infinity modulus crossover upgrade suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am from Switzerland and recently bought Infinity Modulus monitors. They were made in 1990. I am thinking to upgrade the crossover components. Capacitors used for Tweeters are of Solen and made in 1990.
Solen 4.3uf
Solen 5.1uf

Capacitors for Mid-Woofer used are 2 x film type and one non Polar.

Film type with 2uf and 12uf
Non polar is electrolytic with 16uf.

I am planning to upgrade the 2 Solen in Tweeter with Jantzen Z-Silver type.

For Mid-Woofer I am not sure what to use? Solen or also Jnatzen?

What would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Attachments

• DSC01980 (2).jpg
    DSC01980 (2).jpg
    543 KB · Views: 362
  • Modulus_technical_sheet.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 168
Hello, thanks for your reply. Yes Caps in tweeter are different than in manuel. I am thinking to use both with 4.7uf. Both are in series and have tolal capacitence of 9.4uf. Both Solen used are 4.1+5.3= 9.4uf. Is that ok?
The missing Cap 2uf and some components are soldered back side of the crossover board. Big yellow cap is 12uf 100v.
Would be better to change the yellow aps with solen MKP, electrolytic with MKP and all resistors with Mills wirewound?
I can spend around $300 for all if its really worth. Speakers sound good but I have feelings, with good components they will be great mini monitors.
Thanks for your suggestions

I ordered 4 x Jantzen silver z-cap 4.7uf for Tweeter and 4 x Solen (2 x 12uf and 2 x 2.2uf) for mid-bass. C5 NPE 16uf has not any replacement untill now.

Will try with 0.22uf Jantzen Silver z-cap to bypass the Solen 12uf and NPE 16uf.

I would like to remove the volume control from tweeter's signal path and will rewire with Rowen copper cable.

Will post the pictures.

I am thinking to use both with 4.7uf. Both are in series and have tolal capacitence of 9.4uf. Both Solen used are 4.1+5.3= 9.4uf. Is that ok?

Not that way -those caps are not in parallel, take a look on service manual you've atached.

I've simulated changes in crossover C1=4.3 and C2=5.1 vs C1=4.7 and C2=4.7: you will get drope -1.5dB at 3.2K followed by peak +2.5dB at 3.8K, which slowly will go to 0db at 10K.

Afraid that with better caps you will do downgrade to the sound, as in this case small changes in values have big impact on responce.

This is the picture how you will change the responce curve:

Attachments

• Infinity.jpg
    Infinity.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 143
Hello Xjr100, thanks for your response. You mean the response of the tweeter will be different if I use 2 4.7uf caps?

But if the Emit is crossedover at 4000Hz in Modulus as states in manual, will it still make difference in final sound after using 2 4.7uf as you simulated? Will these caps will modify the sound of mid-woofer response as well?

Infinity Modulus

Introduced: 1991
Dimensions: 30 x 18 x 27 cm
Bass: 1 x 14 cm
Highs: 1 x EMIT
Suggested for amplifiers with: 25-125 Watts per channel
Frequency range: 80 Hz - 45 kHz
Crossover frequencies: 4000 Hz

Last edited:
You mean the response of the tweeter will be different if I use 2 4.7uf caps?
Yes and no: more exact say is that speaker responce will be different, as at crossover point sound is summarized from tweeter and woofer. It does not mean that woofer stops playing at srossover point and then plays only tweeter.

If you do not have measurement microphone it is better to keep same values of caps. Search forum and there will be some links to measurement software and equipment - it will seriosly help you.

Hello, the exact value of these capacitors 4.3uf and 5.1uf are dificult to find.

In tweeter crossover manual they have two caps each 4.3uf. Why they used one 5.1uf? I must open the other speaker to see if both have same value capacitors or different.

I will definate check the speaker response with mic before and after upgrade. If it will not work I can still use the original caps.

Is there more things to consider before I start changing these caps?

Hello, the exact value of these capacitors 4.3uf and 5.1uf are dificult to find.

In tweeter crossover manual they have two caps each 4.3uf. Why they used one 5.1uf? I must open the other speaker to see if both have same value capacitors or different.

I will definate check the speaker response with mic before and after upgrade. If it will not work I can still use the original caps.

Is there more things to consider before I start changing these caps?
sheraz80, I suppose that Infinity engineeres were tuning crossover, maybe values of coils are also different. Or it could happen that some changes were in speaker drivers - it happens that batches can slightly differ in parameters and speaker manufacturers apply some changes to crossover to get same sound.

For 4.3 you can use 3.3+1uF in parallel, and for 5.1 - 3.3+1.8 in parallel to get exact values.

To measure speakers before and after upgrade it is a must.

I've played with crossover in LspCAD - if you need crossover file I can e-mail you.

I would like to remove the volume control from tweeter's signal path and will rewire with Rowen copper cable.
I've searched web for Rowen cables, and advice you to go for something more special to audio industry.

It could look as self-promotion, but advice you the following cables for speaker wiring:
DH-Labs SH-18 (silver-coated copper): 18 gauge silver plated copper. Excellent for loudspeaker internal wiring, Black - Fidelity Components Shop
or
Auric Hook-up 18 AWG (copper): Audience AV, Auric, Hookup, wire, 18 AWG

Both cables are used by different speaker manufactures in quite expensive systems (>5.000eur/pair).

To connect crossover to terminal you can use double twisted and for speaker drivers single cable.

Hello xjr100, thanks, the second cable you mentioned seems interesting.

can you please simulate the crossover in tweeter with first cap 4.7uf and second 5.14uf (4.7 + .22 + .22)? I would like to know the results.

2 different good parallel cap for exact value will cost a lot like Jantzen oder Mundorf.

What do you suggest to replace non polar electrolytic cap with 16uf with? Due to its ESR should here only electrolytic be used?

can you please simulate the crossover in tweeter with first cap 4.7uf and second 5.14uf (4.7 + .22 + .22)? I would like to know the results.

What do you suggest to replace non polar electrolytic cap with 16uf with? Due to its ESR should here only electrolytic be used?
Can you please tell me which of your caps in tweeter schematics is close to tweeter? If I look on original manual where both are 4.3 - which one is 4.3 and which one is 5.1? It is important.

About non-polar 16uF: I wouldn change it. Just measure it that it is still 16uF (almost sure that it is OK, as I had old Technics from 70th and there electrolytics were OK)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.