Semi-open/Infinite baffle speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of a new speaker project in my bat cave. I use this room mainly as a listening room for stereo sound but do also have a home theatre system installed with a projector and a 110 inch screen.

I am now considering setting up a new speaker in this room. The idea is to use the Bohlender Graebener RD-75 as tweeter/mid range driver and then use an array of 8", 10" or 12" mid bass driver.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am currently using an infinite baffle sub consisting of two 18" Fi IB3 drivers under 50 Hz. This IB sub is installed in the back wall which might not be an ideal placement, however my experience is that under 60Hz it is impossible to hear the directivity of the sub-bass drivers.

The room is rather small: 3 x 5,5 m (10' x 16') which makes it too small for a normal open baffle speaker. I therefore have two options:

Option 1: Semi open baffle speaker
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Option 2: Infinite baffle speaker

What do you think?

I am also looking for a good value mid-bass driver. I am planning to run this from 200-300 Hz down to 60-50 Hz. 12" is the maximum I have room for.
One driver I have found that might work is the AE Dipole12 driver. For many drivers per array this is an expensive option.

I have seen cheaper drivers from Dayton and Eminence being recommended. I do not have a lot of experience with open baffle/ infinite baffle speakers and would therefore appreciate some advice.

The whole system is going to be fully active by computer DSP. (Today I use Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC, Lynx Two B and FIR filters)

I really enjoy the boxless sound of dipoles/IB and faced the same question as you a few years ago. IB won because it didn't require dedicating huge floor space to get the speakers far enough from the front wall. (You won't need nearly as much space behind the false wall as you show in the drawing.)

One caveat though...without the backwave illuminating the walls, clarity will improve but envelopment suffer. In other words, you may find IB provides a very articulate but dry presentation. You may find your processor playing an important role in your system so consider provisions for an equally capable center channel behind an acoustically transparent screen. (Depending on activity/mood I alternate between simple stereo and processed multichannel.)

For 2-channel, dipole "liveliness" can sound better than IB because, properly placed in the right room, the dipole backwave can help compensate for spacial shortcomings of stereo. (My preferred dipole placement is 1.5-2M out from the long wall in a large room.)

When not limited to stereo, the greater clarity and imaging of IB really shines over dipole.

I enjoy stereo for casual listening (usually out of the sweet spot) but prefer multi for more concentrated listening. All systems are compromised in some way so we just choose tradeoffs.

Any recommendation for the mid-bass drivers for the array? I do not want to pay more than needed. The AE Dipole12 is very expensive at $289.

Do anyone have experience with cheaper drivers like Peerless SLS 10” or 12”, Dayton RS225 or RS270, Eminence Beta or Deltalite II 12" or a Beyma pro driver driver? I am planning to use this driver from 50Hz to 300Hz.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the Dayton RS270 (10") make more sense to use than the RS225(8")? I am a bit worried about the low sensitivity of both these drivers. Would a higher sensitivity 10" or 12" pro driver make more sense.

I was planning to use two Hypex Ucd700HG per side to drive the bass array and then Hypex NCORE for the RD75.

Either the 270 or 225 should work well. I believe the 225 has a better top end which would help if you decide you want to try a higher crossover. There are many pro drivers which would also work. The 225 and 270 have demodulation rings which is normally seen in more expensive drivers...and budget seems to be important.

Have you decided OB or IB? What max XO? You have subs, correct?

I have not decided on OB or IB. I'm thinking that it is fearly easy in my room to try both setups.

For the XO I do not know. I will have to experiment. StigErik use a very low XO of 200Hz (180Hz?) while others use a much higher XO. I would expect that RS270 should work quite nice up to 600Hz. The break up of this driver starts at 3kHz even though the FR gets ragged from 1 kHz. The reason I might prefer the RS270 is the higher cone area. I am planning to try to get these bass arrays to play down to at least 60Hz at desent SPL (110 dB?). I do have an IB sub (2x 18" FI IB3)

Do you know of any pro drivers I should consider?

I am thinking of a new speaker project in my bat cave. I use this room mainly as a listening room for stereo sound but do also have a home theatre system installed with a projector and a 110 inch screen.

I am now considering setting up a new speaker in this room. The idea is to use the Bohlender Graebener RD-75 as tweeter/mid range driver and then use an array of 8", 10" or 12" mid bass driver.

I am currently using an infinite baffle sub consisting of two 18" Fi IB3 drivers under 50 Hz. This IB sub is installed in the back wall which might not be an ideal placement, however my experience is that under 60Hz it is impossible to hear the directivity of the sub-bass drivers.

The room is rather small: 3 x 5,5 m (10' x 16') which makes it too small for a normal open baffle speaker. I therefore have two options:

Option 1: Semi open baffle speaker

Option 2: Infinite baffle speaker

What do you think?

I am also looking for a good value mid-bass driver. I am planning to run this from 200-300 Hz down to 60-50 Hz. 12" is the maximum I have room for.
One driver I have found that might work is the AE Dipole12 driver. For many drivers per array this is an expensive option.

I have seen cheaper drivers from Dayton and Eminence being recommended. I do not have a lot of experience with open baffle/ infinite baffle speakers and would therefore appreciate some advice.

The whole system is going to be fully active by computer DSP. (Today I use Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC, Lynx Two B and FIR filters)

I really like this basic room design, but for HT would use option 2. As is, I would add some overhead diffusion as well.

Last edited:
For the XO I do not know. I will have to experiment. StigErik use a very low XO of 200Hz (180Hz?) while others use a much higher XO. I would expect that RS270 should work quite nice up to 600Hz. The break up of this driver starts at 3kHz even though the FR gets ragged from 1 kHz. The reason I might prefer the RS270 is the higher cone area. I am planning to try to get these bass arrays to play down to at least 60Hz at desent SPL (110 dB?). I do have an IB sub (2x 18" FI IB3)

Do you know of any pro drivers I should consider?

The 270 would handle bass better while the 225 would be a more predictable midrange performer. Clean 110 db is a lot to ask of the RD75 with a low XO. I haven't been in the market for pro drivers lately and haven't kept up with the latest. Pro seems to churn more than consumer so hopefully others will chime in with recommendations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.