Drivers with a smooth roll off?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When choosing drivers i'd rather look at ones with a smooth roll off to make crossover design easier. Has anyone got any recommendations for woofers and tweeters that have a smooth roll off?

The 8" Vifa M21WG-09-08 rolls off pretty smoothly. The one used in the Gale gold monitor rolls off smoothly and I think it may be the Peerless SKO130 (new old stock can be found on ebay). The Seas A26RE4 also has a smooth roll off.
Can anyone think of any more?

This depends quite a lot on the baffle it's used with, no? ;)

Beyond the problem of the baffle, you'll also need to factor-in dispersion character when transitioning from the woofer to the tweeter. Basically most drivers will exhibit some form of "suck-out" off-axis (both horizontally and vertically - but more importantly horizontally), and getting a smooth freq. transition off-axis can be extremely difficult between the tweeter and the woofer. :eek:

Last edited:
This depends quite a lot on the baffle it's used with, no? ;)

Beyond the problem of the baffle, you'll also need to factor-in dispersion character when transitioning from the woofer to the tweeter. Basically most drivers will exhibit some form of "suck-out" off-axis, and getting a smooth freq. transition off-axis can be extremely difficult between the tweeter and the woofer. :eek:

If you're referring to the SS in the Intimates, I refer you to my techtalk forum link in earlier post #3. Examine the on and off axis response tests. Not too shabby IMO. Can't find any 'suck-out'.

Last edited:
If you're referring to the SS in the Intimates, I refer you to my techtalk forum link in an earlier post. Examine the on and off axis response tests. Not too shabby IMO. Can't find any 'suck-out'.

Nope. Just a general statement to fatmarley. ;)

Often when people ask for an "easy" woofer that rolls off smoothly, what they are really asking for is a driver that has a 1st order low-pass nature on-axis so that they don't need to have a low-pass network. Of course, what they often forget is that measurements for those drivers are on an infinite baffle AND that they are often only considering the on-axis response.

Last edited:
SS drivers. Check out the "Intimates" mini-monitors at the link below for specific driver models. Also note the simple crossover I was able to use because of the smooth roll offs.

Introducing the "INTIMATES" (high WAF & quality sound)

A bit too expensive for me at the moment, but I like the simple crossover design (i'm using a modified AR-XO currently) and the woofers are happy to be in a sealed box. Maybe one day...

Nope. Just a general statement to fatmarley. ;)

Often when people ask for an "easy" woofer that rolls off smoothly, what they are really asking for is a driver that has a 1st order low-pass nature on-axis so that they don't need to have a low-pass network. Of course, what they often forget is that measurements for those drivers are on an infinite baffle AND that they are often only considering the on-axis response.

I don't mind using a low-pass network. I'd just like it to be as simple as possible.

My current speakers have a dip at the crossover point off-axis and the tweeter slope is a bit shallow, but they sound very good to my ears. I really need to get my **** into gear and try another crossover I modeled to see if a technically better crossover sounds better.

I don't mind using a low-pass network. I'd just like it to be as simple as possible.

My current speakers have a dip at the crossover point off-axis and the tweeter slope is a bit shallow, but they sound very good to my ears. I really need to get my **** into gear and try another crossover I modeled to see if a technically better crossover sounds better.

Consider a waveguide solution for the top-end (..tweeter, not compression driver). That way you should be able to match dispersion better and have a simpler electrical high-pass for the tweeter with much lower excursion and non-linear distortion. (..it also aids in offset for the tweeter for better alignment.) Look to the January 24 & February 5 2010 posting on Zaph's blog (near the bottom of the page):

Zaph|Audio

Combining something similar with the Seas 10" (A26RE) on a wide baffle should be nice.

This speaker utilizes a variant of the A26RE:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o96-loudspeaker

You would need a wider baffle howeer (..and of course the waveguide loaded tweeter is insufficient in it's loading on that design). In fact you can see the suck-out horizontally centered on 2 kHz (in Fig. 4):

http://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o96-loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:
Consider a waveguide solution for the top-end (..tweeter, not compression driver). That way you should be able to match dispersion better and have a simpler electrical high-pass for the tweeter with much lower excursion and non-linear distortion. (..it also aids in offset for the tweeter for better alignment.) Look to the January 24 & February 5 2010 posting on Zaph's blog (near the bottom of the page):

I actually use a waveguide in my current speakers (Monacor DT300).

Thanks for all the driver suggestions Scott. I quite like the look of the M165X.

When choosing drivers i'd rather look at ones with a smooth roll off to make crossover design easier. Has anyone got any recommendations for woofers and tweeters that have a smooth roll off?

The 8" Vifa M21WG-09-08 rolls off pretty smoothly. The one used in the Gale gold monitor rolls off smoothly and I think it may be the Peerless SKO130 (new old stock can be found on ebay). The Seas A26RE4 also has a smooth roll off.
Can anyone think of any more?

Hi,

If you don't mind a smaller 5.5" mid-woofer that also have a nice bass extension, here's the smoothest mid-woofer I've measured.

ScanSpeak 15W/4531G00 Measurements!

/Göran

Attachments

• scanspeak15W8530K01closemicedred.png
    scanspeak15W8530K01closemicedred.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.