Air-tight & removable. Installing drivers. Product suggestions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 02:40 AM   #1
dstmbgh is offline dstmbgh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Air-tight & removable. Installing drivers. Product suggestions?

How do you install loudspeaker drivers to create an air-tight seal that will last indefinitely and yet still allow the driver to be removed without damage at some later point in time? What products/methods have worked best for you and which would you not use again? The larger, flat profile of a tweeter's flange is of particular concern -- how to provide uniform support so the flange does not distort upon tightening.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have custom gaskets made for my drivers. They are made overseas somewhere, possibly Thailand, but you do communicate by email with an English speaking person.

Have done two orders so far, and had very good results with decent pricing.

Gaskets-to-Go Custom Gaskets-Home Page
Old 4th January 2013, 04:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Good point to have it done if you are not using a knife.
If you want just get some of the right material and DIY.
(Some good material, I don't have the name right now, is the plastic/rubber rolls used for the impermeabilization of tunnels.) You can look at sites where they specify the tech name.
Quote:
The PVC plastic used to make shower pans makes a great gasket material. Cardboard works pretty well too. It's easy to make gaskets.
Wayne Parham
AudioRoundTable.com: Pi Speakers => Gaskets
Old 6th January 2013, 04:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I use neoprene draught excluder that I got from ebay. To get a perfect joint, just overlap it and cut through both pieces with a sharp Stanley knife of craft knife.

Hide this!Advertise here!