Good small woofer match for Dynaudio D260?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build a small (ish) pair of book shelf speakers, and I already have a pair of Dynaudio D-260 tweeter on hand. I'd love to find a woofer in the 5-7" range that I could use in a small box, and would compliment the Dynaudio's nicely. Something proven would work very nicely also. I don't have as much time as I once did to get into the minutia of speaker building. The Dynaudio 15W75 or one of the 17W75's is an obvious answer, but I wonder what 2 decades of advancement in woofer design would give me.

Anyone have any recommendations? I pretty open to any suggestions.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm using my MW144's in 5L (each) sealed in an MTM config tweeter (dms37 93db) is padded maybe 3db after baffle step on the woofers is taken care of... though I think the Mw144's are slightly more sensitive than their replacement.

F3 is around 80Hz... I figured if you were looking at 5" you would be using something at the low end (though admittedly I've been happily running with just the MTM's for a couple of years now, still haven't got the active crossovers for the bass done :rolleyes: When I hooked up the prototype and listened to one, it definitely cleaned up the mids (which are already very good) so if you want the best from these drivers better not to run them all the way down. I was crossing at 200Hz.

Tony.

SB Acoustics SB15... Vented cast frame, +/- 5mm linear stroke,1.2" voice coil, ideal for 9-10 liter reflex boxes. I have built a pair with these woofers, and Vifa DX19TD 05-04 tweeters. Using a 1.5" diameter 7" long port their low end response is just phenomenal, going down to the 35 Hz region (in real listening environments). You can get them for around 70-60 USD (or 50 Euros). Not many better 5" woofers in this category I know of.

Hi,

There is not much that won't work with the D260 tweeters, and given
they are old, best to downgrade them to being good but not SOTA.

Any good value midrange cost bassmid, loads of choices.

rgds, sreten.

I'm just wondering what you are basing that on. Not arguing the point at all, but I still have received many comments from people that they are amongst their favorite tweeters. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I'm just wondering what you are basing that on. Not arguing the point at all, but I still have received many comments from people that they are amongst their favorite tweeters. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Not starting an argument here, but as sreten will tell you from his thoughts, mine is there is something else to look at. Like you will need a good driver for the type of crossover the tweeter will ask for. Let's just say that Fs=1000Hz.

Hi
I'm looking to build a small (ish) pair of book shelf speakers, and I already have a pair of Dynaudio D-260 tweeter on hand. I'd love to find a woofer in the 5-7" range that I could use in a small box.....

Look for "ERGO IX", a small 2way with Scanspeak 5" and Morel 376.

The Dynaudios are somewhat similar to the Morels (are other way round ;) ) - probably some smaller changes in X.over could be a nice speaker to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.