Anyone Make An Improved 901 type speaker cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. First post here. Anyone make a 901 type cabinet and experiment with different type of drivers, etc, to come up with a home-brew 'improved' sound? I guess what I'm thinking of is different type and arangement of speakers in a similar cabinet, maybe 6 1/2" (or larger) woofers, tweeters, crossover, etc instead of the standard full-range speaker set-up. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jeep..

Last edited:
Hi,
Ed Long actually designed the original 901's. He begged Dr. Bose to use a tweeter, but Bose insisted on 9 identical drivers and an EQ box to bump the highs and lows up to something like flat. I put a 1" Vifa silk dome tweeter in my 901's, and it was way better than the EQ box.
What do you like about the 901? The stands? Or showing them off to your cocaine snorting buddies that never grew up from the '70's? They really sound terrible, but they're such a period piece (before my time) I can't chuck them. They mate up so well with my old Pioneer receiver and still sound terrible.

What do you like about the venerable Bose 901?

Cheers.

They sound great on Led Zepplin, pumped - assuming you have a clear plaster and lathe wall...

But, the answer to the OP's question is yes.

I did that in ~1973.
At that time I used an array of Goodman's Maximus drivers (look 'em up), in a cabinet that was a single row of drivers on each rear face. Five or 6 high, so 10 or 12 drivers facing rear, two in the front.

If I can recall, I think that in one of these incarnations I used a mylar dome tweeter rear firing...

That was 1973

Attachments

• 901® DirectReflecting® speaker system.jpg
    901® DirectReflecting® speaker system.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 560

Good question. Answer is looks, pedigree and history. I was thinking about buying a cheap set off Craigslist. I sometimes see them selling really cheap (that need replacement drivers or refoaming) to display in my vintage audio corner I am putting together. Personally, I've got plenty of nice speakers I am satisfied with. I'm not overly concerned about the quality of thier audio. Maybe it's better if they don't sound so great, so others can hear for themselves. I plan to put a plaque outlining the history of various pieces of equipment as a talking point.

But then I started thinking that I might consider making a pair of 901 look-alikes with a completely different driver arrangement that would actually sound great. For example, I could stick two 8" woofers, a midrange, tweeter, ported cabinet, x-over in a 901-looking cabinet and have a pair of "improved" 901's that sound as better than most large bookshelf speakers.

So, I was wondering what 901 improvements others have come up with?

Thanks,

...jeep

If you build a 3-way system you will have nothing even vaguely like a 901.

Also, there is not enough volume in the 901 enclosure to support that sort arrangement.

The basic idea for the 901 or any "line array" type speaker is that the sound is only as good as the sound of one single driver, but you get much more power handling and the opportunity to use some of that extra power handling for EQ.

Something like a Phase Linear 400 is about the right power and DF for a 901.

I did that in ~1973.
At that time I used an array of Goodman's Maximus drivers (look 'em up), in a cabinet that was a single row of drivers on each rear face. Five or 6 high, so 10 or 12 drivers facing rear, two in the front.

any pictures of those?

and,

what did you do with them?

Gale GS401?

same thought here .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've been a 901 fan for years now. I tried refoaming about three pair and in my opiniion, not a lot of trouble but not worth the results. I settled on owning just the originals (series I and II) before they changed to the ported 901's -- a quite different speaker, and worse in many people's eyes (ears?). The original 901 are remarkably durable. Of 4 pairs I've owned, three were 100% original. the 4th had replacement drivers but still sounded ok. I am considering options to restore the elusive top octave on a pair. By the way, most of the time I've used custom (31-band GEQ + PEQ) instead of the factory EQ. They really can sound good if you take the time to "dial it in" and also have several hundreds watts per channel for those rumbly bass notes :)

At least in USA on eBay, you can find 901 "series I" or II for around $200-300 the pair. They really are a good deal, considering what you get, a near antique speaker likely in perfect (driver) condition. Consider, that adjusted for inflation, they would sell for something like $3000 today! New ones are about $1500 last I looked. If you don't like them you can always sell them to another gullible person :)

I am still exploring the options to add tweeters to a pair. One idea I had is could one find a large tweeter for just the front that might be a screw-in replacement? I guess it would need a crossover...hadn't thought that through enough yet. There are some "full range" speakers that might work but I think for the money spent you want high power output in 5-20KHz range. Front only might be ok since the super highs are more absorbed by distance and reflection.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
The best use I have heard for 901s was as PA speakers for a solo performer where the angled drivers faced the audience and he used the single driver as his monitor, otherwise i would have said a 9kilo sledgehammer was the best way to "Improve" any Bose speaker

I've read some other posts about those who added tweeters to a 901 pair. One of them used a separate set of tweeters and powered it with a separate amp (bi-amp) and its own crossover/EQ. My idea is to try just one tweeter in the front. Here are a few:
The Madisound Speaker Store
Selenium ST200 Super Tweeter 264-348

A really cheap but perhaps adequate tweeter:
Goldwood GT-25 4" Cone Tweeter 270-018

How would I wire in a single tweeter? The "original" 901 has 8 ohm drivers three in series/parallel.

Also note, that in my rig at least, I have extensive outboard EQ (DEQ2496) so I can torture the response curve as needed :smash:

Last edited:
any pictures of those?

and,

what did you do with them?

I do have some *photographs* (remember them) of the speakers, somewhere. Getting to them and scanning and getting them online is another matter.

A number of pairs were built, I listened to my pair for quite a few years and then I sold them to an acquaintance. He used them for a while as music background for runway type fashion shows.

In ~1976 I decided that the direct radiating line source was superior, and switched to that style of speaker construction.

Attachments

• CVSR3.jpg
    CVSR3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 299
These were the drivers that I used in the vertical "bose" speakers.

They are Maximus drivers, designed by Ted Jordan.
Back then McGee Radio from the midwest had tons of closeout speakers for sale in their
catalog. Great stuff to see and read! They had the Maximus drivers for sale. Note the huge
Alnico slug! :D

My speakers were known as BFL speakers.

Attachments

• mag.jpg
    mag.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
I liked (sound vs. function) the fact that a hi-fi loudspeaker was a PA pro I found playing in small discos in the 70's. No distortion at high SPL's from what I remember.

Somewhat related (improvement or not) but for PA... BOSE 302 (Bass Cabinet), 802
(link to BOSE 802 II White Edition)

Attachments

• bose-802-14973 DRIVER.jpg
    bose-802-14973 DRIVER.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 292
  • BOSE 802 640.jpg
    BOSE 802 640.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 220
  • BOSE 302 breit 640.jpg
    BOSE 302 breit 640.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 90
  • BOSE 802 II White Edition.jpg
    BOSE 802 II White Edition.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Inductor: I did look at the photo in post #4. I am guessing the man relaxing in his high rise loft is living in the advertising world. He has a pair of Bose 901 that don't require any cabling, nor is any type of electronic gear required to drive them. He has almost no furniture in a spotless room. This does not look like any real world living room I have ever seen. Who is the gullible one? :)

OK I can resist the temptation no longer. :crazy:

I just ordered a pair of the "Selenium ST200" tweeters from Parts Express ($50.03). In theory I have just increased the value of a pair of my 901's by about 20%. Ah, now to wait for the arrival of the package.

:darkside:

Then to figure out how to hook an 8 ohm tweeter into the weird wiring of the 901. "Quickly, Igor! The capacitor catalog!"

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.