Active or passive 8" + waveguide? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2013, 08:33 AM   #1
LJNorth is offline LJNorth  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Active or passive 8" + waveguide?

Some phots of my work to date, already posted about the waveguides, on this speaker they are the 240mm dia burr elm loaded with a seas excell 1" dome. The bass is a seas ca22rny, the box is a reused castle Windsor (now closed box, giving Qts around 0.5-0.55) with the front panel routed out and a new 18mm birch ply baffle mounted, internal bracing is 1 inch square oak (all that I had) the side panels are particle board and the rear panel is MDF. The internal damping is 1mm ali backed bitumen glued and stapled then 10 mm compressed jute with a bitumen / rubber backing, then compressed wool loft insulation then uncompressed insulation then long fibre wool, the idea was a gradual increase in acoustic impedance, I donít believe in over-damping of closed boxes, all I want to do is dissipate the rear wave.
The question is, I have a donor Teac 700 amp with 4 channels of tripath class D amp inside, should I go mini dsp? are there alternatives, and can I implement my own tapped filters, not just use series biquads?

Laurence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spek1.JPG (332.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg spek2.JPG (311.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg spek3.JPG (336.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 12th January 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very nice design and quite similar to mine (I even used the same stuffing material). I bet they'll sound great when you get the crossover sorted.

Have you got a link to the waveguides?
Old 12th January 2013, 09:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The CA22RNY has a dip of about 3 dB at 700 Hz. With a MiniDSP you could fix that and it allows for some extra bass extension.

I would chose a 4th order crossover (2nd order just isn't steep enough) which, implemented passively, is probably just as expensive as the MiniDSP if you already have the amps.

I'd choose to go active
Old 12th January 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
LJNorth is offline LJNorth  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

the posts on my waveguides are here, ok it looks like the miniDSP, straight from HK or is there a reasonable price from european/uk source?, as for x-over frequency, ill go as low as possible, directivity of the CA22RNY starts narrowing around 1.25-1.5k so I will aim for that.
Old 12th January 2013, 02:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you use a PC as a source? If you do, then to me active software xo/eq is a no brainer. You can do everything a miniDSP can do plus a lot more. There are some multi-channel soundcards geared towards gamers that are supposed to sound good, and are in the price range of a single 2x4 miniDSP.

Hide this!Advertise here!