Crossover for MTM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Im building a center channel MTM with two 3" TB W3-594S and a Morel DMS-30S handling the high. From my studying around, I was thinking that I'd try building the cabinet with an angled front baffle, mounting the TB's in the angled baffle (20-30 deg. to the rear), on either side of the tweeter. I was reading about this design in the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, and this center will have to be horizontally polarized.

My question is more regarding the x-over. Initially, I followed the x-over design guide on the forum, and obtained the required parts, as I originally intended on using these drivers as standard 2-way's. If I am now doing them as a MTM center, do I use an individual x-over for each 3" TB and parallel the inputs to the xovers, or parallel the drivers and use a single x-over? Also, with that, should I build the cabinet as one, or a cabinet that consists of individual cabinets for each driver? (would appear as a single cabinet though)

I was initially thinking on doing the individual cabinet per TB driver, along with an individual x-over for each TB driver (since i already have the components) But now I am second guessing!!:confused:

Advice?

Well, I've been doing some considerable reading on the various designs that people have used here, and I am now not too keen on the MTM design at all.

Not really sure what to do for the center now. Back to reading on, I guess.

I was trying to utilize the TB W3-594SB's that I have (with the Morel DMS30S tweeter), as they would at least compliment the TB W4-616SA & DMS30S 2-ways that I'm doing for the front L+R. I don't have any issue with doing a similar 2-way (vertical) with a W3 for the center, but I'm not so sure how well it would hold up.

Besides the W3's and Morel DMS30S's that I have on hand to use, I also have a few HiVi Q1R tweeters, a couple of HiVi 4" M4N's, and I even dug up a couple of Audax HT080M0 3" drivers (still new in the boxes, guess I tucked them away and forgot about them!).

hmmmmmm....

I'd think I'd try both ideas if you have the parts - of course one xo won't have a tweeter - if I'm reading this right.

More details work help..........

Hi all,

Im building a center channel MTM with two 3" TB W3-594S and a Morel DMS-30S handling the high. From my studying around, I was thinking that I'd try building the cabinet with an angled front baffle, mounting the TB's in the angled baffle (20-30 deg. to the rear), on either side of the tweeter. I was reading about this design in the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, and this center will have to be horizontally polarized.

My question is more regarding the x-over. Initially, I followed the x-over design guide on the forum, and obtained the required parts, as I originally intended on using these drivers as standard 2-way's. If I am now doing them as a MTM center, do I use an individual x-over for each 3" TB and parallel the inputs to the xovers, or parallel the drivers and use a single x-over? Also, with that, should I build the cabinet as one, or a cabinet that consists of individual cabinets for each driver? (would appear as a single cabinet though)

I was initially thinking on doing the individual cabinet per TB driver, along with an individual x-over for each TB driver (since i already have the components) But now I am second guessing!!:confused:

Advice?

btw, why so much angle :eek: 20 - 30? these are only 6 degrees.

Attachments

• HDS 100.jpg
    HDS 100.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 165
Try both of which?

Or are you suggesting just to go ahead and experiment? Which I would have to admit....I love to experiment, as I find that we can be surprised from time to time when comparing real world results to mathematics. However, with that said, I also don't want to experiment with something that someone else has already, and found that it was not good.

As for the angle.....AHHHH....i think I may have explained the design incorrectly. I didn't mean the entire front baffle angled. Only on either side of the tweeter. Something like...
m\__/m
t

I've seen them around for some time. Then read about them in the LDCB (loudspeaker design cookbook).

Yes experiment. Also go ahead an build a test box; I don't think "chambers" are the way to go, just the one. What is the volume is needed for one driver?

(1) use an individual x-over for each 3" TB and parallel the inputs to the xovers,
(2) or parallel the drivers and use a single x-over? Also, with that, should I build the cabinet as one, or a cabinet that consists of individual cabinets for each driver? (would appear as a single cabinet though)

Advice?

Well, I was planning on doing this center channel with an external x-over, just to save cabinet space since I am a little limited. Depth and width are no issue, but I am limited to 5 1/2" max height under the TV. I could go over the TV, but that puts it pretty close to the ceiling, and under is about perfect for sitting level (and would be a closer alignment to the L+R placement height).

I ran a few design sims (for two drivers in parallel), both sealed and vented, and this is where I am really starting to see my concern as to if the W3 drivers can handle it. With a sealed enclosure, a volume of anywhere between 0.07cuft to 0.151cuft, my sims are showing that they would hit max cone displacement at around 300Hz (and that is only with 5w input). A vented enclosure with a volume of 0.318 cuft and Fb of 74Hz, shows the same result. If I up the Fb to say 100Hz, the volume drops to 0.142cuft, but max displacement is still hit at around 300Hz.

With a single driver, vented, and Fb's of 70 up to 150Hz the volume ranges from 0.02cuft to 0.16cuft. The displacement max is worse, at around 350Hz and up.

Maybe I'll run a sim with the HiVi drivers and see how that looks.

Attachments

• TANGBAND W3-594SB, VB = 5.0 L, FB = 60.3 Hz, 82.4 dB2.83Vm..jpg
    TANGBAND W3-594SB, VB = 5.0 L, FB = 60.3 Hz, 82.4 dB2.83Vm..jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Well, I was planning on doing this center channel with an external x-over, just to save cabinet space since I am a little limited. Depth and width are no issue, but I am limited to 5 1/2" max height under the TV. I could go over the TV, but that puts it pretty close to the ceiling, and under is about perfect for sitting level (and would be a closer alignment to the L+R placement height).

I just realized that I totally forgot to state what I was getting at there....basically I meant to end that with the fact that I planned on having the x-over network external from the the cabinet, it does allow for easier experimentation.

I completely forgot about the fact that I was going to use a full-range as a mid driver. I guess this is case in point to test the driver yourself or build the cabinet and tune/build the x-over via testing.

I did purchase all the parts to build a decent testing mic to do testing using software....just never got around to building it. Guess maybe I should get on that. The only thing is, I am completely new to that (building x-over networks from your own testing).

Also, I ran some sims using the other drivers that I have on hand (Audax HT080M0 and HiVi M4N), and the low end extension got better with each one, as well as the power handling and cone displacement.

What are your thoughts on using a different driver style between the L+R mains and the center channel? (I haven't really had time to study the spec's or look up reviews on the Audax & HiVi drivers yet)

I also had another thought, using the angled baffle approach (like that in the pic from ODougbo), only flipped (angled down), 2-way, the tweeter on the bottom (to align the centers), and placed above the TV (on the edge of a shelf). Would the downward angled front baffle help with the fact of the center cabinet being well above the listening and L+R height?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.