Sony SS-B2ED

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello for Everyone!

I am an old fan of this site, but now this is my first to time to come up with something... Very shortly about myself: I am a speaker designer, worked as design engineer for a well known Audiophile speaker manufacturer for more than 10 years. Since then i am on my own, doing it mainly as a hobby, designing, modding speakers for friends, and anyone who finds me.Recently I acquired a very interesting and promising looking pair of Sony speakers, the SS-B2ED.
They were designed, and built by Sony in the UK, claiming they were tuned to "British" ears. My initial impressions were not bad, they are wery well built (almost 7kg. a piece) real wood veneer, cast frame Kevlar-cone woofer, and a unique tweeter -carbon grapite- they say, bi-wired terminals, etc. After ripping them apart and some experimentation, I modified the tuning, and the crossower a bit, but nothing major reworking was done. Now they easily outperform most of the $ 1000 category speakers I know and heard. Extremely fast, dynamic, and -icing on the cake- their high frequency range is just plain incredible. So shortly -if you are a lucky owner of them- here is the mod description: Pull out the reflex tube (it is easy, they are just press-fit), and with a suitable diameter cardboard or plastic tube lenghten them by 35 mm (1.-1/3 inch), then glue them back, so they will not fall out. The woofer crossover is a single (hefty) laminate core coil, here I just added a Zobel network, parallel with the woofer, made up of a 6.8 uF PP capacitor, and a 3.7 ohm 2W MOX resistor. And that's all. Now they sound absolutely stunning, perfectly satisfying my listening "needs". So., if you have them, give them a try....

Andrew from Hungary

The mod is detailed in the first post.

Here is the mod description:

"Pull out the reflex tube (it is easy, they are just press-fit), and with a suitable diameter cardboard or plastic tube lengthen them by 35 mm (1.-1/3 inch), then glue them back, so they will not fall out. The woofer crossover is a single (hefty) laminate core coil, here I just added a Zobel network, parallel with the woofer, made up of a 6.8 uF PP capacitor, and a 3.7 ohm 2W MOX resistor. And that's all. Now they sound absolutely stunning, perfectly satisfying my listening "needs".

6.8 uF PP = 6.8 microfarad Polypropylene Capacitor 100 Volt rating or greater.
2W MOX = 2Watt metal oxide resistor of value 3.7ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.