infinity modulus crossover upgrade suggestions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2013, 09:19 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Maybe buy a speaker you like the sound of in the first place
Old 5th January 2013, 10:27 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hello madtecchy, you mean its totally waste of time and money to upgrade the crossover of these little monitors? I mentioned before that they sound good. But after 23 years do not we have more precise component to replace the older ones? Would not it be worth to try?
Old 5th January 2013, 10:30 AM   #13
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheraz80 View Post
Hello, the exact value of these capacitors 4.3uf and 5.1uf are dificult to find.

In tweeter crossover manual they have two caps each 4.3uf. Why they used one 5.1uf? I must open the other speaker to see if both have same value capacitors or different.

I will definate check the speaker response with mic before and after upgrade. If it will not work I can still use the original caps.

Is there more things to consider before I start changing these caps?
sheraz80, I suppose that Infinity engineeres were tuning crossover, maybe values of coils are also different. Or it could happen that some changes were in speaker drivers - it happens that batches can slightly differ in parameters and speaker manufacturers apply some changes to crossover to get same sound.

For 4.3 you can use 3.3+1uF in parallel, and for 5.1 - 3.3+1.8 in parallel to get exact values.

To measure speakers before and after upgrade it is a must.

I've played with crossover in LspCAD - if you need crossover file I can e-mail you.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:41 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would like to remove the volume control from tweeter's signal path and will rewire with Rowen copper cable.
I've searched web for Rowen cables, and advice you to go for something more special to audio industry.

It could look as self-promotion, but advice you the following cables for speaker wiring:
DH-Labs SH-18 (silver-coated copper): 18 gauge silver plated copper. Excellent for loudspeaker internal wiring, Black - Fidelity Components Shop
or
Auric Hook-up 18 AWG (copper): Audience AV, Auric, Hookup, wire, 18 AWG

Both cables are used by different speaker manufactures in quite expensive systems (>5.000eur/pair).

To connect crossover to terminal you can use double twisted and for speaker drivers single cable.
Old 6th January 2013, 09:20 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hello xjr100, thanks, the second cable you mentioned seems interesting.

can you please simulate the crossover in tweeter with first cap 4.7uf and second 5.14uf (4.7 + .22 + .22)? I would like to know the results.

2 different good parallel cap for exact value will cost a lot like Jantzen oder Mundorf.

What do you suggest to replace non polar electrolytic cap with 16uf with? Due to its ESR should here only electrolytic be used?
Old 6th January 2013, 02:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
can you please simulate the crossover in tweeter with first cap 4.7uf and second 5.14uf (4.7 + .22 + .22)? I would like to know the results.

What do you suggest to replace non polar electrolytic cap with 16uf with? Due to its ESR should here only electrolytic be used?
Can you please tell me which of your caps in tweeter schematics is close to tweeter? If I look on original manual where both are 4.3 - which one is 4.3 and which one is 5.1? It is important.

About non-polar 16uF: I wouldn change it. Just measure it that it is still 16uF (almost sure that it is OK, as I had old Technics from 70th and there electrolytics were OK)
Old 6th January 2013, 08:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hello xjr100, I have not open the speaker yet as I am waiting for the Caps to arrive. I will let you know once I am so far.

Any other suggestions you think could be better?

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!