Adding a super tweeter to a full range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK. Here they are.....

The crossover:
Tweeter7.jpg

The crossover had to be able to fit inside the enclosure, it was a tight fit!
Tweeter8.jpg

Finished tweeters with custom made cables:
Tweeter9.jpg

I'm very pleased with the finish and the sound :)

Reactions: 1 user
Good idea cogitech.

Here is my crossover design for the Dayton ND20FA-6 tweeters when being used with the CSS EL70 full range drivers:

XOver.png

This gives a second order crossover at around 18600Hz with 12dB of attenuation per octave. The resistors attenuate the tweeter by 6dB.

I feel this works very well with the EL70's at giving that little extra sparkle.

:)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Good idea cogitech.

Here is my crossover design for the Dayton ND20FA-6 tweeters when being used with the CSS EL70 full range drivers:

XOver.png

This gives a second order crossover at around 18600Hz with 12dB of attenuation per octave. The resistors attenuate the tweeter by 6dB.

I feel this works very well with the EL70's at giving that little extra sparkle.

:)

Awesome!

Just to be clear; You have a single EL70 (4ohm) in each speaker and you are running the tweeter parallel by securing the connectors on the speaker binding posts?

Favorite Hi Tweeter Crossover

Here's an example of my favorite crossover to use on a high tweeter or additional tweeter. It keeps the harshness of voices out of the tweeter, but also raises the end of the response curve some, where the tweeter starts to roll off.

I used this crossover to add some 2 inch 8-ohm tweeters to a pair of speakers each with a pair of 2 inch HiVi A2S Fullrange Aluminum cone drivers in them. Each HiVi A2S Fullrange was 8 ohms, so 4 ohms total with parallel per speaker. I added the 8 ohm tweeter only to help where the A2S rolls off at 15khz, and also since the HiVi speakers are low efficiency, the louder tweeter being crossed so high in frequency made them blend right in without being too quiet to hear them, but not too loud to drown out the speakers either. They were VERY transparent, it made the Full Rangers seem to appear to be producing the upper highs, when it's really the tweeters.

Attachments

• favcrossover.JPG
    favcrossover.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,057
I would consider mounting a second tweeter on the back. It would give an extra 6dB and great spatial sound.

And once in production with a nice design and nice little button to set the level, it would sell easily for 1000 £ / 1500 USD / € (my commission on profit for this idea: 20%)

Hi All,

I am building a 2.1 boom box using a 2.1 TPA3118 based amp which puts out 30W x 2 for the Satellites/FR and 60W x1 for the Subwoofer. There is a crossover built into the amp for the Subwoofer from 30Hz to 150Hz. There is no built in HPF for either the Sub or the FRs.

I am using a pair of Dayton Audio RS100-8 (8 Ohm) for Satellites/FR duties with a first order HPF at 100Hz (200 mfd Cap) and a basic BSC comprising of a 0.90mH Inductor and 6 Ohm Resistor in parallel.

The Sub is a Tang Band W6-1139SIF (4 Ohm) with a first order HPF at 33Hz (1200 mfd Cap).

The sound is pretty controlled and coherent. The only thing missing are the topmost frequencies when I compare it with my main system which is a three way system using separates (I am not comparing sound stage here). The difference in the top end is not much, maybe around 10%. To compensate for this and open up the sound with better dispersion, I was planning on adding AMT tweeters at the top part of the speaker (the top back portion). I was needing some 'clarity' with the wire connections for the same.

I've read that we need to wire the tweeter after the +VE terminal of the FR and add a Cap to the +VE terminal of the Tweeter (I plan to use a 2 mfd Cap for a 10KHz first order HPF considering a 8 ohm Tweeter). My confusion is with the fact that I have a BSC in place BEFORE the +VE terminal of the FR. How will this affect the high frequencies going towards the Tweeter which is wired AFTER the FR. Do I need to wire the Tweeter some other way?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.