Troubleshoot my 3 ways

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I'm a newbie who magically acquired two floor standing Panasonic SB-273D. These are 3 way speakers with 4 components in each cabinet. I am trying to wire them to my Kenwood VR-705 receiver. It seems that the tweeters are the only thing that actually produce sound. I currently have them wired on the left and right speakers ports on the back of the receiver. There is only one set of terminals on the back of the speakers. Do you think the crossover is damaged? Like I said, I am relatively new to this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

The only other ports are surround, sub woofer, and center. I wired them to the subwoofer port to test it and the receiver turned off because of a difference in ohms, is what I'm guessing...

Do I need an amplifier? Better receiver? or are they just crappy speakers, which I assume but still should have a deeper sound to them.

Thanks.

They're unlikely to be very high quality, compared to some more up-to-date speakers.

However, with a pair of 10" drivers per side, they'd likely make great party speakers.

All sorts of things may have gone wrong with them.

First up, gently push on each woofer cone in turn. Do any of them have any nasty scraping sounds?
Next up, take each woofer out (disconnect the terminals), and apply a 9v battery to the terminals. You'll hear a thump as the cone moves a few mm. If the cone doesn't move, the woofer is faulty and needs replacing.
The midrange cone is more delicate. Use a 1.5v battery, and don't hold it on for long. Same test - it should click.

If all the drivers check out, move on to the crossover. Take lots of photos, post them up on here. If there are any values on the components, label them so we can figure out what the crossover's doing.

It might be that some of the crossover components have given up working and have gone short/open circuit. With a circuit diagram we can determine what's likely to give the symptoms you have (probably).

Ensure the wires are continuous (ie, from the connection on the back to the crossover to the drivers), and there are no obvious signs of damage.

HTH

Chris

They're unlikely to be very high quality, compared to some more up-to-date speakers.

However, with a pair of 10" drivers per side, they'd likely make great party speakers.

Thanks Chris. I wasn't expecting anything great but something more and yes party speakers. I've done the 9 volt test before but not on these. The cones are centered with no scraping on the coils or anything. Foam is in good shape. I doubt it's the speakers being bad but most likely the crossover, this is where my inexperience comes in. I understand what a crossover does, I just haven't dealt with one before, so its all foreign to me.

I will take the time to pull them and test each one. I'll be back with results.

Thanks for the input.

All sorts of things may have gone wrong with them.

First up, gently push on each woofer cone in turn. Do any of them have any nasty scraping sounds?
Next up, take each woofer out (disconnect the terminals), and apply a 9v battery to the terminals. You'll hear a thump as the cone moves a few mm. If the cone doesn't move, the woofer is faulty and needs replacing.
The midrange cone is more delicate. Use a 1.5v battery, and don't hold it on for long. Same test - it should click.

If all the drivers check out, move on to the crossover. Take lots of photos, post them up on here. If there are any values on the components, label them so we can figure out what the crossover's doing.

It might be that some of the crossover components have given up working and have gone short/open circuit. With a circuit diagram we can determine what's likely to give the symptoms you have (probably).

Ensure the wires are continuous (ie, from the connection on the back to the crossover to the drivers), and there are no obvious signs of damage.

HTH

Chris

Alright, I took one of them apart. All speakers are up and running. I tested the other cabinet to the sub woofer input and the woofers work but the tweeter and midrange don't. I assume I am using the incorrect outputs from the receiver but doesn't look like there is a better one. I tried wiring both sub woofer and right speaker ports into the one cabinet and the receiver shut off, like a fuse breaker. I am guessing this is due to a difference in ohms?...So it appears my choices are wiring the speakers to the receiver separately or fixing the crossover or would that be working if the woofers worked?

The crossovers say "TECHNICS SUPS 100" I believe.

Stupid speakers.I have a car amplifier and a 10 amp computer power supply but there are no rca audio outputs on the back of the receiver to get the sound to the amplifier. And if I could make that work, I still need a remote for the amplifier to adjust volume. I've been trying a bunch of new ways but am no expert.

If anyone has another solution or a new/better way to wire all of my speakers that would be great.

For reference, I have a Kenwood VR705 5.1 surround sound receiver. So it I have two old speakers wired the surround outputs. I have a pair of Cerwin Vega bookshelf speakers wired to the center output and I have the sub woofer, left and right speaker ports available. I also have a Polk 10" powered woofer hooked into the headphone jack on the front. I guess I have enough for a good movie but would like to get these speakers running the way they should.

Sorry for the novel...

I think what I am going to end up doing is wiring each speaker separately. As I was testing each output I noticed the tweeters worked best in left and right speaker ports, mid-ranges in center output and woofers in sub woofer port. I don't think its a crossover issue as much it is a receiver output issue. Maybe if I had them wired to an amplifier like I discussed before, but that just seems like a whole other can of worms, unless its easier than it sounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.