Crossover capacitor voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Going up in voltage shouldn't affect them too much but try to stay reasonably close. Also match both L&R speakers as different caps may have different voices.

In a crossover they are usually bipolars or film types anyway. However, in a DC environment you do have to consider the DC potential across the cap. Some caps may not exude their full capacitance with only a small DC voltage across them. IOW, the electrolytic boundary that establishes the capacitance is in itself governed by the DC voltage across it.

Going up in voltage shouldn't affect them too much but try to stay reasonably close. Also match both L&R speakers as different caps may have different voices.

In a crossover they are usually bipolars or film types anyway. However, in a DC environment you do have to consider the DC potential across the cap. Some caps may not exude their full capacitance with only a small DC voltage across them. IOW, the electrolytic boundary that establishes the capacitance is in itself governed by the DC voltage across it.

I am replacing the electrolytic as well but I have found a matching UF/V and voltage. So it's better to try the 400v instead of the 600 or 630?

In theory, the higher voltage may have lower distortion. Films will be closer to the design value than electro's, don't age, and are far cleaner. (That electro spec may be -20, +200%) I find even a cheap film to be better than any electro. My verdict is out on high price caps. Is a Clarity really better than a Dayton? I am not sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.