Semi-open/Infinite baffle speaker project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2013, 09:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I have not decided on OB or IB. I'm thinking that it is fearly easy in my room to try both setups.

For the XO I do not know. I will have to experiment. StigErik use a very low XO of 200Hz (180Hz?) while others use a much higher XO. I would expect that RS270 should work quite nice up to 600Hz. The break up of this driver starts at 3kHz even though the FR gets ragged from 1 kHz. The reason I might prefer the RS270 is the higher cone area. I am planning to try to get these bass arrays to play down to at least 60Hz at desent SPL (110 dB?). I do have an IB sub (2x 18" FI IB3)

Do you know of any pro drivers I should consider?
Old 10th January 2013, 10:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harruharru View Post
I am thinking of a new speaker project in my bat cave. I use this room mainly as a listening room for stereo sound but do also have a home theatre system installed with a projector and a 110 inch screen.

I am now considering setting up a new speaker in this room. The idea is to use the Bohlender Graebener RD-75 as tweeter/mid range driver and then use an array of 8", 10" or 12" mid bass driver.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am currently using an infinite baffle sub consisting of two 18" Fi IB3 drivers under 50 Hz. This IB sub is installed in the back wall which might not be an ideal placement, however my experience is that under 60Hz it is impossible to hear the directivity of the sub-bass drivers.

The room is rather small: 3 x 5,5 m (10' x 16') which makes it too small for a normal open baffle speaker. I therefore have two options:

Option 1: Semi open baffle speaker

Option 2: Infinite baffle speaker

What do you think?

I am also looking for a good value mid-bass driver. I am planning to run this from 200-300 Hz down to 60-50 Hz. 12" is the maximum I have room for.
One driver I have found that might work is the AE Dipole12 driver. For many drivers per array this is an expensive option.

I have seen cheaper drivers from Dayton and Eminence being recommended. I do not have a lot of experience with open baffle/ infinite baffle speakers and would therefore appreciate some advice.

The whole system is going to be fully active by computer DSP. (Today I use Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC, Lynx Two B and FIR filters)
I really like this basic room design, but for HT would use option 2. As is, I would add some overhead diffusion as well.

Last edited by Soundtrackmixer; 10th January 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harruharru View Post
For the XO I do not know. I will have to experiment. StigErik use a very low XO of 200Hz (180Hz?) while others use a much higher XO. I would expect that RS270 should work quite nice up to 600Hz. The break up of this driver starts at 3kHz even though the FR gets ragged from 1 kHz. The reason I might prefer the RS270 is the higher cone area. I am planning to try to get these bass arrays to play down to at least 60Hz at desent SPL (110 dB?). I do have an IB sub (2x 18" FI IB3)

Do you know of any pro drivers I should consider?
The 270 would handle bass better while the 225 would be a more predictable midrange performer. Clean 110 db is a lot to ask of the RD75 with a low XO. I haven't been in the market for pro drivers lately and haven't kept up with the latest. Pro seems to churn more than consumer so hopefully others will chime in with recommendations.

Hide this!Advertise here!