Mission 700 Woofer Replacements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to source replacement woofers, as the pic shows the orig was made by Siare model number SPCG3D.

My old man has already tried years ago of taping splits up etc with predictably bad results but say no more.

Tried to contact Mission but the webform doesn't send so Ill try again later. Also contacted ampaholics to see what they have.

I don't necessarily want an exact replacement if something cheaper/readily available will do the trick.

Many thanks for any assistance here, Happy New Year.

Attachments

• 20130102_133720.jpg
    20130102_133720.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 384
  • 20130102_142718.jpg
    20130102_142718.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 379
  • 20130102_142746.jpg
    20130102_142746.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
I have that exact same model and my foam rotted out about 5 or 10 years ago. my spkr system was bought new in 1982 or around that time. got lots of years from it and it was my favorite spkr for its size/price.

I also need a refoam or new woofer.

(or, if anyone wants my cabinets and tweeters, I'm open to let them go cheap) ;)

Thanks but it's the driver that's broken not just the surround unfortunately.

I'm tempted to try and salvage the cabinets and ditch the crossover and see if a full range driver will work, but bow to the forums better judgement first.

If not I'll have a look for a replacement woofer.

Cabinet dims are:

Internal Vol = 11.9 litre (19.5 litre without foam)
External Size = 460 x 260 x 243 (38.5" x 21.7" x 20.25")
Port = 56mm dia wide and 95mm deep, placed 109mm from base edge to its centre point, and 51mm from left hand outer edge to its left hand edge.

I can fill in the woofer and tweeter holes to suit.

Or I can scrap the lot.

Thanks for any advice
Nathan

Last edited:
That link is perfect thanks!

I was also looking at adapting the cabinet for some Fostex FF165K as they are higher sensitivity and not too much dearer that the Monacor SPH 210.

thanks again, Im new to speaker building and hate to see old items left ruined really but at over £80 to repair i could prob buy some from ebay and re foam theirs.

converting to full range drives would work perhaps?

Last edited:
Replacement woofers for Mission 700s

A few years ago I replaced the woofers on my Mission 700s with Peerless, catalogue number 832737 woofers. A good fit and to my ears sound very good, though, as a bit of a purist I now regret throwing away the originals (the foam surrounds had completely disintegrated) - didn't know that the foam surrounds could be replaced. Good luck.

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if my driver is broken on a one Mission 700 speaker I want to restore. The speaker part itself looks in very good shape. The driver itself too.

Still I only hear the tweeter vaguely with no mid or sub at all.

Is there a way to find out which component is "broken" on the driver board?

Sorry for getting up this old thread.

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if my driver is broken on a one Mission 700 speaker I want to restore. The speaker part itself looks in very good shape. The driver itself too.

Still I only hear the tweeter vaguely with no mid or sub at all.

Is there a way to find out which component is "broken" on the driver board?

Sorry for getting up this old thread.

Sure there is. Connect a 1.5V AA battery across the woofer terminals and you should hear a scratchy noise if it is still working. The woofer should move forward with + to + polarity on this test.

Or measure what you like with a multimeter on the low ohm scale and you should get 6R from a driver.

Not rocket science.

Hi all
I've got a pair of Missioni 700s from the early 80s. The woofers' foam is all eaten away and I'm pretty sure that they are not functioning properly. I contacted Mission who say that they only have replacement tweeters not woofers. So this forum suggests that the Monacor speakers are best (at https://www.monacor.com/en-gb/monac...gy/speaker-technology/hi-fi-speakers/sph-210/).

However they're not cheap and I'd be interested in finding out for sure if they are blown or whether the driver or crossover is damaged. But how do I do that? You can't access the cabinets other than via the speaker holes as far as I can see and the inside is lined with foam. I couldn't see the drivers or crossovers. Where are they?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

I have some mission 700's that I bought in college during the early 80's. cab, xo and tweets are fine. woofers are rotted all to hell ;(

seems only .uk and .de have this spkr? I'm in the US and shipping seems like it could kill the deal. wonder if anyone knows of a US source for these?

or, would there be enough interest to get a mini group buy going? not sure if that even makes sense, but I sure would like to get my missions working again; they were a great system and I got a good 20 yrs from them before the rotting foam thing happened.

I have rarely seen such a useless thread! What is a Mission 700? No clue here! Everybody giving up by the look of it. :confused:

...Cabinet dims are:

Internal Vol = 11.9 litre (19.5 litre without foam)
External Size = 460 x 260 x 243 (38.5" x 21.7" x 20.25")
Port = 56mm dia wide and 95mm deep, placed 109mm from base edge to its centre point, and 51mm from left hand outer edge to its left hand edge.
How is that supposed to help? When did 460mm = 38.5"? :rolleyes:

Fixing this speaker, whatever ails it, should be quite straightforward. There's really not much to it. Woofers are woofers, tweeters are tweeters. In this case it seems to be an 8" plastic polycone in 20L, which for noobs translates to a 6" cone, and what looks like a 94mm ferrofluid 3/4" soft dome.

Make a note of what wires go where as you disassemble, though this sort of speaker is always positive polarity anyway. Then measure the cutout holes to see what will fit, then just replace with new screws in new holes:
Typical well-behaved 8" plastic polycone reflex Bass:
Vifa P21WO-20-08 Diameter 215mm

Typical flat 94mm 88dB 3/4" tweeters:
Seas 19TFF1 - H0737-08 Diameter 94mm
Seas 19TAFD G - H0532-08 Diameter 94mm

Other options include refoaming the bass, and redoing dried up ferrofluid on the tweeter:
Ferrofluid 100uL General Purpose for 1" Diameter V.C.

As always, results depend on effort. I do stuff like improve and rebuild cheap crossovers. DIY isn't hard, and a lot of folks here can tell you exactly how to do stuff. Just ask.

Attachments

• MA R300-MD Speaker.JPG
    MA R300-MD Speaker.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 114
  • Monitor_Audio_Crosover_Typical.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_Crosover_Typical.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Monitor_Audio_Internals.jpg
    Monitor_Audio_Internals.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 84
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.