Looking for different designs with ER18RNX alt. CA18RNX and a Seas tweet. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 09:03 PM   #1
sibbeli is offline sibbeli  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for different designs with ER18RNX alt. CA18RNX and a Seas tweet.

Hi!

I am looking for different designs that is using theese seas drivers.
It seems to deliver quite good performance for the cost, even better than the CA18RNX that i was going to use from the beginning.

The speaker desing i am interested in are a full register speaker, likely a 2,5/3 way matched to a Seas tweeter.

Are there any designs out there that i am able to copy?

Or is it wizer to go with the CA18RNX insted as ithere are a handfull designs using those drivers?
Is the difference in distortion even noticable when these drivers are put in a box?

I recall that i in someplace read that distortion measurement on a single driver is quite useless, as when it is put in a system with another driver and differenet boxes, measurements no longer are useful?
I mean, there are so many things that can cause distortion in a system so is it even useful to look at distortion measures on a single driver?

If it is, is the difference between Ca18 and ER18 noticable?

What are your thougths on these drivers?

I am primarily looking for a design using good quality drivers so that i can build a already existing ddesing first, and then later experiment on my own when my knowledge on speakerdesigning is a little bit more existing

I was originally set on building Zaphs Waveguide TMM, but then when i realised there were some problems regarding getting hold of the waveguide i thought it would be a good idea to ask for some advise on good designs.

I am almost set on a SEAS only design, but i might change my mind if i get any good suggestions.

The system has to be capable of high SPL, thats why i am looking on 2,5 and 3 way systems. I like the idea of huge headroom, thus is high spl capability important.

Of course, distortion is a high priority too.

Price for drivers, around 500$

Thanks in advance, M.
Old 10th January 2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Juhazi is online now Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi, perhaps you could try this rather recent construction by Troels or some other his speaker. You can easily go with cheaper xo components.
Jenzen CA
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 10th January 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have the ER18RNX in 24L tuned to the low 40s (with notch filter on the xover), Its a nice sounding, analytical speaker, but somewhat lacking in the low end, Looking at how Troels used the CA18RNX in the PMS, I expect it would be similar.
To my mind, the CA18RLY is a fuller sounding & more natural speaker & easier to crossover, but needs a larger box (I'm using 38L tuned to the low 40s, with the excellent 22TFF tweeter, currently my favourite system)

Hide this!Advertise here!