Active Crossover roll-off - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 04:20 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

You can't measure the acoustic offset with a ruler because you don't know the location of the acoustic centers (which usually varies a little with frequency, besides being hard to guess in general).
Old 18th January 2013, 07:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm not an engineer....never built a speaker, never recapped a crossover.... so take my comments with any amount of salt you feel appropriate.

That said, I did once go to the Klipsch factory and with their lead engineer and a handful of other people (some engineers, mechancial and EE as well as other professions) spent some time doing experiments for the sake of us learning.

One was testing steeper slopes to more shallow.

Long story short, in virtually all of the testing we did (not a classic ABX I might add, just an A/B) everyone felt the steeper slopes sounded better/cleaner than the lower order slopes.

There was less overlap of the drivers range so some issues of overlap were minimized.

My take-away from that when I get into current conversations with people about steeper slopes is I THINK it depends a bit on how you listen.

(again, this is just my seat of the pants opinion, no formal education here on the subject matter)

Anyways... my take is, if you tend to listen at lower levels then indeed, a lower order slope might be perfect for you. If instead, you tend to listen at higher/louder levels, then a steeper slope might be better for you.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:51 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest seeing what Linkwitz says...

I learned a lot about crossovers reading the discussions on linkwitzlabs.com. Sigfried is very knowledgeable about active systems (yes, he is that Linkwitz).

Yes, I've built some of his designs.... Worth a read.
Old 12th February 2013, 04:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
I learned a lot about crossovers reading the discussions on linkwitzlabs.com. Sigfried is very knowledgeable about active systems (yes, he is that Linkwitz).
Wouldn't you know it...? I think that site is gone.
Old 12th February 2013, 05:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

There's no 's': Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design
Old 12th February 2013, 10:29 PM   #16
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Even though the woofer is coated paper, you may have issues with the breakup with only a second order at 2.5. Maybe. I sure would give it a try. Maybe add a notch so you can keep the lower slope.

You mention the crossover portion. Are you dealing with baffle step and edge diffraction in your crossover? Any all-pass to deal with phase and position? Hint, go visit Linkwitz and see what he says about active crossovers. Also Self's new book is pretty extensive.

Hide this!Advertise here!