AC-130MKII personal opinions wanted. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Siggma is offline Siggma  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AC-130MKII personal opinions wanted.

I'm building a bookshelf two way using the Aurum Cantus AC-130MKII. I bought 6 of them at a good price. I'm currently breaking them in at 50Hz on my bench and couldn't resist running a little music through them. Already I'm tickled at how clean they sound in the mid range and how fast, crisp and hard they sound. I hope I can design a suitable crossover that will showcase their capabilities. But I'm in somewhat of a dilema as to which tweeter to use. Aurum Cantus sells this and others like it with one of their ribbons like the G2 or G3 and get rave reviews but I can't afford and don't really want a ribbon. I'm currently looking at the Vifa XT25TG30 as a possible pair-up based solely on comments about it's depth and clarity. I'm also looking looking at using the Dayton Audio RS28A-4 1-1/8" Aluminum Dome Tweeter again mostly from comments I've heard plus it's the tweeter used in Jeff Bagby's "Continuum" along with the sibling of the AC-130MKII, the AC-130F1. The Vifa has an fs of 530Hz and I'm hoping to get it to cross below 2K. If I use 1.5 octave as a starting point I get 1325Hz which would be very nice as a crossover point. But I've never heard or worked with this or any other ring tweeter. The Dayton Audio RS28A has an fs at 592 (1.5 octave is 1480) so it too will probably cross around 1500Hz. It's been crossed that low in other speakers and I'm told it shines. It comes well represented in words and has been featured in numerous kits and other fine quality finished products. I'm also open to any suggestions. Any opinions?
Old 8th January 2013, 02:47 AM   #2
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
yes, the RS28A would work, as would the 27TDFC, although these are not the best sounding tweeters subjectively. The Peerless HDS tweeter might work crossing at 2k, or a Scanspeak tweeter. These are the better sounding tweeters.
Old 8th January 2013, 03:01 AM   #3
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

RS28A. Hard to do better unless you have a lot of money to burn. You could do a lot worse than to try to match the Continuum . . .
Old 8th January 2013, 03:18 AM   #4
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Trans Lab, N26C-T

or

http://meniscusaudio.com/trans-n26cx-p-1360.html

or

The RS28F over the "A" version..

or

Tang Band 28-537SH

Last edited by ScottG; 8th January 2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 8th January 2013, 02:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for responding. I appreciate your time and opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Ooo, nice ceramic done. Don't think it will keep up with this woof though and I'd have to remove or modify the faceplace. I barely have 4" to mount a tweet. The AC-130MK is a 90 db woofer plus that dome is on the outside of my budget. I also peeked at the Accuton ceramics but man they are horrendously expensive. Especially if you start talking 5 or more of them.

Quote:
The RS28F over the "A" version..
You like the "Silkie". If you have time maybe you could elaborate on why the Silkie over the Aluminum dome?
Quote:
or

Tang Band 28-537SH
And another textile dome. Silk/cloth domes remind me of the 80's and MTV. I could hear the 16K flyback's on their studio monitors cranking away in the background whenever they were yakking. I couldn't hear it on the Audax poly cone tweets or the peerless 2" poly cone I fiddled with at the time, and I clearly recall associating that sound with silk dome tweeters. Hmmm, Memories, how much they color my present perceptions. Thanks again,
Tom
Old 8th January 2013, 03:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
RS28A. Hard to do better unless you have a lot of money to burn. You could do a lot worse than to try to match the Continuum . . .
Heaven forbid I'd try to copy his work. I found the AC-130MK2 when I was looking for a suitable sealed 5" woofer that will get down to 80Hz or so. Initially I passed by it due to it's cost. It wasn't until later that I discovered he used the AC-130F1 in his now famous kit. They appear to use the same frame and motor structure with a different basket. The F1 uses a Carbon/Poly cone and is 88db 1w/1m whereas the MKII uses a Carbon/Kevlar cone and is 90db. It looks like painted Styrofoam. But the descriptions and Jeff's claim that the RS28A has the lowest distortion of any tweet he measured certainly got my attention. That's when I began paying attention to shorting rings and motor structures.

Thank you.
Old 8th January 2013, 04:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
yes, the RS28A would work, as would the 27TDFC, although these are not the best sounding tweeters subjectively. The Peerless HDS tweeter might work crossing at 2k, or a Scanspeak tweeter. These are the better sounding tweeters.
Some of the Scan Speak tweeters are copies or European remakes of the Peerless/Tympany/Vifa lines. More expensive copies I must add. I like their remake of the Vifa XT25BG60-04 in the ScanSpeak Discovery R2604/8330 Tweeter Dual Ring Radiator. Dual magnets, lower fs, better sensitivity almost identical FR. But they want twice the $$, yikes. When I need to purchase 5 of them...

Thank you for sharing.
Old 8th January 2013, 04:36 PM   #8
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually I'd not use both Daytons because they are both 4 ohms.. Between them however the soft dome version is generally considered the better performer both objectively and subjectively. (..though not by a lot, and the soft dome version is a little less efficient.)

Speaking of efficiency - have you taken into account equalization on a real baffle? I ask this because I doubt that you'll need a tweeter more efficient than 87db with that woofer.

Of the grouping the one I'd select (provided funds are available) would be the less expensive version of the ceramic dome from Transducer Labs. It's should give you the sort of clarity that you have expressed from Aurum Cantus mid-bass. If you have to cut-into the faceplate a little then that shouldn't be a problem (..a cheap jig saw can do that easily).

The Tangband apparently has excellent low non-linear distortion with enough of an extended low freq. response for your application while also reported as sounding excellent.

The Scan "update" of the Peerless HDS might also be an excellent *possibility*, but it depends on how it interacts with the baffle on it's low-end. In fact if it weren't for this (and the fact that it's likely a little too efficient for your application), it would also be a "Top-choice".
Old 8th January 2013, 04:49 PM   #9
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Between them however the soft dome version is generally considered the better performer both objectively and subjectively.
Nonsense.
Old 8th January 2013, 05:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Looks like I'm going to have to thunk on this for a while longer. I pulled two out of the batch and measured them real quick and they measure nothing like the MFG data. They measure quite a bit different between drivers as well. Plus they have a vented pole piece that's been covered with tape for some reason. Big 4-6db peak around 2K followed by a wide (3K-5K) 2 db dip then another big nasty peak at 12K-15K. This will take some thinking. As someone else said of this driver, "crossover hell". It's definitely going to require a low crossover point to mute the upper range breakup modes. I just hope it won't require too steep an electric slope. If I understand correctly a steep electric slope on a woofer tends to dampen the transient response so a second order slope is about the limit, yes?

Thank you again for all your opinions. Very helpful.

Hide this!Advertise here!