don't really know what I'm doing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well this will be my first attempt at designing and building my first speakers. I want three way floor standing speakers. I was thinking using 2 HiVi M8N 8" Aluminum/Magnesium Woofers, 1 HiVi M4N 4" Aluminum/Magnesium Midbass, and 1 HiVi SD1.1-A 1" Textile Dome Tweeter. My first question is am I even going the right direction, are these components going to match well. Also I have no idea what to do crossover wise.

It's still all kind of coming together so you might want to contact Erich before hitting any "buy" buttons, but there are lots of $100-250/speaker kits here: Home page DIY Sound Group.

You kind of really need to know what you're doing to design a decent 3-way, and it's hard to do a good one without a largeish budget too, which is why you don't see a lot of affordable 3-way kits.

Last edited:
Hahaha, yea I kind of figured. I was looking at those, but their kits are expensive i only want to spend about 500 bucks.

DIY Speaker Components | Replacement Speakers | and Speaker kits from Meniscus Audio Group

As to your inquiry, the M8's have about 6-7dB more output than the M4 has, so the M4 will not keep up. You'd have to go with at least the M5 to get there, and the dual woofer setup would need to be a 3.5way for best balance. Some like that tweeter, but I've not used/heard it.

If all of that is over your head, do your homework first, and maybe build a smaller kit to get your feet wet.
Later,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.