Semi-open/Infinite baffle speaker project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2013, 08:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Semi-open/Infinite baffle speaker project

I am thinking of a new speaker project in my bat cave. I use this room mainly as a listening room for stereo sound but do also have a home theatre system installed with a projector and a 110 inch screen.

I am now considering setting up a new speaker in this room. The idea is to use the Bohlender Graebener RD-75 as tweeter/mid range driver and then use an array of 8", 10" or 12" mid bass driver.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am currently using an infinite baffle sub consisting of two 18" Fi IB3 drivers under 50 Hz. This IB sub is installed in the back wall which might not be an ideal placement, however my experience is that under 60Hz it is impossible to hear the directivity of the sub-bass drivers.

The room is rather small: 3 x 5,5 m (10' x 16') which makes it too small for a normal open baffle speaker. I therefore have two options:

Option 1: Semi open baffle speaker

Option 2: Infinite baffle speaker

What do you think?

I am also looking for a good value mid-bass driver. I am planning to run this from 200-300 Hz down to 60-50 Hz. 12" is the maximum I have room for.
One driver I have found that might work is the AE Dipole12 driver. For many drivers per array this is an expensive option.

I have seen cheaper drivers from Dayton and Eminence being recommended. I do not have a lot of experience with open baffle/ infinite baffle speakers and would therefore appreciate some advice.

The whole system is going to be fully active by computer DSP. (Today I use Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC, Lynx Two B and FIR filters)
Old 6th January 2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

I really enjoy the boxless sound of dipoles/IB and faced the same question as you a few years ago. IB won because it didn't require dedicating huge floor space to get the speakers far enough from the front wall. (You won't need nearly as much space behind the false wall as you show in the drawing.)

One caveat though...without the backwave illuminating the walls, clarity will improve but envelopment suffer. In other words, you may find IB provides a very articulate but dry presentation. You may find your processor playing an important role in your system so consider provisions for an equally capable center channel behind an acoustically transparent screen. (Depending on activity/mood I alternate between simple stereo and processed multichannel.)
Old 6th January 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Paul,
Your setup looks really impressive!!!

For multi-channel usage I already have a capable center channel and surround speakers. I did not include these speakers in the drawing.

Do you think the IB option will become to analytic/lifeless for stereo music?
Old 6th January 2013, 11:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'd also go with open baffle for the reasons mentioned. And just because I like OB.

I've been playing with a similar idea using the RD50. The bass/mids I've been considering include the HiVi M8a, Dayton RS225, Peerless SLS 8 or 10, and Peerless 835028 just because it would look really cool.

Old 6th January 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

For 2-channel, dipole "liveliness" can sound better than IB because, properly placed in the right room, the dipole backwave can help compensate for spacial shortcomings of stereo. (My preferred dipole placement is 1.5-2M out from the long wall in a large room.)

When not limited to stereo, the greater clarity and imaging of IB really shines over dipole.

I enjoy stereo for casual listening (usually out of the sweet spot) but prefer multi for more concentrated listening. All systems are compromised in some way so we just choose tradeoffs.
Old 7th January 2013, 06:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Any recommendation for the mid-bass drivers for the array? I do not want to pay more than needed. The AE Dipole12 is very expensive at $289.

Do anyone have experience with cheaper drivers like Peerless SLS 10” or 12”, Dayton RS225 or RS270, Eminence Beta or Deltalite II 12" or a Beyma pro driver driver? I am planning to use this driver from 50Hz to 300Hz.

Last edited by harruharru; 7th January 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:31 PM   #7
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

There are IB subwoofers in the car hifi sector.
e.g. this one
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/CS325.PDF
No-name products can be very cheap if necessary.
In lower Qts dual voice coil drivers Qts can be raised by connecting only one coil.

Last edited by el`Ol; 7th January 2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I use the SLS 12" in my surrounds & it is a good driver though I'd probably shy from using it above 300 or so. Haven't used the RD75 myself but a couple of guys I know and respect say it sounds best crossed at 600. For a 600 XO, price/performance of the RS225 would be hard to beat.
Old 10th January 2013, 05:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't the Dayton RS270 (10") make more sense to use than the RS225(8")? I am a bit worried about the low sensitivity of both these drivers. Would a higher sensitivity 10" or 12" pro driver make more sense.

I was planning to use two Hypex Ucd700HG per side to drive the bass array and then Hypex NCORE for the RD75.
Old 10th January 2013, 08:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Either the 270 or 225 should work well. I believe the 225 has a better top end which would help if you decide you want to try a higher crossover. There are many pro drivers which would also work. The 225 and 270 have demodulation rings which is normally seen in more expensive drivers...and budget seems to be important.

Have you decided OB or IB? What max XO? You have subs, correct?

Hide this!Advertise here!