RC Low Pass Filter problem - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 08:02 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default DIY 101 - To Build an Inductor Coil

OK,
1. For a cored inductor you need less coil/turns.
2. For cored/air coil you use the appropriate gauge (look at the tables) for wattage. Ex: here you have
16 AWG (1.30mm) ~400/500w
Erse IXQ - Laminated Steel Core
14 AWG (1.63mm) ~750w
Erse XQ - Perfect Lay Air Core
Then with the gauge/diameter of the wire in mind, use the tables with as many turns as needed. More turns the more the inductance (gauge is for power only).

CNC Coil Winder (1) - From Left Over Parts - YouTube
#5 EPG Coil Winder, How It Works And Wrapping The Fist EPG Test Coil. Home Maid Troid Winder - YouTube
Mark 2 - Inductor Sim

Last edited by Inductor; 25th January 2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Note: Barry's Inductor Simulation need's Java
Old 27th January 2013, 05:34 AM   #32
pranab is offline pranab  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
OK,
1. For a cored inductor you need less coil/turns.
2. For cored/air coil you use the appropriate gauge (look at the tables) for wattage. Ex: here you have
16 AWG (1.30mm) ~400/500w
Erse IXQ - Laminated Steel Core
14 AWG (1.63mm) ~750w
Erse XQ - Perfect Lay Air Core
Then with the gauge/diameter of the wire in mind, use the tables with as many turns as needed. More turns the more the inductance (gauge is for power only).

CNC Coil Winder (1) - From Left Over Parts - YouTube
#5 EPG Coil Winder, How It Works And Wrapping The Fist EPG Test Coil. Home Maid Troid Winder - YouTube
Mark 2 - Inductor Sim
Thanks a lot bro ........ Now things are lot clear for me
Old 14th March 2013, 05:25 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default driver suggestion needed

Guys I need some suggestion regarding a driver viz. almost similar to Eminence Alpha-8A 8" PA Driver 290-401
My frnd got a similar driver but for some reason he wants to get rid of it and he thinks he has wasted his money on this driver , its brand new and he would let go in very cheap price , (actually he bought it bcuz he was flown with the look of the driver). My wicked mind and knowledge (very little) says that its a great driver, i have even tested it with a left over enclosure ,it gives crystal clear sound, very responsive ......the only down side i found is the low end frequency isnt that gud , the Fs is at 73Htz and its a speaker with cloth surrounding with paper cone and 1.5" voice coil dia........
Guys plzzzz suggest me as to should I keep this driver (I can have it at almost half price frm my frnd). Its great driver but the only thing is that it lacks the low end frequencies . SOOO is there any way to design an enclosure so that it can sound gud at around 45Htz ????
I am attaching the pics of the driver and Bass Box Pro box design file for this driver .....Kindly give me some suggestion guys ..... Is there some way we can make this driver + enclosure sound lower .....???? (Sorry bout the bad quality camera of my phone) In real the driver luks gud .
P.S. - It also has the vent under the pole piece for heat dissipation of the voice coil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11032013688.jpg (551.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 11032013690.jpg (523.7 KB, 67 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Eminance alpha 8A.zip (539 Bytes, 2 views)
Old 14th March 2013, 06:35 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

If the driver can sound close to Eminence Alpha-8A 8" it's not like having a woofer, there's nothing under 45Hz.
Quote:
ALPHA-8A American Standard Series
Recommended for professional audio mid-range applications in a sealed cabinet, or as a mid-bass in a vented
satellite enclosure.
It may work nice as a mid driver (where are the TS parameters? can't read that file), or mid bass but my impression is who's doing a 45/50 L enclosure for a driver with f3=45Hz and no bottom end (like the Eminence Alpha-8A)???

Last edited by Inductor; 14th March 2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: mid-range applications, or mid-bass
Old 14th March 2013, 08:14 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If the driver can sound close to Eminence Alpha-8A 8" it's not like having a woofer, there's nothing under 45Hz.

It may work nice as a mid driver (where are the TS parameters? can't read that file), or mid bass but my impression is who's doing a 45/50 L enclosure for a driver with f3=45Hz and no bottom end (like the Eminence Alpha-8A)???

The file is Bass Box Pro 6.0.18 ....and the file is zipped right now, you can extract it or unzip it and run it in Bass Box Pro..
Am attaching spec of the Eminence Alpha-8A driver .
I know theres not much below 45Hz but i need an enclosure that accentuates the lower end as well because this driver lacks the lower end bass ......Due to space problem I want an enclosure design with Side firing driver and front port .....
Should I keep this driver bro ???
Is this a good deal ??
I know it dosnt sound like a woofer which has softer bass .... This driver gives punchy and hard hitting bass ...and yes even at high volumes it does not distort and it takes the beating very well ...I mean it produces the bass quite well and does not crack ...
What do i do bro ??
what enclosure should i use to accentuate the missing lower end bass ...(sealed or vented) ??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alpha_8A.pdf (623.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 14th March 2013, 09:12 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I would keep it for a later project.
Old 14th March 2013, 09:25 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Can't you resource the driver that I linked on post #20?
It's a nice driver?!
Iwai speakers - SUBWOOFER 8 8Ω 75W
Contact
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:04 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can't you resource the driver that I linked on post #20?
It's a nice driver?!
Iwai speakers - SUBWOOFER 8 8Ω 75W
Contact

Thanks a lot bro for ur opinion I am keeping the speaker with me, I have to pay only half the price .
I checked the iwai subwoofer and its great , I have also contacted them for the price and authorized dealer at my place (waiting for the response). Its actually kinda hard to find these products at my place , people are not aware of it .... But I am trying to found a gud subwoofer here ....
Old 27th March 2013, 08:05 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would keep it for a later project.
Hi Bro ..I need ur opinion regarding the enclosure design for the above mentioned 8"PA driver.(attaching the enclosure design screen shot)
Is this enclosure design ok ??
The enclosure designed in a software is calculated in a particular ratio. So if i change the design a bit [lets say if i increase the height of the enclosure without changing other dimensions(it will increase the volume of the enclosure but it will also alter the ratio)] how much will it affect the sound quality OR what effect will it have on the overall audio performance.??
Wishing everyone Happy Holi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA Driver8.JPG (227.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 1st April 2013, 07:21 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

To Inductor,
The dimension of the enclosure is attached.
Kindly go through the Bass box pro screen shot in the earlier post. Is the enclosure design ok according to you ?????

The second design attached with this post is what I want to make but am not sure if it is going to sound good because the ratio of the dimensions have been altered my me.

Which enclosure design should I try to build.... the one which is designed in bass box pro OR the other one ???

plzzzz explain everything in detail bro ... I kinda noob here

Regards
Pranab
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (48.1 KB, 26 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!