High-efficiency, wide-range midrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmm... Well, my interest is in getting the crossovers as far away from the voice range as possible.

Of the type that might be good for 300Hz to 4kHz with 95dB sensitivity at 8 ohms, what reasonably priced models can be recommended? Would they all be horns? Any cones?

What if the efficiency drops to only 92dB/1W/1m? I'm not so much concerned with massive efficiency as much as a smooth response, and a smooth impedance curve. But, I don't want to get into the 86dB/1W/1m range of domes, etc.

--

There is the PHL 1120, also drivers from 18sound, B&C, B&W, etc.

If you only need 92dB/W, then there's the Markaudio Alpair 12P. It is a fullrange driver and tweeter is completely optional. You can have the woofers come in at 100Hz or so.

The voice range starts at more like 150Hz, but there is content even lower than that. But regardless, I like your idea.

You may also look at the Audax Pr170mo. It is listed at 100db/w but if you realy look
at that frequency responce curve down at 300hz it's realy about 95 db/w with a slight
rise in frequency responce. But watch out for the x max if used as low as 300 hz.

Philips 9710 does from 40hz up to 19khz with abut 95db of efficiency. cross it anywhere within the range and here you go ;)

There is peaking at ~3kHz and some plateau passed that where output is around 100dB/1W. A more "real-world" rating would be ~93dB IMO, unless used in a Karlson to give some lift in the mid-bass, then you actually have ~97dB down to ~70Hz. ;)

Might be easier to land a new production driver though. Have a look at the Fostex FF165WK or FF225WK, they are whizzer-less and have a good midragne IMO (225). The 225 runs out of steam passed 8kHz though. Sensitivity is a bit lower than what you spec'ed in the OP, but it might still work depending on what your bass driver is and clever enclosure design, namely baffle-step.

IG

McCauley 6326

Is there such a thing as a driver with about 95dB/1W/1m sensitivity, that can be run from about 300Hz to 8kHz or higher?

Maybe a high efficiency "full-range" that doesn't make bass, that could be used with a supertweeter?

--

Recommend that you limit bandwidth to only slightly more than a decade. Here is a candidate that will outshine most in this mission. If your application is not PA then this recommendation will, of course, be overkill.

Regards,

WHG

Speaker City sells speakers, drivers, audiophile loud: 10 in. woofer 300 watts RMS

Btw, I was giving the speech range to make my point about 300Hz. You need to get up to 1100-1600Hz to cover all the fundamentals for singing, and then there's arguments to be made for the harmonics. The point is, when we're talking about low crossovers, middle C is 260Hz, so for singing or speech or even most music in general, 300Hz is right in the middle of things. Whether this matters is a different discussion, but if the goal is to get crossovers out of the way, typical large 3-way points do the opposite.

Recommend that you limit bandwidth to only slightly more than a decade. Here is a candidate that will outshine most in this mission. If your application is not PA then this recommendation will, of course, be overkill.

Regards,

WHG
I agree, 300-3000 or a bit more is a good goal.
That said, I'm using a pair of Eminence Alpha 6 in PA use from 100 Hz to 3500 Hz, (an APT tweeter above) and have been very pleased with their vocal reproduction even at 125 dB levels at one meter.
The Alpha 6 is 95 dB one watt one meter. Costs a very small fraction of the McCaully 10".

Here is the response of one in a small sealed box, some of the ripple around 2K may be diffraction as the box has a deep recess to fit the grill:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 2.01.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 2.01.45 PM.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 303
if the op has the room a horn and compression driver would easily cover the desired range and with directivity and much lower distortion. You can have almost everything on one horn. If her were to go with a Lowther and a large horn he can obtain extension to below 200 Hz to 20 KHz with one driver and with far greater efficiency than with a standard dynamic driver. Just some possible options. Best regards Moray James.

400 Hz is the fundamental. the harmonics can go above 5 KHz.

edit: didn't word it very well. I wanted to complement dumptruck's information.

The fundamental of a soprano high C is a little over 1kHz, with the top coloratura pieces reaching around 1.5kHz, obviously you then get harmonics at multiples of this. Harmonics up to 10kHz wouldn't be a surprise, but usually the 2nd and 3rd are far more pronounced when singing that high up. So that lands you above 4kHz.

Going down, a tenor low C is around 125Hz, with bass voice extending nearly one octave more.

To cover all of the voice with one driver you really need 80-10kHz, this is an absurd goal and mostly prohibitive. The reason why you want to get the xover out of the 1-3kHz region is because the ear is the most sensitive here and if you're xover is poorly implemented then it will stick out less than if it was poorly implemented and at 5kHz.

If you want to place the xover high then you need a driver of small diameter, otherwise you're going to be sacrificing the off axis behaviour for the high xover point. If you want high sensitivity too then your midrange driver isn't going to be able to go that low.

Personally if crossing at around 4-5kHz, I would rather use a small mid and cross it closer to 5-800Hz and maintain the off axis. The audax HM100Z0 is about the only hifi driver I know of that will work from 400Hz-4kHz with decent sensitivity and it happens to sound very nice. Obviously if you go pro that's another kettle of fish as those drivers tend to be larger, and if crossed high you will be sacrificing the off axis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.