Reconing an Eminence Deltalite II 2512 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 10:23 PM   #1
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
Default Reconing an Eminence Deltalite II 2512

Hi everyone

I lent out a par of speakers and one of the bass drivers came back blown..

After reading a lot of how to's on reconing and watching some on youtube, Seamed fairly easy.
I bought a recone kit for the Eminence Deltalite II 2512,
but the recone kit came completely disassembled i.e voicecoil, cone and spider are not glued together and i cannot find any "how to's" with assembling those.

Do any of you know where i can find a guide to do this?

And what kind of glue do you recommend for the spider, coil and cone? since the kit didn't come with any glue at all.

PS. The website i bougt it from said that it was a "complete kit" and menssioned nothing about the missing glue or that the parts were separete.
All in all not very happy with this purchases so far. But i'm hoping you guys(and gals) can help me in this time of need(Pretty please)
Old 9th January 2013, 11:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like you got pro kit. Didn't those how tos give you enough info? :-)
Old 9th January 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The disassembled kits can be tough. I hope it came with shims. The most challenging part is ensuring the voice coil is properly aligned in the direction of travel. Most mfg will specify the height above the spider or cone that the top of the vc former should sit at. I like to measure the vc height and the gap height and work it out on my own. Depending on the driver if you are going to be a fraction of a milimeter off(and you will be) its better to be off in the outward direction so you don't crash against the back plate at high excursion. Not sure where to get glue in Denmark but this page may help Speaker Repair Adhesives, Glues, Epoxy, Cone Edge Sealers.
Some of the best adhesive I've used was called super black. I remember it having a foreign language on it. I think it is made in the Mid East or Thailand.
Lastly make sure the lead wires have plenty of length to allow for excursion but route them so they don't hit the cone it sounds bad.

Most reconers will tell you to find some one with experience to do it, but that does seem a bit self serving. Just come to terms with the fact that if you do it yourself you may have to do it over again soon. But then you'll know how =).

Best of luck,
-Matt
Old 10th January 2013, 09:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerdoctor View Post
Looks like you got pro kit. Didn't those how tos give you enough info? :-)
Yeah looks like it. Nope, i have no clue about how to align the voicecoil and spider.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlong8 View Post
The disassembled kits can be tough. I hope it came with shims.
it came with a shim, a curcular piece of plactik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlong8 View Post
The most challenging part is ensuring the voice coil is properly aligned in the direction of travel. Most mfg will specify the height above the spider or cone that the top of the vc former should sit at. I like to measure the vc height and the gap height and work it out on my own. Depending on the driver if you are going to be a fraction of a milimeter off(and you will be) its better to be off in the outward direction so you don't crash against the back plate at high excursion.
I didn't come with any info an i can't find any on eminence own website. but i'll probably be able to measure it the distance.

Do you have any tips on alligning the spider and voicecoil?
Old 10th January 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

I'll give you full instructions, but now I'm busy, ask again in 3 or 4 hours.
Thanks.

EDIT: meanwhile search and link here the Eminence .PDF datasheet for your speaker, it will save us some time.
If not, get a good ruler which can measure to its edge.
Like metal shop rulers, not like school rulers which start a couple mm from the edge.
And worst case, cut a school ruler, so "0" is just on the edge.
And in millimeters, forget Medieval Inches based on some long dead King's thumb width.

Last edited by JMFahey; 10th January 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10th January 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This isn't rocket science. Just center the voice coil windings on the pole plate closest to the cone. As for the spider, it will position itself.

Measure and do the math.
Old 10th January 2013, 10:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerdoctor View Post
This isn't rocket science. Just center the voice coil windings on the pole plate closest to the cone. As for the spider, it will position itself.

Measure and do the math.
I may not be, but being a student i really don't have money to screw this up and i just wanted to avoid any pitfalls there might be to this process that i could have overlooked..
Old 10th January 2013, 10:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
I'll give you full instructions, but now I'm busy, ask again in 3 or 4 hours.
Thanks.
Thanks alot

Quote:
EDIT: meanwhile search and link here the Eminence .PDF datasheet for your speaker, it will save us some time.
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2512.pdf
That is all i could find. no info on the kit itself.

Quote:
If not, get a good ruler which can measure to its edge.
Like metal shop rulers, not like school rulers which start a couple mm from the edge.
I have calipers and proper workshop rulers available
Old 10th January 2013, 11:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU View Post
I may not be, but being a student i really don't have money to screw this up and i just wanted to avoid any pitfalls there might be to this process that i could have overlooked..
I understand your concern - not having done this before. I browsed youtube for a bit trying to find a video showing how to center the VC but all I find are videos where the voice coil is already attached to the cone and spider. LOL.

I generally use .010 inch plastic shim stock. Cut a shim that fits most the way around the VC circumference. Place the VC on the shim and slide it down until the windings are centered on the thickness of the top place closest to the woofer frame. Take a measurement of the top plate (the thick steel plate on one side of the magnet and closest to the frame) thickness and width of the VC windings and subtract to two. Divide by 2 and that's the distance from the top of the voice coil windings to the top of the top pole plate. You can add the distance of the top of the VC winding to the top of the VC former plus the number you calculated and that's the 'set height'. The height from the top of the voice coil former to the top of the pole plate. Once that's set, slide the spider down over the VC until it sits on the frame. Slide the cone down over the VC former and glue it down. I use super-glue.

Last edited by speakerdoctor; 10th January 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!