Canned Crossover Design - What Next?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sure.

I made up a few of them, the caps/coils sounded about the same; I highly recommend mundorf resistors for the tweeter (2).

Attachments

• W17 XO March 24.jpg
    W17 XO March 24.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 177
  • March 23.jpg
    March 23.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 170
That Silver Flute vented 8" bass cone looks very nice, ODougbo! :)

A decision for you is going to be whether to wall mount it (ie Bookshelf), or freestand it with a bigger bafflestep coil away from the wall.

Looks like you just put a gentle notch at 4kHz and the slope is ideal for a simple crossover around 2.5 to 3kHz.

There's something you must know about the 8" woofer, 1" tweeter combination though. On a flat baffle you can get it phase aligned at crossover, but no better. With a bit of time alignment, you can get the phase alignment pretty much as good as you like across the 1kHz to 10kHz range. Being able to recess the tweeter between 3-6cms (more bafflestep needs more recessing) is just ideal, and your Penguin design seems able to accommodate this.

8" woofers also are rather loud, and it can be a struggle to get the tweeter loud enough, especially with the more efficient bookshelf designs.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
Power to the Penguin

Thanks Steve, again very happy with the manufacturing of SF woofer (I'm sure the price will jump eventually). They look like "shallow" throw drivers (8" xmax is 5mm), which is suited nicely for the front port idea.
Free Standing. But will move closer as necessary in to wall to increase bass.
I have a stash of the old MDT28/30: 91db, 8ohm, same as woofer, which should be a nice change. I'll start there but willing to try others. I will miss the lightness of the Vifa X25. I'm curious if the newer Morels have better top end than the old generation.
Power to the Penguins! I have a flat pack of scrap wood at the ready, to build test box: 1,375cubic inch, tuned at 50hz. They are easy to build; will take some photos to show the 3 places that need need a fine fit, other than that, router trimming, etc.

xo and xo's point...2,000 - 2,500

As mentioned in PM, here's the circuit that fixes the phase problems on the 8 ohm Silver Flute vented Woofer on a flat baffle. The 4kHz tank mainly fixes Phase. Sadly it doesn't work with the 4 ohm version.

It needs a special and EFFICIENT +90dB tweeter to make it work, and I had luck with a TW70 and KE25SC by Visaton. Maybe your Morels. Really don't know. You need a tweeter that dips into a saddle below 4.5kHz. This is a surprisingly high 3.5kHz crossover. Long live the Penguin. :D

Attachments

• ODougbo_Circuit.PNG
    ODougbo_Circuit.PNG
    6.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Thanks for the help with the xo, not my forte :confused:

As you see a Morel ~ but placed it high the "tab" can be cut flush with top of cab.

Test box tuned at 40hz, but lots of materiel to trim/cut down (vent strips x 4).

New Pic - Looks the same as the 6.5 woofer, but this is the new 8" in a 1400 cubic inch box.

Attachments

• 40hz.JPG
    40hz.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 64
Thinking now I got this right; can start to hear some chuff chuff around 40hz, but the cone movement is really exaggerated and its fairly faint. The woofer is surprisingly "smooth"; without any damping material.
Still looking for xo and tweeter selection (tweeter shown is for photo only)

Make sure you're sitting down before opening :eek:

The Madisound Speaker Store

Beware bargains, ODougbo. That's a 4 ohm version of the Morel MDT-30S. It might get tricky on crossover and impedance. Not saying it can't be done, but adds a layer of complexity.

Some very interesting designs to groove over at Tetra Speakers. They use SEAS and Morel which are the "Rolls-Royce" of drivers, IMO. I got there while investigating Tetrahedral designs...:)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well, why not? :D

New tweeter pic - going to try a ScanSpeak D2606/92200. The Madisound Speaker Store

Which I just realized looks like a Vifa D27TG that I bought years ago, and never found a home for them, I hope they improved them :confused:

On a side note, I'm finding its a whole lot safer to set speakers drivers in, from outside-in with scrap wood, vs. cutting a hole and using a typical 3/8" - 1/2" rabbit bit.

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 160
Results? Well good :eek: I thought the bass would rattle floors; not really.
I was more impressed with the 6.5" SF. Although, not bad for a 1st try.

Again good imaging - I think the high tweeter mounting is the way to go.

I like the new Discovery 1 Tweeter w/chamber, handles more power and goes lower.

The 6.5" and the Discovery tweeter might be a good combination. I would have to flip them and come up with a xo.

Attachments

• SF 8 vs. 65 (5).JPG
    SF 8 vs. 65 (5).JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
New project is going well, not a bad woofer. I think the 6.5 is a little quicker (might be my imagination).

If anything is amiss, I'd say the tweeter could be a bit brighter. Is this an easy fix, would I just remove the 1.5 resistor?

Attachments

• Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 81
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.