Celestion Ditton 332 Crossover; - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 07:11 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I think you can work out these values with a bit of help and detective work. A diiton 332 crossover pictured here:
New SEAS drivers in Ditton 332 Cabinets

That's 4 of the cap values I can see straight off. C4 is 12uF NP. Small C7 might be 1.5uF NP, not sure.

You'll need a good mutimeter with an inductance scale to measure your coils. Keep track of wiring polarity too. Here's a typical 3-way for comparison:
3-Way Classic

This whole thing might be best rebuilt on new PCBs:
Crossover PCB

I think I could guess some values if you can draw up the schematic. Celestion did reuse a lot of circuits. Usually a 4th order bass and third order tweeter, but let's see. This is not an easy restore, but if you are methodical and make notes it can be done, I reckon.

Thanks for your reply. I just received replacement crossovers for 332's yesterday. I don't have any difficulties about cap values. Problem is, i don't know which wire goes to which driver, or any out of phase connection involved or not. Check pics

And total of 14 caps will be expensive. Especially with 60uf ones. Do you have any brand recommendation for caps? I used Clarity Caps ESA series in sw-156's with great results.

Note: If you check old crossover, someone replaced bipolar paper caps with electrolytic polar caps. Pity!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130126_095738.jpg (246.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20130126_095712.jpg (298.7 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by starbender; 26th January 2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:16 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Last week replacement crossovers recapped. Replacement HF2001 is on the way.
I checked all drivers, all seems fine, but I cannot find any polarity markings at all. No dots or - + marks. None of them have any markings. Is there any method celestion used as a guide for polarity?

I can check driver polarities with 1.5V battery, but so many people does not suggest this method. Any opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130326-WA0001.jpg (82.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 16th May 2013, 12:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ditton 332s - an unusual choice but strangely enough one I did myself a year or so ago . Replaced tweeters with SEAS , replaced caps and fully re-wired. Then rubbed down cases with wire wool and re-oiled - look like new now . Replaced the grille fabric with nice modern black. Also then built solid Oak stand at the specified height .
Unfortunately they were too big for the house (according to the missus) so now reside in the Garage ,so I have to listen to music through the TV surround sound
My Dad has 33s he's had from new and they sound great in his large'ish living room.
Attached a pic of them before case re-furb and new stands . Also have 2 dead HF2001s , 2 spare cases + 2 bass units .
Happy listening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03849.JPG (44.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00043-20110703-1445.jpg (408.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 29th July 2013, 11:51 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Found replacement HF2001 tweeter and recapped crossovers. I'm about to finish this project but I need to find xover->driver wiring schematic. Problem is I don't know if mid or tweeter needs out of phase wiring. Because P.O. removed all cables between drivers and xover, there is no evidence for proper wiring.

Goalhanger, did you remember driver wiring for 332's, is there any driver needs out of phase wiring?
Also did you have 2 spare 332 bass drivers? I may need those
Old 29th July 2013, 12:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Starbender , I may have a diagram I scribbled out when I rewired the drivers. I will check to see what I have . Unfortunately I didnt get any pics of the gubbins when finished but before I loaded all back in the box - what a numpty ...
Phil
Old 29th July 2013, 01:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalhanger View Post
Hi Starbender , I may have a diagram I scribbled out when I rewired the drivers. I will check to see what I have . Unfortunately I didnt get any pics of the gubbins when finished but before I loaded all back in the box - what a numpty ...
Phil
Phil, thank you so much! Waiting for your precious reply
Old 30th July 2013, 08:12 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Starbender. I cant find my diagrams at the moment, but if I recall I just used the + side of the crossover to go to the + side of the speakers. I did check with the bass ones by listening and swapping over but all was correct.
I found the bass speakers last night but they are very slightly different on the magnet so I will whip the others out of the speakers so see if I put un-matched ones in for some reason . Numbers on the back are correct though. What is actually wrong with the bass units you have ? they are normally quite robust .
Quite heavy to post so where are you based ? I am in south east Essex.

Phil
Old 30th July 2013, 08:45 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Starbender. I cant find my diagrams at the moment, but if I recall I just used the + side of the crossover to go to the + side of the speakers. I did check with the bass ones by listening and swapping over but all was correct.
I found the bass speakers last night but they are very slightly different on the magnet so I will whip the others out of the speakers so see if I put un-matched ones in for some reason . Numbers on the back are correct though. What is actually wrong with the bass units you have ? they are normally quite robust .
Quite heavy to post so where are you based ? I am in south east Essex.

Phil
Thank you Phil. I will wire all drivers in phase and check.
Bass drivers have different problems. One bass driver has badly sagged surround, other one has slight vc rubbing. Don't know what to do about these..

I'm in Istanbul! Lately I received xovers from England, My friend sent them with royalmail, they arrived just ok.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:17 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I do actually have friends/colleagues who travel to the Ford/Otasan plant in Kocaeli. So I will investigate possible carry over, although weight may still be an issue . I will check.
When I checked the phase of my speakers I did get addional listeners to make sure I wasnt missing anything !
By the way , did you find a replacement HF2001 or did you go the SEAS route ? I am happy enough with the SEAS although I may fix the HF2001 surround over the top to make it look neater .
Phil
Old 30th July 2013, 09:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do actually have friends/colleagues who travel to the Ford/Otasan plant in Kocaeli. So I will investigate possible carry over, although weight may still be an issue . I will check.
When I checked the phase of my speakers I did get addional listeners to make sure I wasnt missing anything !
By the way , did you find a replacement HF2001 or did you go the SEAS route ? I am happy enough with the SEAS although I may fix the HF2001 surround over the top to make it look neater .
Phil
No, I think about replacing both with seas, but I found working HF2001 locally, checked resistance, it was around 7ohm. HF2001 is hard to come by, celestion didn't sold this to oem manufacturers, thus replacement must removed from xx2 series.

About bass drivers, I'll wait for your response, finally I can finish this project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130727_162829.jpg (437.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20130727_162720.jpg (228.9 KB, 6 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!