tweeter horn directivity - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 12:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default tweeter horn directivity

How would you characterize directivity of a tweeter horn? Some other threads here at diyaudio refer to a constant directivity horn- is that the case with all tweeter horns, or does it depend on the particular design?

One post in a thread here at diyaudio claims that a tweeter horn has greater directivity than a dome tweeter. An article at wikipedia claims that a tweeter horn has less directivity than a tweeter that is not horn-loaded.

The reason I ask is that I have several Pioneer AHE60-53F horn tweeters that I think might be suitable for what I want to do. If this horn tweeter has constant directivity and not too narrow, say 45 deg. to one side of the radiation axis, that would be acceptable.

Also, if anyone has used this Pioneer horn tweeter, would a crossover frequency of 2 kHz be acceptable with this tweeter?

Regards,
Pete
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:12 AM   #2
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I cant answer this question directly, but if you head over to Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance, click on forum, register then click on Sticky FAQ this is lots of interesting information.
No doubt one of the 'esteemed' will answer shortly here - a picture of the horn tweeter might help generate interest as well.........
Old 2nd January 2013, 06:22 AM   #3
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

It's an expo, so will have a collapsing directivity with increasing frequency [rising on axis] similar to a cone tweeter. You need a relatively large waveguide for constant directivity.

Based on the limited info, it's probably fine down to 2 kHz.

GM
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks to sippy and GM for your responses.

Connecting the tweeter and a 470 Ohm resistor in series across the output terminals of my sine wave generator, I measured a slight rise in voltage drop across the input terminals of the tweeter at about 1.4 kHz. I didn't hear a noticeable drop of sound level until around 1 kHz. So thanks for the comment, GM, it does seem that I can use it at 2 kHz.

Photo of the tweeter to follow, shortly, hopefully.

Regards,
Pete
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here is a photo of the tweeter-

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by cT equals piD; 2nd January 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, here is a link to the photo,

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=0Rbs2bhm0bOPg
Old 4th January 2013, 01:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Maybe this will work,

PICT0048.JPG

Hey, there we go! I figured this out by reading the mostly clear article, "How do I upload images or files" the link to which can be found on the diyaudio support page.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

By the way, so far on the web I have only seen references to the AHE60-51F, not -53F.
Do you think that I have a collector's item, possibly worth millions?

But seriously, if anybody knows in what way -53F differs from -51F, I'd like to hear from you.

Regards,
Pete
Old 4th January 2013, 04:52 AM   #9
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Practice makes perfect!

The 53 doesn't show up in any of my old catalogs, so can only assume that the mounting holes and decorative ring are the only differences.

GM
Old 4th January 2013, 05:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
The 53 doesn't show up in any of my old catalogs, so can only assume that the mounting holes and decorative ring are the only differences.
GM
Thanks, your feedback is much appreciated! I don't have the specs for the 53, but I do for the 51.

Regards,
Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!