linear speaker measurement are just a few of the really cool features of SoundEasy.

LEAP is simply overpriced, especially considering it doesn't come with a measurement package, which makes its advanced simulation routines pretty useless. Remember though that the next LspCAD is just around the corner. In terms of value for money, SE is clearly the winner at the moment.

Cheers :)

SoundEasy support is among the best I've seen. I have SE ver 7.0 (8.0 is latest). I would not worry about the sound card issue very much. Bohdan offers good support, and will even send you a software patch should there be incompatibility problems. So far, SE works with most popular sound cards. See the SoundEasy page http://www.interdomain.net.au/~bodzio/.

It may also be a good idea to join the SoundEasy Userslist.

LSPCad Pro is the version that has the crossover emulation module, not the standard version. SE has this as well; there is only one level (version) for SE.

Vg

Joined 2002
I skimmed through the manuals for the programs and it seems that SoundEasy has all features I need, + many more. And with the new interface it's probably just what I need :) But since I have not got time at the moment to learn a new program I'll wait and see if LspCad 6 is released soon before I buy anything.

Many thanks for the help!

LEAP 5

The new LEAP v5 is on sale until the end of December, in fact most all LinearX products are on sale at 20% off.

We will be getting the LEAP 5 system as we already purchased the new LMS v4 for windows about 8 months ago. It has the best user interface I've ever used. LMS coupled with LEAP 5 will generate the new LTD model for transducers which is far beyond the basic thiele / small, 53 parameters in all I think.

If you are going to make money with this, LEAP 5 and LMS is the only way to fly:D

Doug

http://linearx.com/

My experience has been that LspCAD is a nearly ideal speaker design package. It is so easy to use and has basically all the features you would need (with great active filter support, and fast/accurate MLS measurements). My only gripe with it is that you cannot integrate the baffle/room simulation and the crossover simulation together. It does a great job simulating the effects of each but you have to view them separately.

By the way it does simulate vertical off axis response and display it as overlay or 3D waterfall. I have the $140 standard version 5.25.

(JPK) Both codes are very good. I have had a lot of input into Sound Easy and when you compare the features and price of Sound Easy to LspCAD Pro the choice is Sound Easy. The current release if V9.0. Updates are usually about teice a year and cost in the range of $20, but you don't have to stay current. In other words, if you have V7 and want to uptade to V9 you pay for one update. SoundEasy V9.0 has a very extensive measurement capability. Not as versital as LMS or Praxis, but they are much more expensive and are just measurement systems. Some people favor LspCAD because it is a rather dumb program in the sense that you don't need to know much to run it. But when you get to more advance x-o design LspCAD comes up against numerous limitations.

Another feature in Sound Easy is that you can design a crossover using either passive, active or mixed components. It also has a feature to use filter block. Crossover designs using these block and, with limitations, be directly loaded into the Behringer DCX digital crossover.

I might suggest that you download the design guide I prepared for Sound Easy V8.0 from the Sound Easy web sight and read through it. It will give you a very good idea of how Sound Easy works. Sound Easy also lets you be creative. The generatity of the circuit cad part alows you to model just about anythign you can think of an electrica equivalent circuit for. It's powers and use go far beyond its intended use.

John k...

Hi!

I guess you haven't noticed that the thread is about 8 months old. :) But thanks for the additional info, actually I have just mailed my retailer and asked when they have SE v.9 in stock, as it has proved itself to be the most interesting option. :yes:

The situation now

“In terms of value for money, SE is clearly the winner at the moment” – that was said almost exactly a year ago.

Now SE is at version 9, and lspCAD Pro (to get the crossover emulator) either 5.25 or 6.

What are views on:
- Value. This seems obvious: LspCAD 6 std is EUR 160, lspCAD Pro is EUR 800; SE is only $A340 (USD 200).
- In particular, what about ease of use, for those new to speaker design to *generate projects quickly*

I assume that both need the same level & cost sound cards & mike?

Thanks

SE v. 10

I too am thinking of purchasing an good value software for the hobby.
1. Does anyone has experience using both the latest version of
SE v.10 and LsdCAD 6.0?
I am leaning toward SE at this point due to the price, but would like to know if anyone has experience using both, particularly the ease of user interface.
The features of SE and LsdCAD are comparable, I am more interesting in knowing more about the user interface.
:scratch:

Re: SE v. 10

gengis said:
The features of SE and LsdCAD are comparable, I am more interesting in knowing more about the user interface.
:scratch:

Hey, this old thread is back? Cool. :D

Right off the top of my head, I can think of about 50 things SE can do that LspCAD can't. On the other hand, it's hard to list even a few things LspCAD can do that SE can't.

For my puposes, LspCAD would be completely useless without at least purchasing an expensive measurement package like Praxis to make up for the missing functionality. Can the new version of LspCAD even measure T/S parameters yet? JustMLS is nothing more than just MLS. (good name for it I guess) But SE's EasyLab is a comprehensive suite of testing and measurement apps.

I think newbies are going to have a hard time with either program. Neither is particularly easy to use. Even more so now that LspCAD recently copied the way SE handles schematic construction.

As far as modeling and optimizing crossovers, that is the easy part of these programs and they all do it equally well, including Speaker Workshop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.