Looking for diy active speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 04:33 PM   #1
kumori is offline kumori  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for diy active speakers

Hallo,

are there some established diy designs or kits out there for 2- or 3-way active speakers?

My long term plan involves building some really good speakers (at some point in the future, I do not have time & the money at the moment), but I only find "conventional" designs with passive crossovers. I am looking for well documented kits (from people who know what they are doing with the speakers, unlike me) with good drivers and cabinet buildings.

As I see it, all good 2- or 3-way diy designs with expensive drivers always use crossover parts that easily exceed the price of the drivers, making the hole package even more expensive.

Also, for good results, shortcomings in the frequency response are often addressed with correction networks in the crossover, what makes just swapping the passive crossover with an active one not possible.

So, assuming there are benefits from an active solution (without opening a discussion about this here):
Are there any documented and approved designs, that only need an active crossover? With active crossover, I mean a simple allen-key, or similiar arrangements, no DSP based solutions.
For example: Here is a box with two drivers, it sounds good without correction networks and needs an active filter at this frequency with this steepness...

I know there a some manufacturers like Wilmslow-Audio that can build and design something to your needs, but this is somehow "closed source". The diy world is full of openly discussed designs for nearly everything, but for active speakers, I donīt seem to find something... Maybe it is more easy than I think.

Any hints appreciated,
Thanks
Flo
Old 30th December 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A member is selling here:

FS Scan Speak SB Acoustics Hypex Custom Powered Monitors

I'm not affiliate & don't have commision.

Good lucky.
Felipe
Old 30th December 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Filipe,

I should have stated this earlier, but I am looking for a standmount speaker, with higher cabinet volume. I doesnīt have to be a 15 inch sub, but slightly bigger than the posted monitors...

Here are some designs that I find interesting, but both of them use some passive correction networks. I canīt really tell if that would make them unusable with active crossovers...

Illumina-66

VOGUE - Platinum

http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/...RITIC_TRK1.pdf
Old 30th December 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK, I just realized, this is the wrong sub forum. Damn...
Old 30th December 2012, 08:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Sorted.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 30th December 2012, 08:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 08:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

first of all I love Troels Gravesen projects , that illumina-66 looks stunning ,
I looked for something like you do but for less general use (active monitors) and I ended up with NOTHING , there s not that much active designs out there , Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design has some designs for an active system and it sells all the boards you need for that , with abit of knowledge you can make it to work with any setup you want , but that s far beyond my experience , Finally I give active xo idea up , cuz what I look for can easily (and less expensive) and even better be done by DSPs , but to ease your pain they are not that much designs for active xos and one of the reason is you have to design an xo specially for a certain kinda speaker and cabinet in mind , and doing so needs some knowledge , lotsa experience and some measuring equipment ...

Regards
Ahmad
Old 30th December 2012, 08:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have two systems which can be built as fully active. One is dsp based, the other can be build with analog or dsp crossover.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ahmad, yes, the Gravensen projects are really great. I am also aware of the linkwitz projects, but they are not really what I am looking for.

Regarding the chrossovers, I think it is not too difficult to implement the right kind of filter, provided its crossover-frequency and steepness are known. I have to admit, dsp based solutions are much more flexible here. However, the thing I don't like about dsp is that you need multiple dacs or some dsp based poweramps. Neither of which I have.

I would like to go active the "classic" way, by inserting an analoge active crossover after the pre and a second (or third, if it has to be) poweramp and that's it.

John, did you build your speakers on your own?
Old 31st December 2012, 08:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori View Post
Regarding the chrossovers, I think it is not too difficult to implement the right kind of filter, provided its crossover-frequency and steepness are known.
yes , if you read articles on linkwitz and some other like Rod Elliott on electronic filters you can build one easily , but in case you dont know keep in mind that it s not only an active XO you need to do some shelf filters ,BSC , notch filters as well maybe ... but if i were you i would forget about it for now till I really know how to design an active XO , I would first build a passive one since designing a good active xo is not that easy and you need lotsa error and trial if you don have some equipment ,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori View Post
I have to admit, dsp based solutions are much more flexible here. However, the thing I don't like about dsp is that you need multiple dacs or some dsp based poweramps. Neither of which I have.
whatt ? dsps don t need dacs or dsp based poweramps (what does it even mean) , DSPs usually has 2 RCA input , and 4 or 6 or more RCA output , it has built in DAC , ADC (you can use outside DACs with it but it s an option) and all you need to do is plug it to pc via USB and run the filters on it ,you can connect any RCA to inputs and then connect outputs to ANY power amp you like ...

Last edited by Ahmad_tbp; 31st December 2012 at 08:49 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!