Ekta Grande project/AR-1 variation - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2013, 04:23 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Pre-prime prep complete

Ready for primer, driver holes taped off, in the paint booth. Yea!!

image.jpg
Old 10th February 2013, 12:56 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Excellent!

For even better sonic results, try to mount the coils so that their
induction axes point in different directions.
Old 13th February 2013, 05:38 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasKarud View Post
Excellent!

For even better sonic results, try to mount the coils so that their
induction axes point in different directions.

JonasKarud, thanks for commenting. It was all I could do to get these in the way I did, due to space. I only had about 2 1/2" depth to work with and some of the coils are larger than that on their side. I was able to organize them, as in the pic, with 3 1/2" between them. Before I fixed them to the board I sent a pic to Troels and he said he thought the layout looked fine. I know it would have been a safer bet to organize in different directions as you said.

We will see soon, put the first 2 coats of primer on today;

image.jpg

Let the sanding begin!
Old 20th February 2013, 07:55 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default Almost ready for color

Nice to have a 3 day weekend. I was able to spray the last 2 coats of primer Saturday. Monday morning spent sanding it all over again and filling the small imperfections with some spot putty.

After lunch I wiped them down with a damp cloth and rolled them into the booth. I sprayed them first with a medium wet coat of DTM epoxy primer/sealer, then two medium wet coats of black base coat, then two medium wet coats of Chroma Clear.

Here is a pic of one final sanded and one with the spot putty.

image.jpg
F5turbo v3 monoblocks, DIY Hagerman Clarinet and Coronet 2 Linestage and Phonostage, DIY RAKK DAC Mark IV, Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD Player, SP10 MKII (under construction), DIY Ekta Grande speakers, DIY pair active 12" ScanSpeak sub's, Transparent cables.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:24 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Color on

I pulled them out of the booth this afternoon and started the first round of color sanding. Sanding as little as possible with 1200 grit and pad to make the "orange peel" disappear. I was pretty proud of them at this point. With as much sanding and buffing ahead of me I almost talked myself into taking them home, they looked that good. But, sticking to plan, finish the color sanding, then 2 more coats of clear, then another round of color sanding, then the polishing.

Here is the first one almost complete with color sanding and the one on the right is right out of the booth;

image.jpg
F5turbo v3 monoblocks, DIY Hagerman Clarinet and Coronet 2 Linestage and Phonostage, DIY RAKK DAC Mark IV, Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD Player, SP10 MKII (under construction), DIY Ekta Grande speakers, DIY pair active 12" ScanSpeak sub's, Transparent cables.
Old 6th March 2013, 05:41 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Default Cabinets complete, wiring

I used ASA Kable Silver Plated 12 Gauge Speaker Wire for the internal runs, zip tied to each brace to keep from banging around

image.jpg
Old 6th March 2013, 05:47 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover installed

I made a recess in the bottom of each cabinet to house the crossover separate from the cabinet internal area for easy access.

image.jpg
Old 6th March 2013, 05:50 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Default Installing drivers

First set of drivers going in

image.jpg
Old 6th March 2013, 05:58 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Trying them out at the shop before I took them home today

I was so excited!! Powered right up and sounded great, even in the large open shop. I was really shocked at the amount of base and cleaness of the treble in the worst type of environment. Source audio was my iPhone through the PAS 2 (all tubes4hifi upgrades), I still have to place the Acoustilux, install the rest of the screws and re-install my signature/logo on the right speaker

image.jpg
Old 6th March 2013, 06:06 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default Finally home!

This project started forming in my mind the end of December and now nearly complete and home the first of March. I can't believe how much sanding and polishing these took!

I used a 2 step process, all DuPont Choma products. Each cabinet has 4 coats of clear. Wet sanded with 1200 grit after the first 2, then back in the booth for the next 2. After the second set of 1200 grit wet sanding, then 2000 grit. Then the polishing. I used 3m's Perfect-It 3 step system. Each step uses a different compound with matching buffer wheel. I thought I would never finish!

FYI, each cabinet has about a third of a gallon of clear.

image.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!