How does this crossover work? (pics) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2013, 06:39 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I found nothing strange. Plenty of people would advise you swap TW phase. Problem is that you always got a very complex sound picture inside the car (I bet it is automobile installation design) So, some people tend to say that by inverting twitter phase you could build a proper sound image (scene). Which I think is scrap unless you invest some money in expensive phase detect equipment and you are capable to measure any phase shift at all =)
Old 7th January 2013, 01:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontw View Post
Thanks! I was looking for another source... How do I tell if they are decent audio quality components?
An inductor is just a tightly wound coil of enameled wire. So just about any inductor is an "audio quality" component. However some inductors might not be suitable for your particular application depending on whether it is air or iron core and the gauge of wire. Generally you would want to stick to air core and wire gauge not greater than #20 ( that is smaller wire).

By the way I think that MCM Electronics no longer sells inductors. So that leaves you with Parts Express or the other vendors that others have mentioned. If you don't need inductance greater than 1 mH, I suppose that generally the price anywhere you can get it is not too expensive.

Some say that electrolytic capacitors should be avoided as eventually they dry out and claim that they contribute audible distortion. The part about contributing audible distortion is I would say debatable. Perhaps the other types of caps are a better choice, but you did say that you wanted cheap, and that is incompatible with the greatly increased cost of what is at best probably a fairly slight improvement.

Regards,
Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!