diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Ekta Grande project/AR-1 variation (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/227333-ekta-grande-project-ar-1-variation.html)

Coasttocoast 8th January 2013 06:47 PM

Ekta Grande project/AR-1 variation

1 Attachment(s)
I have started building a set of Ekta Grande speakers (Troels Gravesen). The driver layout, drivers, crossover, faceting on the front baffle, dampening, and internal volume are all to the original design. My cabinets, however, in shape and finish will be similar to Sony's flagship speaker, the AR-1's.

I have received the drivers and are about 50% done with the cabinets. I need to order crossover parts. My question is that Janzen has given me the option of upgrading to wax coils.

Anyone with experience to compare pros/cons?

Attachment 322423

Coasttocoast 10th January 2013 06:25 PM

Cabinet construction continues

1 Attachment(s)
I've finished laying up the cabinet sides (3 layers 3/8" plywood) and started skimming with body filler. Final finish will be a 2 part, base coat/clear coat automotive paint, high gloss black. I went ahead and ordered the wax coils suggested by Jantzen, and approved by Troels to work with his crossover design.

The crossovers will be mounted in the base section, closed off from the cabinet interior, accessible through a removable aluminum cover plate.

Open to anyone building this design having comments or suggestions.

Attachment 323001

adason 10th January 2013 08:37 PM

looking good so far...

Coasttocoast 11th January 2013 08:47 PM

Adason, thanks for the reply.

Coasttocoast 11th January 2013 08:56 PM

Driver order from MadisonSound

1 Attachment(s)
Drivers used;
Attachment 323233

Igor 12th January 2013 01:42 AM

Hi CtC

take a look at my Ekta's Troelsova Ekta Grande - Project gallery/WIKI - diyaudio.rs

I also change assimetrical original look, buy Jantzen parts, have separate compartment for XO, also use Scan not Vifa RR,...And I hope u will be pleased with sound as I'm!

Good luck and keep us informed!

I

cersepn 12th January 2013 02:51 AM

Look fantastic, nice job! Please show us pictures when it's finally completed

Coasttocoast 13th January 2013 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Igor (Post 3321920)
Hi CtC

take a look at my Ekta's Troelsova Ekta Grande - Project gallery/WIKI - diyaudio.rs

I also change assimetrical original look, buy Jantzen parts, have separate compartment for XO, also use Scan not Vifa RR,...And I hope u will be pleased with sound as I'm!

Good luck and keep us informed!

I

Igor, thanks for your reply! Yes I saw your build on Troels site. Beautiful wood.

I bought all ScanSpeak drivers, and I ordered all the crossover parts from Jantzen;

Attachment 323509

I ordered the upgrade wax coils, is that what you did?

Coasttocoast 13th January 2013 07:03 AM

Working on front baffle

1 Attachment(s)
Spent the day at our company's shop with the CNC tech to cut the speaker openings in the baffle. Here's a shot to verify alignment sincere I had already started shaping the faceting and the mid-woofers cut out starts only a couple mm's from the edge;

Attachment 323510

Igor 13th January 2013 08:56 AM

I ordered the upgrade wax coils, is that what you did?[/QUOTE]

Yes,

Wax coils (1.2mH and 0.39mH), air cores (all others), SilverZ caps, Mills resistors, Cardas wires. Standard quality, nothing insane here :-)
I also modifies 12M 'box'. I didn't like sqare shape of original so I use iregural shape in my Ekta's. Keep volume around 3 liters (more than enough). That helps me a bit to increase volume for two 18's. This was very important part, to keep size moderate (WAF).

If I remeber, netto volume for bass cabinet is around 60 liters. And, I use one port (better for my room).

BR,

I