JBL Studio Series AW36's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Jennerz is offline Jennerz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default JBL Studio Series AW36's

Call me a clutz.........I dropped one of my JBL's from about five feet. Visually, the speaker looks fine, however the board inside is cracked, and the tweeter & the mid-range does not work - and the woofer sounds wrong. A series of questions:

1. How do I break the seal between the woofer and the speaker box to in-turn get at that board?

2. Assuming I can get to that board - can I repair it? (It looks like the board cracked right where a capacitor is soldered into that board.)

3. What else should I look for?

4. Any thoughts on how I should solve this?

If you can't tell by my questions - I am near rookie-status at anything like this. So any and all insights would be appreciated!

Thanks for any help! Jennerz
Old 14th January 2013, 11:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can you post a few pictures of the speaker?
Old 15th January 2013, 03:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

re:"the board inside is cracked", you've probably broken a wire trace on the PCB, so once you can get to it, it's just a matter of soldering a wire across the break, then epoxy glue the board back together.
re:"the woofer sounds wrong" - what kind of wrong?
Old 15th January 2013, 01:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Jeepwalker......I have some (I think) very helpful images - but I haven't been able to figure out how to get them attached to a reply, as they are on my computer, not attached to a URL. I will continue to try and figure that out. Thanks.
Old 15th January 2013, 01:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Pete McK - The way I would describe the "wrong"....it sounds echo-y and shallow....."wrong" enough that you wouldn't want to listen to it. Thanks.
Old 15th January 2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Jennerz,

When you hit Post Reply, go down to Manage Attachments.
Old 15th January 2013, 02:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default JBL SW36AWII's - images of problem

Thanks for insights Cal!

Here are the images that show the issue(s) I am trying to solve.

Six images attached:
1st - the speaker/enclosure I am trying to get into
2nd - the easiest access to get to the board that is cracked
3rd - the woofer that is sealed to the enclosure, that I (think I) need to remove, to get to the other half of the board to remove it, to work on it.
4th - edited, arrowed image to show where crack is on the board
5th - a close-up, to show the extent of the crack
6th - an image that shows the most likely impacted components by the cracked board.

I can easily get access half of the board, however, it appears I have to un-seal the woofer from the enclosure in order to get to the other side of that board - so that I can remove it to work on it.

So here's what I am hoping for help with:

1. How do I best break the seal between the woofer and the enclosure to to in-turn get at the other side of that board that is cracked?

2. Assuming I can get to that board - any thoughts on how to best repair it? Are the caps, etc.. likely okay, and still useable?

3. What else should I look for/consider?

If you haven't figured-it-out by my terminology - I know just-enough-to-be-dangerous.......so any and all insights would be really appreciated!

Thanks! Jennerz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBL S36AWII - a) Speaker.JPG (438.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg JBL S36AWII - b) Board Access.JPG (320.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg JBL S36AWII - c) Sealed Woofer.JPG (431.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg JBL S36AWII - g) Board Cracks.jpg (452.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg JBL S36AWII - e) Extent of Crack.JPG (451.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg JBL S36AWII - f) Board's Components.JPG (437.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 15th January 2013, 08:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

you'll be doing the repairs on the underside of the board, so a pic of that would be useful

edit: I see you haven't got it out of the box yet, if you need to disconnect any wires from the drivers make a careful note of where they're connected...
if you undo the screws holding the xover board down, it may come out of the tweeter hole?

Last edited by PeteMcK; 15th January 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your input. My first-step issue/question is: it appears that in order to get to all the screws that hold the board down, I need to get the woofer out. I can get to four screws through the tweeter hole, but the board will still not budge - so I can only assume there are more, at a place I can not see or get to - that's why I think I need to get the woofer out....but it is both screwed in, and sealed in - I can get the torx screws out, but have no idea how to approach the seal. It is very solidly attached to the enclosure by that sealant. Any ideas? I obviously don't want to do anything do damage either the speaker, or the enclosure - so I am going slowly.

I will certainly take your suggestion about numbering and noting everything! Thanks.

Once I can get the board out, I will post better pics of the top, as well as images of the underside of the board.

Thanks again for your help! It's simply no fun not having any music! This pair is all I have - I move them inside or outside, depending on where I am at. I can't wait to get them fixed! Thanks again!
Old 17th January 2013, 06:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Remove Woofer from All-Weather Enclosure?

I need to remove the woofer from one of my JBL S36AWII's - so that I can get to and remove a cracked crossover board, deep inside the enclosure - to then be able to try and repair it.

What is the most effective way of breaking that weather-resistant seal - that has the woofer attached to the box - without damaging either the woofer or the enclosure?

Thanks for helping with such an easy question.....but, everyone was a rookie at some point in time.....Jennerz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBL S36AWII - c) Sealed Woofer.JPG (431.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg JBL S36AWII - b) Board Access.JPG (320.8 KB, 20 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!